Square Enix says it remastered Chrono Cross so it wouldn't become an "unplayable" game

During an interview with Square Enix, producer Koichiro Sakamoto revealed that the recent Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers remaster wasn't just created to celebrate the original game's 20th anniversary, but to also ensure that Chrono Cross would remain playable for fans. Sakamoto stated that as a PlayStation 1 disc, Chrono Cross was available on the PS2 and PS3 through backwards compatibility, but there were fears from Square Enix that with the lack of PS1 support on the PlayStation 4, the game would become "unplayable" entirely.

Back when the project was launched, Chrono Cross was possibly going to become unplayable. There was a Game Archive service on PlayStation 3 that allowed you to play PlayStation 1 games. But PlayStation 4 was already on the market. We didn't know at the time if PlayStation 4 would also have a Game Archive service. It looked like Chrono Cross could become unplayable. So, a remaster project was set up. That's the backstory.

Ironically, Chrono Cross's remaster was rife with bugs and framerate inconsistencies, making the game quite unplayable for some on the PS4. Only just recently did the game get a patch that promised to fix many of the issues players had with the remaster at launch.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XIS is literally the 3ds version ported to the new gen systems, 2d mode, extra missions, the old games quests (3ds handled them much better)
They wouldn't localize a game from that many years ago on such an old system at this point.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When they are going to remaster Star Ocean: The Second Story like they did with first that is available on Switch? Not enough buy first Star Ocean?

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
You ever work with code? I have seen code, I have tweaked code. Not for a major video game, but in general on smaller projects. I took C++ Classes. The smallest difference in 'OS', 'Engine', Specs, etc, can have drastic issues on performance.

One wrong line of code can lead to drastically inconsistent if bad results. It's why OS and GPU for example are two of the major things companies look at when bug fixing, for example.

Yes I do some programming as well, also quite familiar with C++, I am just asking where you got the idea that the code is spaghetti code.
I usually refer to poorly structured and badly commented code as spaghetti code.
Like when the code is a complete mess to figure out.

So, did someone from the team who ported the game say that it's spaghetti code?
Because I doubt you have access you read the code for this game.
Or did you assume that there's spaghetti code due to the fact that it released with bugs?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Semi-related, I just learned that the FFX+FFX-2 remasters on switch comes with 2 separate cartridges if you buy the asian version of the game, the American and European releases are FFX on a cart with a download code for FFX-2. This B.S. of having to download the games via a code really sucks for the used game market. All they had to do was make it so that both games are detected, and download all the games' data that the remaster is advertised to include, like the Bioshock trilogy did.
Post automatically merged:

It was exactly like the original, but back then we didn’t use lcd screens.
*raises hand*
I- I used an LCD screen back then. It attached to the back of my PS1. NYKO I think was the brank, it was $10 cheaper than Sony's official screen, and vastly inferior in screen quality. Mine came with a stick green pixel that you could see no matter what colors were on-screen. Almost returned it to the store TBH.

Reactions: kevin corms

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Capcom has done commendable job, street fighter collection, mega man collection, fighting game, beat em up collections, and those arcade collections. All playable on all major consoles with competent emulation quality and online features as well.
The Street Fighter 30th Collection was piss-poor - the emulation was mediocre at best, but the input lag made it borderline unplayable... However, the 'Belt Action/Beat 'em up' and Fighting collections were much better though.

Reactions: zfreeman

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Street Fighter 30th Collection was piss-poor - the emulation was mediocre at best, but the input lag made it borderline unplayable... However, the 'Belt Action/Beat 'em up' and Fighting collections were much better though.
That's why we have emulators such as MAME.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I suppose everyone has different opinions about it. But I didn't have a terrible time with that collection until I tried playing online. That was a bad time. I own the nintendo switch version BTW.

Considering I play on emulators mostly for old games, I'm not comparing it to "Original hardware" as most people probably would do. But it can be compared to other emulators. No I'm not saying it's perfect or even the greatest emulator so far. Just that it didn't ruin the overall experience in my opinion. But I'm not denying that there was complaints about it and can just another emulator like final burn neo if they feel it's better. Not much I can say except sorry for the people who didn't have a good experience with it.

Digital Eclipse has had spotty game emulation in the past, but I believe it has become a lot better now and hopefully will continue to be better. The recent capcom fighting collection (Darkstalkers games) that and some others wasn't by digital eclipse. It was capcom internals that developed it and it seems much more favorable to digital eclipse's developed collection. I'm glad and prefer if they did better quality control supervision on outsourced ones.

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, not to sound mean because I really don't. But what about the rest of the games in their "archive"? I'm glad people will take game preservation seriously, but why signal out this one among others? Honestly, the 20 anniversary seem more like a excuse to pick the game. But plenty of other games they also have that can be 20 anniversary re-release.

The thing is why it takes so long... If stories of "Lost source codes" are true, then that is unfortunate. But least that's the opportunity to make a better code for these games I suppose. At the same time, I just think they should invest time into either reverse engineer source code from their old games. Or invest in emulator development, instead of waiting for someone like sony or Nintendoanother company to do it and remaining exclusive to their consoles as a result. (Just like Chrono Cross on PS3, PSP and PSVita) :blink:

Many compilations of classic games come out and they are done by mostly competent emulators. It might have been easy for companies to just sit and wait for Nintendo to put up the virtual console or PlayStation classic services to add their games to them like before. Putting the games on those services make them exclusive to those consoles, not to mention won't have any additional features worth revisiting outside basic gameplay.

Capcom has done commendable job, street fighter collection, mega man collection, fighting game, beat em up collections, and those arcade collections. All playable on all major consoles with competent emulation quality and online features as well.
This.
Is it really that difficult to set up an emulator for PS1 or earlier systems and stick a ROM or ISO into it?
Squeenix is just being a drama queen about it so that they can try to milk more money out of the re-release.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Wake up, it's da first of da month
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So get up, get up, get up, get up, get up (so cash your checks and come up)
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: So get up, get up, get up, get up, get up (so cash your checks and come up)