Hacking Supercard DSTWO no longer being recognized

SWK88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, everyone.
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with my Supercard DSTWO (Not the plus version). I have been running the latest firmware & EOS on the cart since they've been out. My DSTWO worked on my 3DS and original NDS, but for a while now I was having issues with it. Sometimes it worked perfectly fine in either my 3DS or NDS, but other times the cart just wouldn't be recognized (It would say, "There is no DS Card inserted.") or it would say Update Error and when I booted it, it would be stuck on a white screen. These issues were usually solved by blowing into the sd card slot or reinserting the SD card.

Recently, this issue was happening more often, so I decided to format my sdcard using the SD Formatter from Panasonic (the one provided in the GBAtemp beginner's guide). After I formatted my sdcard and put everything back on it just the way it was before, but now it is no longer being recognized at all no matter how many times I reinserted it. It just says, "There is no DS Card inserted" or doesn't show any icon on my 3DS. I thought maybe the SDCard was going on it, but after trying a second microsd, the results were the same. I even tried formatting and just extracting the latest EOS on the root of my card with nothing else, but it still doesn't appear.

Is there any way to fix my card or is it dead? It is several years old now, but I was able to boot and use it 48 hours ago (although inconsistently) before I decided to reformat. I've searched for solutions on google and seen some people suggest cleaning the contacts, but that hasn't helped. The only potential fix I haven't tried yet is the "paper trick" some were suggesting for the AceKard 2i.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, everyone.
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with my Supercard DSTWO (Not the plus version). I have been running the latest firmware & EOS on the cart since they've been out. My DSTWO worked on my 3DS and original NDS, but for a while now I was having issues with it. Sometimes it worked perfectly fine in either my 3DS or NDS, but other times the cart just wouldn't be recognized (It would say, "There is no DS Card inserted.") or it would say Update Error and when I booted it, it would be stuck on a white screen. These issues were usually solved by blowing into the sd card slot or reinserting the SD card.

Recently, this issue was happening more often, so I decided to format my sdcard using the SD Formatter from Panasonic (the one provided in the GBAtemp beginner's guide). After I formatted my sdcard and put everything back on it just the way it was before, but now it is no longer being recognized at all no matter how many times I reinserted it. It just says, "There is no DS Card inserted" or doesn't show any icon on my 3DS. I thought maybe the SDCard was going on it, but after trying a second microsd, the results were the same. I even tried formatting and just extracting the latest EOS on the root of my card with nothing else, but it still doesn't appear.

Is there any way to fix my card or is it dead? It is several years old now, but I was able to boot and use it 48 hours ago (although inconsistently) before I decided to reformat. I've searched for solutions on google and seen some people suggest cleaning the contacts, but that hasn't helped. The only potential fix I haven't tried yet is the "paper trick" some were suggesting for the AceKard 2i.
Method #1:
Back in the day the SuperCard DSTWO models with the blue PCB boards had some really odd contact issues with the DS consoles. However there are a few methods I want you to try to use to see if maybe you can fix it. First off, the flash of the DSTWO will NOT be visible unless you have an SD card inserted in the little microSD slot of the flashcart with the necessary files on it. Now bear in mind that microSD card pins can definitely get damaged if used quite frequently, the pins on these small cards will definitely wear out the more you take it out or put it back into the flashcart. This is why you should buy durable name brand SD cards as they will last longer for you.

With that info I presented above I want you to first find and use another microSD card you have lying around if possible, make sure to check the pins on it first before inserting it into the flashcart. Of course remember to add the necessary files to the microSD card BEFORE inserting it into the flashcart. Test it on the DS hardware again and see if you have any better luck with this, if not move to method 2.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Method #2:
Just like method one we will be taking a look at pins, HOWEVER this time we will want to look at the pins on the flashcart itself. Flashcarts being used excessively will produce black marks on the contact pins of the flashcart, now more than likely this really isn't too big of an issue as most normal DS games that have this on their pins are still readable and obviously playable. However there have been some cases where cleaning these pins can actually provide better results with better reads when ran on the console(s). I personally recommend using a Q-tip with some alcohol on it to clean the pins, the best part about the older DSTWO model is you can actually open the shell pretty easy just by unscrewing the little screw on the bottom right just above the contact pins. So remove the PCB from the plastic shell itself and carefully clean the contact pins thoroughly with a Q-tip and some alcohol.

Now hold on a second, you are not finished quite yet. There is another set of pins that should be cleaned, hardly anyone thinks about this. You need to double check the contacts inside the console itself. The reason you should check these pins is because dust and dirt particles are always floating in the air whether you like it, believe it, or not, where you live can vary on the amount you end up dealing with in such environments too. When you leave your console sitting with an open cartridge slot, things like dust and dirt will crawl in there and end up sitting in that little space. The issue with this is pretty obvious by now, dirty console pins will end up rubbing on the cartridges you insert into it, though the dirtiness isn't so severe, it can make things harder to read. So just like you did for the flashcart pins, carefully and thoroughly clean the consoles contact pins and slot with a Q-tip and some alcohol. If this doesn't help then you will need to look at method 3.

NOTE: make sure you hold the console with the game slot facing the floor so none of the alcohol or dust/dirt is being push into places it shouldn't be in.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Method #3:
If you have reached this method then unfortunately there is not much else you can do for the device, sometimes good things must come to an end. However it is not the end of using flash devices in general, in fact flashcarts are still being made today as we speak (I believe you are already aware of that). In this case, it means IT'S TIME TO UPGRADE!!! Now a days good flashcarts use kernels that have really no compatibility issues at all, AND they work on the latest DSi/3DS firmwares without an issue. I will provide a couple places to buy flashcarts from, both places have worked for me so I wouldn't be listing places that don't work.

NDS-Card: GBAtemp sponsored
https://nds-card.com/

3DS-Flashcard: Not sponsored by anyone BUT they are very reliable (personal experience here with them so I am not gonna give false information)
http://3ds-flashcard.com/

NOTE: I recommend buying the R4i Gold 3DS Plus as it does NOT contain a timebomb.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really hope this helps you in some way, and I also hope you don't end up dealing with a dead flashcart. I hope one of these methods work out for you, good luck!

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,
  • Love
Reactions: Stash23 and SWK88

SWK88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. I really appreciate the help. Unfortunately though, I haven't had much success. I've tried several compatible microsd cards now with the Supercard, but I haven't had any new results. Nothing changed there.
I previously had opened up my DSTWO's shell and cleaned the contacts with some alcohol, but that didn't seem to change anything. I don't believe it is an issue with my NDS's or 3DS's contacts, as I have tried some other NDS games on both and they all appeared and worked without fail. However, I tried cleaning my NDS anyways to see if that would change anything, but that didn't many a difference.

Thanks again for the help. The DSTWO had lasted me many years (I have one of the blue PCB boards you mentioned), so I'm not that disappointed. The R4iGold 3DS Plus seems like a decent low-cost alternative rather than purchasing a new Supercard DSTWO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: We all should have free health, dental, vision care, and make the college kids pay for the...