StepMania 5.x Switch Port

StepMania
Port of the popular cross-platform rhythm game simulator.

screen.png

https://github.com/retronx-team/stepmania-nx

StepMania is a free and open source, cross-platform rhythm game. It supports common key-based rhythm game formats (including 4-panel and 5-panel dance games among others), as well as Switch controllers (joycons recommended for their individual buttons), keyboard and dance pad controllers (ex: Gamecube ones with adapter). It is customizable with user-made add-ons such as themes, and provides an integrated editor for creating your own simfiles.

Getting Started

Grabbing Binaries

You can download the latest release here on github: https://github.com/retronx-team/stepmania-nx/releases.
Extract the archive in the /switch folder on your SD Card. Then, run the game from the hbmenu using hbl.
Be sure to run it as an app, it won't work as an applet (you may get a black screen and/or crashes).

Song Installation

You can install songs by simply putting them in a subfolder of your Songs-folder in the directory you installed Stepmania to. You can find for example a few packs of songs on Stepmania Online http://stepmaniaonline.net/index.php?page=downloads or Otaku's Dream Website here : http://www.otakusdream.com/downloads/.

Default Controls scheme

ua7WPqr.png

Additional Information

You can access all the official documentation, forum, news and wiki on the following links:

* StepMania wiki: https://github.com/stepmania/stepmania/wiki
* StepMania official website: https://www.stepmania.com/

Last edited by p-sam,

Mikethekobra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on 9.1 atmosphere and I do launch through the game and not through applet, still same thing. I’ve followed guides and videos and I am definitely installing correctly as most of the game boots

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Newer firmware (>9.0) require an updated (libnx?) library to have working button presses in homebrew. Afaik somebody has to recompile the homebrew to get it function properly again.

Mikethekobra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was able to get it by formatting the sd card again and putting it back on as a fresh download

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Next question lol, has anyone seen any way to get a dance pad to work on this port?

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I was able to get it by formatting the sd card again and putting it back on as a fresh download

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Next question lol, has anyone seen any way to get a dance pad to work on this port?
Try just plugging your control box or pad via USB into the dock and see if it picks it up inside of StepMania :)

MikeNeedsAssistance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there any way to use this combined with "Guitar Hero in Stepmania - Final Version" from reddit?

it is a Guitar Hero "mod" for Stepmania, reads .mid and .chart files and I'd love to play some Guitar Hero stuff on the game on the Switch, would be a blast since we don't have anything like Guitar Hero yet.

Reactions: matias3ds

p-sam

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If it's just a theme or something like that, you can try drag n dropping it in your folder, and see what happens. Else, if it's source code modification, you can try applying the differences with mainline Stepmania, assuming it's still maintained with the latest version, and try to compile

MikeNeedsAssistance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not a theme, thanks for the tip. I may have to try to learn about this since I do want a mobile Guitar Hero. although the code is pretty old at this point so I doubt it works. I'm sure someone will see this conversation and be all "I can do that, I will do it!"

cause for me to do it is like asking me to invent a time machine lol.

Tweaker_Modding

Siezure Dice™
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is there any way to use this combined with "Guitar Hero in Stepmania - Final Version" from reddit?

it is a Guitar Hero "mod" for Stepmania, reads .mid and .chart files and I'd love to play some Guitar Hero stuff on the game on the Switch, would be a blast since we don't have anything like Guitar Hero yet.
i would like to try that out (not on the switch port of stepmania since i don’t have a modded switch) however the guy didn’t release a compiled version of the mod any chance you have one? and if so can you send a link to it please as i have 0% knowledge of compiling this (or anything for that matter) and it’ll probably annoy the fuck outta me trying to figure it out

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
Late for this, but: YES !

Even suports my selfmade mappings and videobackgrounds.

Amazing !

Now to get myself one of those Gamecube gamepads, mod it, and use it with the gbros.
(Hopefully it'll send dpad signals, the GBA works with stepmania already, that's great.)

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,
Reactions: p-sam

p-sam

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What's the default control scheme for this game if you change something by mistake? How can you reset it back to the default?
You'll find config files in the User folder inside the stepmania folder that you can delete so you can go back to defaults.

tekno18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
anyone has a pic of a working dancepad, cant make the mine work, it has multiple conectors, usb, ps1 and gc, but it didnt reconice in the sw

p-sam

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
anyone has a pic of a working dancepad, cant make the mine work, it has multiple conectors, usb, ps1 and gc, but it didnt reconice in the sw

Probably the best chance you have is get a 3rd party Gc adapter and connect it, maybe another user knows a working combo

Coolaaron88

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.searingarrow.com
XP
Country
United States
Im having issues with Stepmania not wanting to load any of the songs that I have in the 'songs' folder in the stepmania folder on my SD card. Ive tried reloading them from my computer on my sd card and then I try to load stepmania it just doesnt see any of the songs in that folder. Any idea what could be going on?

p-sam

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Im having issues with Stepmania not wanting to load any of the songs that I have in the 'songs' folder in the stepmania folder on my SD card. Ive tried reloading them from my computer on my sd card and then I try to load stepmania it just doesnt see any of the songs in that folder. Any idea what could be going on?

What do you mean, "doesnt load", what is happening on the game?

If you don't see them listed in the game, it could be a dir structure problem. You should put your songs into a subfolder in the Songs folder of stepmania, rather than directly in the Songs folder (ex: Stepmania/Songs/songpack/song, instead of Stepmania/Songs/song).

If that does not solve it, describe whats happening, and include the log of the last run (present in the User folder) in your post

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, That's when Victor invented the Rusty Trombone!