Hardware Switch Buyback with New Revision?

Deathscreton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, the more people tend to discover within 5.0, the more it seems like a revision (whether it's to fix the hardware vulnerabilities, or to cash in on a new, but upgraded revision of the Switch) is inevitable. Of course, people would understandably be upset if a more powerful console released considering it's only been about 12 months (which isn't too long in the grand scheme of things. The DS Lite came out 16 months after the original DS released), so they have to be careful.

But what if they're doing this as a buyback system? They release a new system, something more powerful, akin to how the XboneX was released, then in order to appease early adopters, they allow you to cash in your system for 200, 300 bucks towards the new system. Early adopters get the new console cheap, Ninty gets vulnerable systems off the market, developers get the sense of security that's necessary for the development of a platform and games run better because dynamic resolution. Games could also be patched to take advantage of the new system resources, must like how PS4 games are done for the PS4 pro.

Thoughts?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If nobody bought into the half-generation bullshit to begin with, there might have been a chance of that happening.

Honestly? The half generation shtick seems alright on paper. You get a more powerful console that still plays with this generation without much issue. It just sucks because it'll be held back..

Deathscreton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm fairly confident they would not do that

You're... Overly optimistic.. Not gonna happen.. Ever.

Hahahaha, Nintendo would never do something like this. How do I know? Because, they'd make less money if they did your suggestion.

Come on guys, it's Ninty! They love their fanbase. They just wanna help us out. /s

But seriously, I don't think it's out of the realm of reality. Give early adopters a month or so to get their old Switches in, traded for cash value towards a new Switch. Nintendo was already suspicious of the Switches viability in the first place. They were most likely going head first in with the prospect that the system may fail. I do agree, they would be losing a chunk of change upfront, but if they're as hard headed as people like to believe regarding piracy and having vulnerable systems out in the open, it's not impossible to think they might do something along these lines. It's not optimism, it's business. Companies do it all the time with shares, why not with physical devices?

EDIT: Honestly, I just wanna be able to say I was the first to say it if a miracle happens. Kappa

Last edited by Deathscreton, , Reason: epeen

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought mine too a few days ago, I'm on the 3rd battery charge and never even tried the dock it's still in the box...

The new revision is probably the same switch hardware with the exploits fixed and if you are lucky Nvidia might make the same tegra in lower nm to get better efficiency...

I think Nintendo will surely wait a bit longer until Nvidia releases the latest tegra and then wait a bit more until its price drops so they could launch a new improved version...

M$ and Sony also did the same, they waited first for more technology to come then the prices of the older AMD chips droped and then they upgraded the consoles. If they have waited until this year or next year we would probably had Ryzen CPU cores instead of the old crap Jaguar ones...

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly? The half generation shtick seems alright on paper. You get a more powerful console that still plays with this generation without much issue. It just sucks because it'll be held back..
I find the half gen updates are actually able to play current games at what I think is an acceptable level while the original models often fail. In the previous gen I found myself refusing to ever play a multiplat on console instead of pc, now I actually dont mind multiplats.

Last edited by kevin corms,
Reactions: Kioku

INobody

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Won’t be happening. They fix the bootrom with mariko asap, nothing else. While there are >15M exploitable units in the wild a lot of causal are coming back to a home Console and won’t do any hacking nor put some paperclip into the joycon rail and sent a payload via usb. They don’t even care about markets like Brazil where they don’t even offer support. Then there are people which don’t want to lose their eshop purchases or risk an online ban for a child the 300$ are a lot and they can’t afford a new unit for Mariokart or trading Pokémon with their friends.

Nintendo is still trying to optimise the current hardware (new Joycon layout etc.), so they can bring the price into the 200$ child range (see the rumoured bundle without dock and powersuply).
I predict them to get the units in store right before Pokemon and Smash

What I could see in 3 years from now is a 1080p screen with a stronger more efficient SoC (to keep the temps down).

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, the more people tend to discover within 5.0, the more it seems like a revision (whether it's to fix the hardware vulnerabilities, or to cash in on a new, but upgraded revision of the Switch) is inevitable. Of course, people would understandably be upset if a more powerful console released considering it's only been about 12 months (which isn't too long in the grand scheme of things. The DS Lite came out 16 months after the original DS released), so they have to be careful.

But what if they're doing this as a buyback system? They release a new system, something more powerful, akin to how the XboneX was released, then in order to appease early adopters, they allow you to cash in your system for 200, 300 bucks towards the new system. Early adopters get the new console cheap, Ninty gets vulnerable systems off the market, developers get the sense of security that's necessary for the development of a platform and games run better because dynamic resolution. Games could also be patched to take advantage of the new system resources, must like how PS4 games are done for the PS4 pro.

Thoughts?
your grossly overestimate how much "piracy" costs nintendo. When in reality it's close to nothing. Your plan on the other hand would cost them millions.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Won’t be happening. They fix the bootrom with mariko asap, nothing else. While there are >15M exploitable units in the wild a lot of causal are coming back to a home Console and won’t do any hacking nor put some paperclip into the joycon rail and sent a payload via usb. They don’t even care about markets like Brazil where they don’t even offer support. Then there are people which don’t want to lose their eshop purchases or risk an online ban for a child the 300$ are a lot and they can’t afford a new unit for Mariokart or trading Pokémon with their friends.

Nintendo is still trying to optimise the current hardware (new Joycon layout etc.), so they can bring the price into the 200$ child range (see the rumoured bundle without dock and powersuply).
I predict them to get the units in store right before Pokemon and Smash

What I could see in 3 years from now is a 1080p screen with a stronger more efficient SoC (to keep the temps down).
Eh, doubt they will increase the screen resolution. Besides, it's not like the Switch's display looks bad as is.

Deathscreton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your grossly overestimate how much "piracy" costs nintendo. When in reality it's close to nothing. Your plan on the other hand would cost them millions.
1. Thanks for all you guys resurrecting a two month old thread.

2. I'm not overestimating anything. You're assuming that everyone would turn in their Switches when in reality, most probably wouldn't care about a buyback program, especially us on GBATemp. I don't think it'd cost them in the range of millions.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo would NEVER do something like that
also there is hints that TX are confident that they can exploit mariko units

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Highly doubt they would do something like a buyback thing...

Anyway and surprisingly enough, people here thrend to forget about that nintendo DID a mid gen upgrade with the 3ds...

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Highly doubt they would do something like a buyback thing...

Anyway and surprisingly enough, people here thrend to forget about that nintendo DID a mid gen upgrade with the 3ds...
They did, and they might do that again, but doubt they'd offer any sort of buyback program or increase the display resolution.

Deathscreton

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did, and they might do that again, but doubt they'd offer any sort of buyback program or increase the display resolution.
Why not? The 3DSXL was a major display resolution upgrade. The internal rendering resolution was the same, but the screen size did increase. I admit, the buyback is a little less likely now that we know what the new units are supposed to do. But its still in the realm of possibility, especially after they announce the new dockless sku, which I gurantee is probably comprised of Markio revision units.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Why not? The 3DSXL was a major display resolution upgrade. The internal rendering resolution was the same, but the screen size did increase. I admit, the buyback is a little less likely now that we know what the new units are supposed to do. But its still in the realm of possibility, especially after they announce the new dockless sku, which I gurantee is probably comprised of Markio revision units.
Uh, the screen size increased, but not the actual resolution of the thing. I'm pretty sure of that.

Reactions: whateverg1012

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious +1