Switch custom themes sharing thread

Since we got custom themes working on switch we have been stuck on a major issue: home menu's SZS files are illegal to share because they contain copyrighted data.
This is the reason why I developed the nxtheme format: it's a custom container for switch themes that's 100% legal and that works on every firmware.
Use this thread to post your own custom themes, if you have any question ask in the Switch theme injector release thread.

TLDR; Now themes are nxtheme files, they can be installed with NxThemes Installer on any switch. nxtheme files are legal and can be shared here. DO NOT SHARE THE SZS FILES.

How to share custom themes:
1) Make a theme like you normally would
2) Click "build nxtheme" instead of "patch and save"
3) Post the output nxtheme here.
That's it. As you can see the process has been totally reworked and this time it's much easier for end users.

How to install custom themes:
1) Download NXThemes installer on your switch (it's also available on the homebrew appstore)
2) Copy the nxtheme file in the themes folder on your sd
4) Install the theme and reboot

You may also find links like the ones below, those are Auto-Theme links, it's the old way of sharing themes, when you open them it will automatically download nxtheme files you can install.

Where can i find custom themes ?
You can look in the download center, in this thread and on this subreddit

So I'll be the first:

GBATemp theme:
upload_2018-10-31_21-59-45.png
With Doge's layout: link

upload_2018-10-31_22-2-2.png
With zaigenshi's layout: link
(This only displays the first user account)​

Happy sharing :)
Also a huge shout out to Costello who enabled the download center to work with Auto-Theme

Last edited by exelix11,

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there anyway of dumping your qlaunch file for your own needs?
Yes, by following the nxtheme setup guide it will extract all the files you need to make themes in your sd, if you want the whole romfs follow the guide till the pc part but then don't use the injector auto extraction and use hactool on the home.nca file.
Note that with the new nxtheme format you DON'T need the szs files on your pc.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, by following the nxtheme setup guide it will extract all the files you need to make themes in your sd, if you want the whole romfs follow the guide till the pc part but then don't use the injector auto extraction and use hactool on the home.nca file.
Note that with the new nxtheme format you DON'T need the szs files on your pc.
I've done all that but it wont dump the main qlaunch file.

Also I hope your ok with this @exelix11 a forwarder for eveyone to use, just install it via your favorite installer. I love this theme installer it really is good!

Attachments

• Theme Installer Forwarder.rar
    3.4 MB · Views: 248
Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: MassiveRican

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've done all that but it wont dump the main qlaunch file.

Also I hope your ok with this @exelix11 a forwarder for eveyone to use, just install it via your favorite installer. I love this theme installer it really is good!
What to do you mean with main ? are you looking for the exefs ? for that you need hactool, this should be the command: hactool -k <your key file> --exefsdir=homeexefs <your home.nca file> this should extract the exefs in a folder called homeexefs.
About the forwarder it looks cool but i'm not supporting nsps cause that's a 100% way to get banned (that's why i haven't published and nsp build) also idk if you can post it on gbatemp.

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Former Auto-theme and nxtheme files should work on every firmware, in your case the issue is clearly the layout json (but some firmwares may be more or less picky about corrupted layouts)

Yes but you have to check the firmware version as well.
How do i check the firmware version of the file?

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can you get banned for using these legal themes
To clarify, using LayeredFS can get you banned, so any game mod can. Personally i haven't been banned yet, i only use atmosphere with homebrews and test themes a lot. But when i am in the cfw i always make sure to use airplane mode or 90DNS

Reactions: Owenge

TheHaxForU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i mucked up somehow, possibly using a theme for a different firmware..
now i cant boot my switch error code 2168-0002
i really don't want to have to restore a backup as its from a few months ago :\

DerEineee

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well i mucked up somehow, possibly using a theme for a different firmware..
now i cant boot my switch error code 2168-0002
i really don't want to have to restore a backup as its from a few months ago :\

I had the same issue. Just follow this path on your sd-card and delete the theme files.

/TheCFWYouAreUsing/title

Inside the title folder should be a folder with random numbers. Delete this one. If there are more than one just delete all. If this is the case you basically just uninstall every gamemod/theme.

Reactions: TheHaxForU
D

Deleted User

is there a batch converter? to szs to nxtheme because i have 20+ themes i made and i'd rather not remake them

TheHaxForU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same issue. Just follow this path on your sd-card and delete the theme files.

/TheCFWYouAreUsing/title

Inside the title folder should be a folder with random numbers. Delete this one. If there are more than one just delete all. If this is the case you basically just uninstall every gamemod/theme.

thank you. that worked :]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kinda feeling like that remix of the perfect cell theme