Waddle Dee

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, first off, using proper english should be a rule for reviews....

WARNING: SOME SMALL SPOILERS (only about unlockables)

Anyways, this is a quick review - short, sweet, and to the point.

GRAPHICS

These graphics are AMAZING. Some of the best on the Wii. They're only surpassed by Resident Evil 4, but not by much. The levels are stunningly beautiful, and have a great nostalgic factor, especially 75m, from the original Donkey Kong! Character models are amazingly well animated, but not as high def as RE4. I wasn't disappointed, though - like Melee, this game raised the standards for graphics on its console.

SOUND

Oh. My. Freaking. God. If I could get the soundtrack for this game like I have Melee's, I would NEVER stop listening to it. This game has rerecordings, new songs, and even original songs from the games that Brawl takes from. There are so many different songs from so many different game series... it's just beautiful. I can't tell you how many matches I lost because I got caught up in the music.

CONTROLS

Okay, this is one area where the game is utterly failing. Unless you have a Gamecube controller, go buy one, right NOW. It's way too hard to play this game using a Wiimote on it's own, and it's PLAYABLE with remote+nunchuk if you customize the controls. You CAN use a classic controller, but the sticks are a little loose. That said, just don't use a wiimote on it's own - it's like playing Guitar Hero using a vaccuum.

GAMEPLAY

The game really shines here - BEST. 2D. FIGHTING. GAME. EVER. That's right, I said it. Better than Street Fighter, or Final Fight, or Double Dragon. It's FREAKING AMAZING. This game will stay in your Wii for a very long time. The single player story mode isn't too good, but way better than Melee's. Of course, the story sucks, especially since NOBODY CAN FREAKING TALK. The multiplayer, and Classic single player mode, are great. There is so much to do and unlock, you will be playing this for years. (Forgot to mention Event mode; that's a lot of fun, too.) If you have Wi-Fi, you can play online, but a lot of people with bad connections play too, so there's usually a little to a lot of lag. there's never so much where it's unplayable, though, so it's still a lot of fun. There's a better camera (you can take pictures at any time now, through the pause menu), a stage builder, and a replay saver. The number of playable characters and new items is amazing - there's always something new to try, even if the characters are unbalanced and noobs spam Sonic.

REPLAYABILITY

You'll be playing this game for years. that speaks for itself.

OVERALL

This game is very enjoyable, and it's the greatest Smash Bros. so far. Although I miss some stages from the original SSB, it still has a lot to do.

If you own a Wii, get this freaking game. 10/10.

Thank you for reading this review. Now go buy this game, or I will personally make Chuck Norris deliver it to you, in a very uncomfortable way. Involving a roundhouse kick.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice quick review. It's good to see people still play this game. I bought it the day it came out and also pirated the Japanese version when it was leaked, but a few months into the game, I never really touched it again.

I find it too slow. I'm not looking for Melee 2.0, but if there were at least L-canceling that was in, and just a tiny bit more hit stun, that'd keep me from going back to Melee. I was really hoping to see that there was much more to Brawl.. like how Melee took 7 years and on going to push the meta game to its limits. Its amazing how Melee can still be pushed. But the same can't really be said about Brawl. It's already near it's peak. Metaknight pretty much dominates, along with a few others as well, but genrally Metaknight.

If I look for competitive play.. I just go play Smash Bros. 64 online. I get more competitive play there then I ever would. I wish there were local tournaments for Melee around where I live. I'd probably give Brawl 7.5/10 overal. It beats Melee in every aspects, except the gameplay. I just can't sit there for hours playing Brawl like I did for Melee. Its a fun party game, but that's all I look at it as now.

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How can you score something a 10 out of 10 when the original controller controls basicly suck that hard (if unedited), you have to use the old GC controller :/

I agree on most parts, but it's not a 10 out of 10 XD

Waddle Dee

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Because I don' use the other controls, and it allows the use of a GC controller. If it MADE you use a freakin' Wiimote, I'd never play the game. But, it doesn't, so it doesn't matter what it has. As long as you CAN control it well, it doesn't matter how the other controllers do....

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario Galaxy is much better-looking than this or Resident Evil 4.

Anyhow, nice review.
This game was great, except I thought the roster was disappointing (fucking clones).

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jaems said:

Anyhow, nice review.
This game was great, except I thought the roster was disappointing (fucking clones).

Clones have been discussed quite a bit before the launch of Brawl. I would disagree. They are not clones. They may have similar moves, but the knockback and damage is different. Each frame for the certain move that looks similar is also different. Fox's down air for example, lands multiple hits on the opponent while Falco's is a meteor smash. Lucas and Ness are two completely different characters. They have similar movesets, but to play them bot the same way is quite difficult.

The only thing I thought lacking in the roster were females. Crystal could have easily taken Wolf's place. I also felt Toon Link was a bit out of place. I was really hoping for Geno as well.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
On your controller complaints:

Nintendo's goal in making the wiimote compatible was so that everybody, no matter their tastes or which controllers they had, could use SSBB. I even have a friend who refused to use any other controller and always liked using the wiimote, even though he had nunchuck, GC, and classic. It all dependant on your personal tastes.

As to you nunchuck complaints, I find the nunchuck to be the best, easiest to use controller of the lot, including GC. Again, it all depends on you.

Waddle Dee

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
midna25 said:
On your controller complaints:

Nintendo's goal in making the wiimote compatible was so that everybody, no matter their tastes or which controllers they had, could use SSBB. I even have a friend who refused to use any other controller and always liked using the wiimote, even though he had nunchuck, GC, and classic. It all dependant on your personal tastes.

As to you nunchuck complaints, I find the nunchuck to be the best, easiest to use controller of the lot, including GC. Again, it all depends on you.

I customized my nunchuk controls and found it great -- the standard setup sucks, though. I still prefer using my GC controller - I use my Wii for Gamecube games more than Wii games....

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I actually like the 64 version the most out of the three that currently exist. The Melee version isn't extremely impressive, and Brawl is simply over-exaggerated, with every little attack making a large explosion. I find that it's hard to tell what's happening with the moving backgrounds, constant explosions of light, and the large number of items that basically do the same thing.

Waddle Dee

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jaems said:

Anyhow, nice review.

Not true. have you SEEN RE4 in action? WAAAY more beautiful than Galaxy....

Also, Hehe Moo, the game is SUPPOSSED to be like that. The only thing I found better in SSB was the temple stage... Boy, do I miss that old thing...

godsakes

Trophies
XP
Country
Super Smash Bros. Brawl is sooo over rated - it's a messy, mindless, button bash feast

I personally think it was an opportunity missed, had capcom or namco got hold of the licenses and made a 'marvel vs capcom' or 'soul calibur' cross over equivalent they would have done a far better job

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Everyone should know by now that brawl was meant for a wider audience. Just like the Wii itself.

You guys should just pick street fighter as your fighting game of choice.

godsakes

Trophies
XP
Country
triassic911 said:
Everyone should know by now that brawl was meant for a wider audience. Just like the Wii itself.
i accept it's a hugely popular game, i simply think it's popular because it features everyone's favourite computer games characters rather than for the merits of it's fighting/playing style. Believe me i wanted to like that game

QUOTE(triassic911 @ May 24 2009, 03:57 AM) You guys should just pick street fighter as your fighting game of choice.
i do, hence i grade brawl below it - it wouldn't be a problem if say brawl took 2nd-10th place in my worthwhile list of fighting games, it's the fact i consider it one to avoid paying money for which is the problem

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
pokewiz99 said:
The game really shines here - BEST. 2D. FIGHTING. GAME. EVER. That's right, I said it. Better than Street Fighter, or Final Fight, or Double Dragon. It's FREAKING AMAZING.

It's not a fighting game.
Street Fighter is a fighting game.
Final Fight is a Beat 'em up.
Double Dragon is a Beat 'em up.
Smash Bros is... a, er... party...arcade...brawler? I've never been able to shoehorn the Smash series into a category, but they're not fighting games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Make a thread lol