Square Enix sells off some of its western IPs to Embracer Group for $300 million

dasdasujiofeduijofsd.png

Beloved intellectual properties you might associate with Square Enix will no longer have anything to do with the company. Square Enix is selling off a collection of its western-developed IPs and the studios behind those games to Embracer Group. According to industry analysts, Square had been looking to offload these studios and franchises, due to their underperformance in recent years. The sale includes properties such as Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Legacy of Kain, and more, alongside developers Crystal Dynamics, Square Enix Montreal, and Eidos Montreal, spanning 1,100 employees across those three studios. This also means that Embracer Group acquires the new in-development Tomb Raider title being made in Unreal Engine 5.

The sale is set to finalize this September. Embracer Group currently owns over 100 other studios and publishers, including THQ Nordic, Koch Media, and Saber Interactive.

”Embracer is the best kept secret in gaming: a massive, decentralized collection of entrepreneurs whom we are thrilled to become a part of today. It is the perfect fit for our ambitions: make high-quality games, with great people, sustainably, and grow our existing franchises to their best versions ever. Embracer allows us to forge new partnerships across all media to maximize our franchises’ potential and live our dreams of making extraordinary entertainment,” says Phil Rogers, Square Enix America and Europe CEO.

:arrow: Source

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
This decision was made by the leaders of the Company known as Square Enix. The Japanese brand doesn't want any Western Cowboys calling shots. It's time to embrace the Japanese overlords.

Last edited by SG854,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope we get a proper, modern take on the Deus Ex, Thief, Legacy of Kain games, out of all this..

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Lol, from a shitty company to a worse (more) soulless group, rip these games, not that i cared to tomb raider (new Lara sucks and has no good features :/), but Deus ex was decent.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i hope they will finally do a remake/reboot/hdremaster of the legacy of kain series

the series definetly deserves it its one of the best gaming franchises ever

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can only be good news for the teams here really, Squeenix seem to be a bunch of wankers of the highest nature in all honesty... Eidos Montreal creates the excellent Guardians of the Galaxy, which Squeenix decides to release right after the clusterfuck that was the Avengers title, so sells poorly coz customers think it's more of the same, then Squeenix blames THEM for the poor sales?! I'm not even gonna start on the 'nft/service-based is the future of gaming' comments made by the boss...

$300 million though for that talent and those IPs, compared to Sony paying $3.6bn just for Bungie & Destiny (not to mention the MS/Activision pricepoint!) - WTF is going on there?!
Hilarious isn't it?

I'm surprised Microsoft didn't take them, the money they've been throwing around. These are some pretty big name IP, going back decades. I'd imagine the Tomb Raider IP would cover the rights for movies too, but I'm unsure if it's currently licensed out.

Square Enix are probably along the worst managed gaming companies around.

Worse than EA and Ubisoft, which is really saying something. I'm not surenif they're worse than Konami (we don't have all the facts, but of the facts we have they're terrible).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is Xenogears one of those IPs?
If only Monolith Soft could get it back (if Masato Kato is part of them), we could dream of a proper remake (with missing story gap being actually playable, with missing gears too).

I also hope to see new Soul/legacy games, even remake or remaster would be nice. I wanted to replay the PS1 game but the textures and 3D didn't age well :P
I didn't play yet the Legacy games following the souls.
GOG often has sales on the series, games at 1$-3$, I wonder what will happen to the games on GOG now.

I don't understand what everyone has against Tomb Raider. I enjoyed the trilogy reboot !
I enjoy any tomb/uncharted game I play, I'm a gamer, give me anything. I'm even hesitating to try Adam's venture to fill my exploration needs ;)

Last edited by Cyan,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
hopefully someone pick up deus ex and thief, i would like a sequel please or some remakes remasters.

i would love a complete remake of the first 2 thief games for sure.

And a new deus ex would be nice or they could remake the first one if they wanted too, but i would prefer a sequel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: