Steam Deck hardware repair

solac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi,

I don't know if this the proper area where i should start a thread. Anyway i noticed that there is no steam hardware repair thread anywhere online.

i have a steam deck with a broken sd card slot. i couldn't find any replacement sd card slot and noticed that the sd card slot of NS switch is similar except for mounting tabs. so i tried to replace the slot. after replacing the slot was working fine, but all the controls are no longer funtioning. i can't seem to find what caused this.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi,

I don't know if this the proper area where i should start a thread. Anyway i noticed that there is no steam hardware repair thread anywhere online.

i have a steam deck with a broken sd card slot. i couldn't find any replacement sd card slot and noticed that the sd card slot of NS switch is similar except for mounting tabs. so i tried to replace the slot. after replacing the slot was working fine, but all the controls are no longer funtioning. i can't seem to find what caused this.

The SD card slot is on the main board, so you either need replacement part or new board.

solac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi i have replaced the sd card slot, couldn't find the actual part but i replaced using NS SWITCH card slot and is working fine. but all the controls are no longer working.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi i have replaced the sd card slot, couldn't find the actual part but i replaced using NS SWITCH card slot and is working fine. but all the controls are no longer working.

I guess you need a new board, the SD card slot is on the main board, probably you did something when you replace the SD card slot.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Have you double checked all the connections? Flat flex cables can be a PITA.

Maybe use ifixit as a reference if you went in blind:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Steam_Deck

It took me a couple of tries when I disassembled my Vita to get the the thumbsticks working properly.

Is there a chance that something is shorting, especially where you replaced the slot?

solac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you double checked all the connections? Flat flex cables can be a PITA.

Maybe use ifixit as a reference if you went in blind:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Steam_Deck

It took me a couple of tries when I disassembled my Vita to get the the thumbsticks working properly.

Is there a chance that something is shorting, especially where you replaced the slot?
yes I have doubled checked it. I tried to look near the slot where I replaced and didn't find any short at all. seems like there is only 1FPC that connects to the controllers. i tested with a know working board and controls as well as FPC are good. so i am guessing the fault to lie somewhere in the board.

maybe someone that knows the hardware could help me with this control issues. basically all the analog d pad touch pad are all useless. when goin to desktop mode and checking settings the board seemed like it cannot even detect the hardware (controls daughter board).

Last edited by solac,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe