Super Smash Bros. Ultimate January 16th broadcast - Byleth joins the fight

Are you ready for the reveal of the latest Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC character? Of course you are! After teasing a livestream two days ago, it's nearly time to see what Sakurai has up his sleeve, and who will be the next addition to the Smash roster. Will it be Dante from the Devil May Cry series? Will we ever get Rayman? There's only one way to find out, and that's by watching the steam live as it airs, or checking out the recap thread right here! The video will begin at 15:00 CET, or 6 am PT.

And so, it begins. "Hardly anyone knows what we're revealing today, even Nintendo staff", teases Sakurai at the opening of the video.

It's Fire Emblem! Male Byleth is in. At the end, we see female Byleth, using Claude, Dimitri, and Edelgard's weapons. It's not just another sword user (TM)

Releases January 29th.

We now get a briefing on what Fire Emblem is. It's all about Fire Emblem. He's just talking about Fire Emblem's history.

Byleth uses the Sword of the Creator, which can extend, as well as borrowing the axe, lance, and bow from the other lords from Three Houses.

Garreg Mach Monastery is the included stage for the character. It'll cycle throughout all the different locations from the game, such as the marketplace. Certain Three Houses characters will be in the background, like Dimitri and Ingrid.

The Spirit Board will have new 3H characters.

Music from the game will be added, along with remixes.

Mii fighter costumes for Altair (Assassin's Creed), Rabbids, Mega Man X, Mega Man.EXE, and Cuphead headed to the game.

More fighters are planned! SIX new fighters are planned to be added in the future!

If you buy the Fighter's Pass 2, you get a bonus Mii costume modeled after an armor from Breath of the WIld.

To close out the video, we get a trailer showing off Abyss and the Ashen Wolves, a fourth house in Fire Emblem Three Houses, with new characters to teach. Cinder Shadows launches Feb 13 as DLC for FE: 3H.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Wait, I'm confused. Saw a thing revealing character outfits, and one saying cuphead was the new character. Come here, find this thread saying some fire emblem trash is the new dlc character. Which is it? One, the other, both or none?
Cuphead is a Mii Gunner costume, available for ¢75. Blyeth is the fifth Fighter Pass character.
Certainly kills the reason to buy that fighters pack from launch. Speaking of which, what were the five fighters that were supposed to be part of that collection? Or is #5 still not in there? :wacko:
Joker from Persona 5
Hero from Dragon Quest
Banjo & Kazooie from Banjo-Kazooie
Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury
Blyeth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Last edited by banjo2,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cuphead is a Mii Gunner costume, available for ¢75. Blyeth is the fifth Fighter Pass character.

Joker from Persona 5
Hero from Dragon Quest
Banjo & Kazooie from Banjo-Kazooie
Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury
Blyeth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Thanks for the answers there. Yeah, other than Terry, there isn't anyone else i personally like from that list. Or care enough about to get said package deal. At least the costume packs are cheap at sub-$1. Guess I'll figure out what to do, when i can finally get a Switch and Smash Ultimate for it.

Oh, wait, forgot about Banjo. Okay, yeah that was a clever one too.

Reactions: banjo2

ZetsuboOH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I like Sakurai counting in Binary with his fingers

Sakurai: I'll put whathever character i want in my game.
PJeoeQX.jpg

Reactions: codezer0 and banjo2
D

Deleted User

is sakurai alright?
who agreed to this?
im so disappointed even tho i had no expectations because i knew i was going to be disappointed in the first place.
honestly even tho the dlc pass isnt restricted to third party only, they could have at least put a better character in the game.
at least there's more fighters in the future.

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Eh, haters gonna hate. With five more fighters coming anyway, Byleth definitely deserves a spot on the roster. Three Houses is one of the best Switch games so far.

*Six new fighters, actually. Yeah, if this was the last DLC I’d probably be more upset, but with a bigger Fighter Pass 2 on the way I’m just loving the reaction to Byleth now. I like 3H too and he seems like an interesting character anyway so I’m in. Using the Hero’s Relics is a fun way to go beyond just “swordsman” and get a better FE representation.

Reactions: banjo2 and Xzi

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The more that gets revealed about the content for Ultimate, the more I'm glad I didn't bother investing time into it =\

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yet another Fire Emblem swordsman...why? Just why, Sakurai, when no-one wanted that?
Even if you couldn't make deals for 3rd-party characters, you could have at least added a Xenoblade character, or Wolf Link, or Astral Chain - I'm pretty sure Nintendo owns all three IPs, and thus wouldn't need to haggle to use those characters.

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yet another Fire Emblem swordsman...why? Just why, Sakurai, when no-one wanted that?
Even if you couldn't make deals for 3rd-party characters, you could have at least added a Xenoblade character, or Wolf Link, or Astral Chain - I'm pretty sure Nintendo owns all three IPs, and thus wouldn't need to haggle to use those characters.
Nintendo doesn't own Astral Chain, Platinum does (and maybe Tencent, depending of the actual contract between those two).

I'd love a Wolf Link/Amaterasu echo fighter combo though.

Last edited by medoli900,
Reactions: AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Also, how can Byleth use all the Heroes' Relics? I've only gotten to Ch. 6, and he's only got one Crest - whereas the Relics all require separate Crests to use safely (i.e. without transmogrifying into monsters - that's not much of a spoiler).

MagnesG

GBAtemp Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well at least, it's a chain sword plus 3 other weapons.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Melee, sword-wielders were my favorite. Now we have WAY more than enough sword-wielders.
In Melee, Roy my was my favorite. Now we have WAY more than enough Fire Emblem characters.
Fire Emblem: Three Houses is my favorite game on Switch, and in fact may be in my top 10 all-time. Still, Smash Bros. does not need any more Fire Emblem characters!

What a shame.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also, how can Byleth use all the Heroes' Relics? I've only gotten to Ch. 6, and he's only got one Crest - whereas the Relics all require separate Crests to use safely (i.e. without transmogrifying into monsters - that's not much of a spoiler).
They never say you need a specific crest to use a relic, only a crest. Any crest bearer can use any crest weapon, but their special effects only work if the crest matches.

I think using an incompatible crest with a relic also deals damage to the user, but that might be if a non-crest bearer uses it. I can't quite remember, though I do remember abusing it for ranged Vantage fun.

Edit: Relics deal 10 damage to crestless users. If the crest doesn't match the weapon, you lose access to its weapon art and that's it. tl;dr, give Felix Thunderbrand for a good time.

Last edited by Scarlet,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/OLqeHmZp-Wc?si=gnlLbzZEgWiNp5E5