Super Famicom Vertical Rainbow Lines

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The Volt meter sowns the exact same numbers as the one that is working perfectly fine what I noticed is that the console outputs the same lines over RF ( Or how this old cable port is called where you can choosr channel 1 or 2 )
Wait, there are 2 things koming to mind for me: this one and this one.
both are region mods, superCIC does it bij moddig the real clock (wich will also make it possible to play japanese games on another system),
the other wil only mod the output graphics wich will trigger detection of not being super famicom for european and usa consoles (don't know if it works the other way around).
the crystal (clock) might be damaged or not calibrated right (see TC1 for calibration, close to C62), or your graphics IC might have damage (shorted).
i don't think it's not voltage, not current, could be (if you're using backup loading cardridge) power, but i think it's frequention, or impedance.

Last edited by Jack Daniels,

SirKelly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wait, there are 2 things koming to mind for me: this one and this one.
both are region mods, superCIC does it bij moddig the real clock (wich will also make it possible to play japanese games on another system),
the other wil only mod the output graphics wich will trigger detection of not being super famicom for european and usa consoles (don't know if it works the other way around).
the crystal (clock) might be damaged or not calibrated right (see TC1 for calibration, close to C62), or your graphics IC might have damage (shorted).
i don't think it's not voltage, not current, could be (if you're using backup loading cardridge) power, but i think it's frequention, or impedance.
Hey I just replaced the Caps and now its working without a problem :) and just a quick question I have yet another Super Famicom which doesnt give any Picture but its cpu gets SUPER hot , I think the CPU is fried or could there be another reason why the CPU get to hot to touche whilst all the other chips stay cold ?

SirKelly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey I just replaced the Caps and now its working without a problem :) and just a quick question I have yet another Super Famicom which doesnt give any Picture but its cpu gets SUPER hot , I think the CPU is fried or could there be another reason why the CPU get to hot to touche whilst all the other chips stay cold ?
It gets as hot / hotter in 2 minutes then a normal Super famicom running for 60min with Chrono trigger

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It gets as hot / hotter in 2 minutes then a normal Super famicom running for 60min with Chrono trigger
then your caps are too low on voltage! the caps cappasety should be the same, but your game cart can drain too much, wich will result in heat.
the largest cap is the most im[portant for heat.
about 90% of alle snes problems are either the diodes (specially the DC-bridge diodes) or the caps... sometimes the caps leaking means the wires needs to get a redo though.

Last edited by Jack Daniels,

SirKelly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
then your caps are too low on voltage! the caps cappasety should be the same, but your game cart can drain too much, wich will result in heat.
the largest cap is the most im[portant for heat.
about 90% of alle snes problems are either the diodes (specially the DC-bridge diodes) or the caps... sometimes the caps leaking means the wires needs to get a redo though.
You sure that the CPU isnt at fault ? As it gets really really hot

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You sure that the CPU isnt at fault ? As it gets really really hot
sure it could be, but don't jump to conclusions, the snes is using old techniques and is for a large part analogue.
and if the IC's would be having dificulties, i don't think you'd get it starting at all.
it's based on a micro controller modded to get graphical outputs.
the idea looks like a pre standard of VGA when talking about graphics, audio is even worse 33 KHz sound output is a wierd standard.
about heat is created either because of short circuit (but then it wouldn't run i guess) or it's because of heat transfer by resistance witch is more likely when it comes to snes.
though i never had a japanese model in hand, i did repair USA model and Dutch model. since dutch and japanese model are in a lot of ways the same it should be the same.
this is the only heat problem i've seen so far in my snesses: https://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/375
it's been fixed with better caps on my snes, and it only occurred with this one cardridge used.

SirKelly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
sure it could be, but don't jump to conclusions, the snes is using old techniques and is for a large part analogue.
and if the IC's would be having dificulties, i don't think you'd get it starting at all.
it's based on a micro controller modded to get graphical outputs.
the idea looks like a pre standard of VGA when talking about graphics, audio is even worse 33 KHz sound output is a wierd standard.
about heat is created either because of short circuit (but then it wouldn't run i guess) or it's because of heat transfer by resistance witch is more likely when it comes to snes.
though i never had a japanese model in hand, i did repair USA model and Dutch model. since dutch and japanese model are in a lot of ways the same it should be the same.
this is the only heat problem i've seen so far in my snesses: https://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/375
it's been fixed with better caps on my snes, and it only occurred with this one cardridge used.
Just got the replacment caps and it works perfectly again ^.^

Reactions: Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just got the replacment caps and it works perfectly again ^.^
really enjoy the snes as much as you still looking for 2 mod parts to buy for my snes: spdif-out (optical audio) and there's superCIC wanna have this chip both for my snes and for my sd2snes. but it's not as common as it was anymore

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: