Steam bans the sale of pick-up artist FMV game Super Seducer 3

073c4bcfcc68b3d2204ab9c73ac85c59e94a8be5.png

The Super Seducer series has been having a hard time lately. The controversial series comes from professional pick-up artist Richard La Ruina, and acts as an interactive instruction manual for men to be successful with women. While the first two games in the series, both released in 2018, drew heavy criticism for the moral questions surrounding its premise, their releases were relatively uneventful (aside from a planned release on the Playstation 4 that was pulled shortly before release). The third game, initially set for release February 15th, has been plagued with issues.

The first sign of trouble was on February 3rd, during Steam's Game Festival promotion, where indie developers were allowed to release demos that would only be available for a limited time. Super Seducer 3's time was more limited than expected, however, as the demo was unceremoniously pulled only an hour after going up. Then, on February 11, Steam rejected the submitted build, citing the sexual imagery featuring live-action actors. (While plenty of explicit games can be found on Steam, they all feature animated characters rather than real people.) Since then, La Ruina has been censoring those scenes and resubmitting to Steam, before receiving a third and final rejection today, as Steam has totally banned the game from its storefront.

The game's future at this point is uncertain. La Ruina stated shortly before the ban that alternate storefronts (specifically, Epic Games Store and GOG) had rejected it, and that other methods were "not very attractive." Since the ban, however, he has stated he will have something ready for this week, and that the version he is aiming to release will be the original, fully uncensored version. The first two games were also expected to release on the Nintendo Switch in February of this year, with the third given a tentative date of late 2021, though that date came and went with no release, and only a brief mention from La Ruina that the release was still on track. He has also mentioned he may work on a similar branching path, FMV series focused on the horror genre, tentatively titled "Horror Seducer."

GBAtemp was lucky enough to receive a censored version of Super Seducer 3 for review prior to its initially projected release date. If you'd like to see exactly how bad the censored version (which has also been submitted to and rejected by Valve), you can read or watch our review here.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
while I don't approuve that kind of stereotyped games, I disapprouve even more censorship
Nothing should ever be censored
Punished by criminal or civil law, yes, but censored no...
For exemple, there's an Ottawa's university's employee who called our prime minister a "White supremacist who intentionally killed black and native people in his hospital"
Should that be censored? no
Should that be punished? yes
NOTHING should be censored
We're not in China here

Kanakops

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why do they always have to ban and censor everything, the game is meant to be ironical/funny and it was made in agreement with consenting actresses. Next to it there are thousands of questionable hentai games available for purchase. Steam are huge hypocrites.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do they always have to ban and censor everything, the game is meant to be ironical/funny and it was made in agreement with consenting actresses. Next to it there are thousands of questionable hentai games available for purchase. Steam are huge hypocrites.

Yeah, but if people really want this game...it's a game only on the PC platform. And what does the PC platform have a sizable amount of in its playerbase?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
while I don't approuve that kind of stereotyped games, I disapprouve even more censorship
For exemple, there's an Ottawa's university's employee who called our prime minister a "White supremacist who intentionally killed black and native people in his hospital"
We're not in China here
It's like the "right to free speech on twitter" thing. It's not being censored or persecuted by the government, Steam is a private entity that can make its own decisions about what it wants to sell and be associated with. The creepy guy could sell the game independently from his website with no issues, but I'm assuming that's one of the options he describes as "not very attractive" (a phrase which, judging by his face, he's familiar with).

Last edited by hippy dave,

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
We're not in China here

Steam is not a government, they are a private company and are in their rights to decide what do they want to support or not in their platform.

That being said, it's just plain dull and a symptom of our sex frustrated society. It's not about sexism or stereotypes, if it was that, a whole universe of anime games would be censored as well - it simply has to do with depiction of live action models.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would it be surprising if they were very deliberately hitting the wrong buttons here in order to generate free publicity? "The game that was too hot for Steam!" would make for a fine selling point.

(While plenty of explicit games can be found on Steam, they all feature animated characters rather than real people.)
Reckon they could make a decent amount of coin by replacing all the characters with barely-animated catgirls and leaving the content otherwise unchanged. "Anime Seducer." Bam.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woke puritans can't handle meat pussy combined with irony, so they flood companies to ban them, one day maybe steam will start allowing them, since we got 2d ones without magic white light coming from the sky (*cof* sony).

I feel like there's a reference at the end there that I'm not getting...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...