Gaming Spilled Water on my Keyboard

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
pry off the keys, leave the keyboard somewhere warm overnight (or on the windowsill or something during the day) and make sure all the water is evaporated, then put the keys back on and see what happens.

Unless its a laptop keyboard, I'm not sure how those things work. Might have to kind of open it part way and prop it up so its like a /\ shape so the water can attempt to flow out.

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Now you found out the number one reason not to have a drink within 4 feet of any computer part
smile.gif

Maybe you should buy one of those waterproof keyboards if you spill anything on it you can just wipe it off.

darkangel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If it's just regular table water you can try to simply dry it 4-5 days on your radiator. If it was something like coke, it would be your best bet to disassemble the keyboard, take out the three to four transparent layers with the lines and dots, clean it off SOFTLY (as in: Don't rub, just wipe gently. Otherwise you'll "clean" the lines and dots "away", thus rendering your keyboard completely useless.) with 99% isopropyl or ethanol, let it dry for a few minutes and assemble everything back.

edit: If I were you, I'd try the second method first, cause I don't know if your water has any dissolved salts in it, which would remain after simply drying it.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's gonna be very mad when it comes to. If I were you, I'd kill it with fire ASAP.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If it has a membrane in it, good luck in removing the water from it. If it just uses plastic "push-caps" (most cheap keyboards use those), then placing it in a warm place for a while, after having removed the keys (as Law suggested) should be enough.

Porygon-X

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
raulpica said:
If it has a membrane in it, good luck in removing the water from it. If it just uses plastic "push-caps" (most cheap keyboards use those), then placing it in a warm place for a while, after having removed the keys (as Law suggested) should be enough.

I just took it apart. It has the push-cap thingys and a thin sheet with dots and lines. I took all the keysout and washed those along with the outer shell. It's gotten pretty dusty and disgusting all these years.

I spilled plain water on it, and it's sitting by my radiator.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Porygon-X said:
raulpica said:

I just took it apart. It has the push-cap thingys and a thin sheet with dots and lines. I took all the keysout and washed those along with the outer shell. It's gotten pretty dusty and disgusting all these years.

I spilled plain water on it, and it's sitting by my radiator.
This is the reason why they don't let kids drink near computers at schools.
unsure.gif

If it stops working, bring it to a tech guy and see what he can do. If you know a tech guy as a friend, he may even do it for free(I know how it feels
grog.gif
)

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RoyalCardMan said:
If it stops working, bring it to a tech guy and see what he can do. If you know a tech guy as a friend, he may even do it for free(I know how it feels
grog.gif
)
keyboards aren't expensive if you know where to look . unless this is a special type of keyboard, then it'd probably be best to just buy a new one if it doesn't work .

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
RoyalCardMan said:
grog.gif
)
keyboards aren't expensive if you know where to look . unless this is a special type of keyboard, then it'd probably be best to just buy a new one if it doesn't work .
True, if it is a cheap keyboard, buy a new one.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You might also want to invest in a Water-resistant or Water-proof keyboard if you do decide to get a new one.

I guess it kind of depends on how short-circuited the keyboard got when water was spilt on it, if it's too badly shorted then it's not going to be worth the time trying to fix it.

Porygon-X

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
mercluke said:
Porygon-X said:
Ahah. I was doing something stupid with my 1L water bottle.

It's not the first time I spilled stuff on it.
is that so?
smileipb2.png

T_T. IT WAS ACCIDENTAL.

I just put it all back together and it didn't work. So I guess that's done. I "borrowed" my dad's wireless keyboard ATM, until we can find the time to buy another one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one