Studio announces Glover 2, but doesn't have rights to make the game

Glover_Nintendo_64_cover_art,jpg.jpg

Glover was an odd game from the PlayStation and Nintendo 64 era that had you controlling a hand that was trying to guide a ball to a goal, requiring you to change the ball to different weights in order to get past puzzles. It was considered a financial failure, and publisher Hasbro ended development of the sequel before it could be released. It went on to become a cult classic, loved by a handful of people that had played the game in their childhood. So when the German studio Golden Mushroom announced a Glover 2 nearly 20 years after the first game, it baffled many. They even took to Reddit, claiming that the game was indeed real, and not a joke. Things got even more confusing when another studio, Piko Interactive joined the fray, saying that they owned the full rights to the Glover series, and were contacting Golden Mushroom Studios about their claim on the IP. Golden Mushroom fired back, saying that they owned and paid to have the trademark of "Glover" transferred to their company, after "extensive research" from their legal team.

And thus things made a lot more sense. While you can have a trademark for a name, that's a different matter entirely as compared to having the copyright. Golden Mushroom can indeed make a game called Glover, but they cannot actually use any IP from the Glover game, as Piko owns the copyright. When the two companies tried to work out a deal, Golden Mushroom backed down, and said they'd be fine with creating a spiritual successor to Glover, instead of an actual sequel.

Luhof

Trophies
Website
luhof.fr
XP
Country
France
I bought the PC version like 10+ years ago with money I spared. It ran poorly and crashed way too often on my dad's Windows 98. So I played the tutorial level A LOT. And oh boy that tutorial level was so good.
Never managed to make it work after XP. Well, I'm sure it's one of those games that haven't aged that well.

As for that sequel thing... IMHO the developers have lost their credibility by announcing "hey guys we will do glover two", I wouldn't be surprised if they had not even started preproduction. It sadly reminds me of 12 y-old kids that never coded anything in their lives writing on forums "hi I'm making outlaws 2 with RPG elements and day/night cycles"

EDIT : OK so they call it Manopler. I'm more than curious to see the future of this anyway !
https://twitter.com/GMS_GER/status/986984847146135552

Last edited by Luhof,

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
D

Deleted User

It's cool that an obscure game like this is getting some attention at least! :D

SonicfanCEMUTesting

One of Sonic fans that is here, because reasons
Trophies
White Space (not a generations reference)
XP
Country
Poland
I think we have a world record for the most fastest game to be cancelled and it's the game that was already cancelled, but some indie studio decided to revive the development out of nowhere and how the heck did Piko Interactive got the rights to the Glover series in the first place?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think we have a world record for the most fastest game to be cancelled and it's the game that was already cancelled, but some indie studio decided to revive the development out of nowhere and how the heck did Piko Interactive got the rights to the Glover series in the first place?
I chased it around for a little while but got bored before I fully connected the dots.

Step 1. Atari is a zombie company name these days. It is nothing at all to do with the people that put out consoles in the 80s. Various companies have since bought and sold the name, rebranded themselves are Atari when they wanted a bit more market recognition and then they went bankrupt and whatnot. To go through it all would be a long post, even by my standards.

Anyway Hasbro's "Hasbro Interactive" subsidiary were the original publishers/IP owners. When Hasbro was in hard times in the early 2000s they sold this subsidiary and things that went with it, this included the Atari name. The buyer (a once legendary publisher called infogrammes, in the 90s and up to that point they were basically the EA or Ubisoft of the day) rebranded themselves as Atari.

Zombie atari still went bankrupt and according to https://kotaku.com/the-studio-that-announced-glover-2-didn-t-actually-have-1825395955 it appears they sold the IP to the glover franchise in 2017 to piko interactive.

IP law crash course then.
Three main types, plus a few others we will skip for now.
1) Copyright. Lasts probably over a century at this point, if not forever. It covers text, graphics, music, level layout...
2) Patents. Can't be got for software, save for in Japan and the US (possibly elsewhere but nowhere really relevant for games). Term limits vary but around 20 years by the time all is said and done. They are supposed to be for how things work.
3) Trademarks. Have to be renewed, and have to be protected, but can be indefinite if renewed. This is the rights to exclusively use the name/a set logo/possibly some colours (though that can fall under whatever design rights and registered designs are called around you) for whatever you register it for (I might not be able to do glover the game, but might be able to do glover the business services company sort of thing). A nice game related example is why Resident Evil is known as Biohazard in its native Japan -- there was a band called Biohazard and they seemingly registered a trademark for them to maybe make a game based on their band name one day (it was a quite popular thing to do as a band once).

In this case it seems someone allowed 3) to lapse ($400 for 10 years for each class of goods in the US, a bit more in Europe https://euipo.europa.eu/ohimportal/en/eu-trade-mark-regulation-fees , nothing major to a company though) some time in 2008 https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/get-detail?st13=EM500000000901942 https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/get-detail?st13=GB500000002175497 and http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4808:udqehk.2.7 . Quite a serious oversight from where I sit but happens I guess, especially if you are monster made from the parts of a hundred other companies and going bankrupt yourself.

Seeing this expiry it seems the Golden Mushroom people noticed and thought they would get it for themselves. This would have allowed them to make a game called Glover, or indeed Glover 2 and block new companies from making a game called Glover.
What goes for the existing company/current own would vary with where they are -- some places do "first to use" where others do "first to file" and an expired trademark is as good as no trademark at all. In Piko Interactive's statements appear to have forgot this, or they assumed their country's laws applied in all the places. That said it gets tricky, as law is wont to do, https://www.fr.com/news/prior-user-vs-federal-registrant-whose-mark-is-it-anyway1/
In any case I don't think Piko Interactive would be able to block Golden Mushroom from publishing a game called Glover just on the trademark alone.

Golden Mushroom would not however have had the rights to use the glover art, level layouts, code from the original game or whatever exists of the second cancelled one... Copyright infringement would be the result of using that*, however it gets a bit tricky to demonstrate that in some cases. I don't see why they would not be able to make a 3d platform game with a cartoon disembodied hand running on a ball though. Piko Interactive might have tried to claim a hand running on a ball is a truly unique concept itself worthy of copyright protection but I am sure someone would just find a copy of Thing from the Addams family doing it and it would all be over.
*there have been very few legal cases involving copyright infringement in games. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...zynga-over-sims-social-copyright-infringement probably being the main case anyone would look at, and look how long ago that was. That said this last year or so has seen a few companies take on mobile game developers https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ringement-in-rules-of-survival-and-knives-out so who knows.
Golden Mushroom also appear to have erroneously assumed they did have some rights to the actual art/whatever of the original game (and whatever is out there from the cancelled sequel).

If Piko Interactive were blocked in a given country they would still be able to use all the art, code, layouts... they have from their purchase in a game they called Glove man 2 or something. If the blocked countries were significant many would then opt to instead change the name in all territories but that is a different discussion. They would also be able to sell the ROM on whatever service they like, though they might have to change the name/title screen in some places. Whether in those blocked places they would be allowed to say "originally released as Glover" I do not know.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Dunno, but they took some taiwanese game and a fan translation was taken down because of them. Grrr.

P

pasc

Next up: Rare announces "Banjo Kazooie - Conkers bad hair" day for Switch and 3DS.

Forgot it didn't have the rights to make that game...

SonicfanCEMUTesting

One of Sonic fans that is here, because reasons
Trophies
White Space (not a generations reference)
XP
Country
Poland
Next up: Rare announces "Banjo Kazooie - Conkers bad hair" day for Switch and 3DS.

Forgot it didn't have the rights to make that game...
Actually it gets cancelled, because they forgot they are still owned by Microsoft and they didn't decided to just make it for Xbox One and Windows 10, because money.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i recall this same studio doing some announcement like 4 years ago or something and the game never appeared? not sure what the game was but i think it was this studio or iam imagining things? the name of it sounds very familiar.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is a magnet going to do against EEPROM, flash or similar?
Magnets will happily erase magnetic media (floppy discs, spinning hard drives, tapes...) but do little to anything else until you hit big boy electromagnet realms.

Anyway usual options run
Step 0. Make sure it is not a memory pak in the controller that is storing the saves.

Is there a menu option somewhere? Many games have them but some do omit such things.
Can you do a de facto wipe? If there are slots then just start a new game in each of them.

After this it goes one of two ways
1) Hardware based. Here you either get a piece of hardware that works with the system (thinking something like a gameshark but that can fiddle with saves, not sure if one exists for the N64 but it is common enough on other systems), a piece of standalone hardware that does the same thing (I don't know if the emulation boxes do this) or open the case and write whatever storage chip is used.

2) Tricks. You know where it will pop up "saving, do not turn off or eject cart". There is a reason why. If it writes half the save and then gets turned off it will likely corrupt the save. You may have to work on your timing for this one as it might keep the screen up for longer than necessary (or outright do it before the screen flies up) but the principle is sound. Some games will have a fallback save but not all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I only drank alcohol once and it was by accident
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt know it was beer, it was on a juice bottle
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yeah, I'm addicted to smoking, sadly. It's very addictive but I wish I didn't start.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    May just order a 5700g for a nas/emulation set up tbh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast you were asleep on 4/20
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, you played that Mario flash game called Mario 63?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, No, but I've seen it on Vinesauce's stream.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, that game is one of the reasons i met newgrounds bc the full versión of it is in that site
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Also somebody is remaking it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, the other game where I found newgrounds is new york shark
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Spoke to Tom Fulp the other day, if he can find his old Newgrounds site content like the mini Flash animations from the 2000's that played on the portal.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So far no response, but he did say that he'll find them. Wayback Machine doesn't have em.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast the 1999 versión of pico's school is avaliable (the difference between it, the 2006 versión and the 2016 versión is that the speed of the game depends of the speed of your computer and that it had the og soundtrack)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Another being Pico VS Bear, the original 1999 version before Jim Henson filed a DMCA takedown.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    The 2006 versión was made when the flash portal was made
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many people thought it was lost, but was discovered that he hid it on the same page.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, although the "secrets" system where the game was has been removed. Also pico vs uberkids had a netplay versión that was shutdown, although the swf file has been found
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Nope. There are two download buttons on the same page, where you can download the original under a file called "bear.exe". "bear2.exe", however, is the updated game in a Flash projector. P.s. this was on the archived Pico page from 2000.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's been there for a long time, too. People who search for lost media don't look hard enough lmao.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, also the pico 2 demos used to be only for the newgrounds patrons but they are on internet archive too (https://archive.org/download/picos_school_2)
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Iirc the demos were removed from newgrounds in 2022
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, or well only the demo with mindchamber's style was on newgrounds
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, or well only the demo with mindchamber's style was on newgrounds