Steam Deck celebrates its 1st anniversary with custom startup movies and a discount

The Steam Deck got its first year anniversary on February 25th, and while that date has passed already, Steam didn't forget the momentous occasion. Steam released a special post on March 16th which goes into specific details about the anniversary.

To celebrate and commemorate this, Steam is currently offering a 10% discount on Steam Deck purchases for the duration of the Spring Sale event, which will last until March 23rd, and includes all the current shipping locations in which the Steam Deck is available. Those countries without Deck shipping sadly are not included. As for the Spring Sale event, Steam created a showcase of the top 100 games played for the Deck, and several of which currently have a discount offer on them.

Not only that, but Steam has also brought another feature into the Steam Deck, in the form of a built in feature to modify the startup movie which plays when powering on the Steam Deck, and to go alongside it, the Steam team created 20 customized startup movies for the device, specially created by them for people to select from as part of the Steam Deck's anniversary.

Have you been one of those lucky people to get a Steam Deck during its first year? How has the Steam Deck changed the way you play your games?

:arrow: Source

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i really like my deck, build quality is high, it kills emulation and just sips power (~5watts for duckstation ps1 5x) but i then i tried the re4 chainsaw demo and damn, its hideous and slow, 20fps and 25-27watts.. out of battery in an hour..

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i really like my deck, build quality is high, it kills emulation and just sips power (~5watts for duckstation ps1 5x) but i then i tried the re4 chainsaw demo and damn, its hideous and slow, 20fps and 25-27watts.. out of battery in an hour..

For newer AAA titles you have to play around with the Power Settings and also the game graphics settings. Being able to configure these two for demanding games is key for good performance and battery life.

With the RE4 Demo I managed to get 2+ hours with it running at a stable 30 to 40 FPS. For RE2 and RE3 I managed to hit a stable smooth 45 FPS with around 2-3 hours of battery life, so for RE4 once it comes out, with some slight tweaks you can get really good results.

Reactions: Xzi

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gift to a loved one maybe?
Right but that accounts for a single extra, I still want to know about his apparent multiples :rofl:
Post automatically merged:

4 and no idea :D , to sell them in Third Countries :teach:
Well, there’s my answer. Fair enough I guess! When you love something I guess that’s all that matters.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Thats all nice, but i cant buy one, cause scalpers bought it for cheap and are selling me for regular prices.
If anyone is benefiting its them lol.
I cant even buy from official store, they are sold out all the time, so i must buy from scalpers.

Yeah...so great celebration woo hoo

A pointless device. PC is a PC, desktop is a desktop, handheld is a laptop.
No, a laptop is a LAP held not a HAND held. HAND held is a HANDheld

Ducolamia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a huge handheld fanboy. They were the cheapest option to keep me entertained growing up as my family never really got consoles (minus a PS2 and Wii because EVERYONE had those).

The Steam Deck is definitely the biggest handheld I own but it's also one of the most reliable. It tanks through emulation like a champ. Not only that, but modern PC games are more than playable at normal or low settings.

The only major issues I have is the screen, battery life, and weight.

The screen isn't terrible but poorly calibrated. When using the vibrant plugin in for Decky Loader you immediately notice how much better the screen is at with better saturation and a difference screen temperature.

The battery life is just an unfortunate cost of the build itself. Older games it'll last like a champ as 8w TDP covers a lot anyways but modern games definitely suffer.

I feel like I'm one of the few people okay with the Deck's size but not the weight. If they made a Steam Deck "Slim", I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Otherwise, the support has been rather substantial for this device. So I'm happy with my purchase.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love my Steam Deck.

The BAD-
The OS has some severe jank
Way too Big
Battery life is obvious shart
Only Comes in Black?!

The GOOD-
Insane game library
runs most games well
feels higher quality despite all plastic
The battery life is actually pretty good if you use the fps limiter/screen hz slider/tdp slider. For example the Witcher 3 gets far better battery life on the Deck than the Switch while running better at higher settings. People don't complain about the Switch's battery life so I find it disingenuous to complain about the Steam Deck's.

Last edited by Pickle_Rick,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Happy birthday. :)

For me, the deck is easily my best handheld I've ever owned, and I'm fairly sure that isn't just the extra horsepower it has. My pc gaming is now on that thing so much that I've pretty much cleared my gaming pc of actual games (it's now pretty much exclusively for work).

It's nice they have a discount and some fun goodies... But i only want valve to release steamos as Linux distribution. Like... Pretty please? :)

Soundtoxin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Deck has been a lot of fun. I've mostly used mine docked with either a keyboard + mouse or a separate controller. Sort of like a PC-flavored Nintendo Switch. I've pretty much only played 2D stuff on it like Terraria, Rivals of Aether, and Skullgirls, but performance is great in all those. It has a lot of benefits similar to a Switch. You can play it on the couch or in bed with the built-in controls if you're into that, or use it docked. The portability makes it easy to pack up, dock included, and bring it to a friend's house to set up and play. The dock has a few USB ports on it so you can do some multiplayer with wired controllers. You'll want an additional hub if you have 4 people playing and/or need one of the ports for storage or something. I hear emulators work pretty well on the Deck, but I haven't gotten much set up yet. I have Slippi (Dolphin fork for online Melee), but that's it so far.

Reactions: Henx and Xzi

trepp0

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Jailbreak when? 🙃
It’s linux, its already jailbroken lmao

Raytracing+DLSS 3.0+ HDR+ QD OLED screen or im not buying
Have fun paying 2000 dollars for your handheld :)

wow 10% off a (at minimum) $400 system so useful

ik obvsiously they're not gonna half it or anything, it just came out
but like
people get hyped over a 10% discount??
Its 40 dollars off the base model, that is a helluva discount

Last edited by trepp0,
  • Angry
Reactions: Xzi and ldeveraux

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm... Though i stand by my praise in my previous post, i must admit it does NOT translate to the official deck dock. Apart from the funny name, it's still sub-par months later.

The'issue'i have is having two monitors. One hdmi, one display port. And they hardly ever work. I have to go to desktop mode to plug it in or the screen freezes. It might still be wonky if i use the display port monitor. Resolution doesn't seem to be stored anywhere, and when 'resetting' the dock (by unplugging it), it downloaded another update afterward. Fairly sure the same one as before.
Heck... I thought mine was faulty until i plugged another pc in (a new windows 11 laptop) : not a hitch. Meaning: my dock works much better with a random pc than the device it's supposed to be built for. :/

(on the plus side: when it works after finicking with it, it works. It's just not plug & play)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm...