Huntereb

OP
Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Hey! I picked up a switch recently because of the hardware exploit that recently came out, however, the display is bothering me a bit. It might just be my autism, but from left to right, the display brightness drops off just a hair. It's most noticeable on whites or greys, but in-game when the colors are not uniform it looks fine. Is it worth me taking it back and swapping it out for the other unit in the store before I can't return it, or is this a normal thing and I'll be playing the lottery taking it back?

Thanks!

CeLdH09.jpg

EDIT: Here's my resolution https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-display-backlight-uneven-drop-off.503003/#post-7958162

Last edited by Huntereb,

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good reply, that's how I remember GBATemp. Do you think taking it back to exchange for another is even worthwhile? I'd like not to come home with another one similar to it.

I was going to write "You just want a reply that convinces you to keep it but in the end this is a useless thread because our answers won't matter." but decided to keep it shorter. I can't help you. Edit - WE can't help you.

Huntereb

OP
Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Any picture of it? Would be helpful.
Sure, check the OP!

I was going to write "You just want a reply that convinces you to keep it but in the end this is a useless thread because our answers won't matter." but decided to keep it shorter. I can't help you. Edit - WE can't help you.
This is true for the most part, however I'm more concerned on whether it's a common issue or not.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, check the OP!

This is true for the most part, however I'm more concerned on whether it's a common issue or not.

From looking at the picture I will say I wouldn't return it only to receive one back with dead pixels. Not a chance in hell. Besides that doesn't look too bad. My two consoles don't show any uneven brightness that I can see but they're different color temps for sure. While my first one has the cool white screen my second intended for hacking at 3.0.0 definately has a warmer screen. You can see it when compared side by side but both screens are totally fine. If I had any dead pixels I'd be pissed off. Your screen doesn't look too bad. Looks like you've got a black spot on the lower right side though...

Last edited by isoboy,

Huntereb

OP
Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
From looking at the picture I will say I wouldn't return it only to receive one back with dead pixels. Not a chance in hell. Besides that doesn't look too bad. My two consoles don't show any uneven brightness that I can see but they're different color temps for sure. While my first one has the cool white screen my second intended for hacking at 3.0.0 definately has a warmer screen. You can see it when compared side by side but both screens are totally fine. If I had any dead pixels I'd be pissed off. Your screen doesn't look too bad.
That's certainly a convincing argument, sounds like it does tend to be a common issue. I've heard they use different manufacturers for the display since the launch of the console, so I'm not surprised your devices have slight differences in color. It just bums me out quite a bit to have spent as much as I have on this device for it to be sub-par in the display category.

I should also comment that the image I posted doesn't do it justice, it in fact looks better in person than the image would lead you to believe.

Last edited by Huntereb,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Sure, check the OP!

I've got the issue on my current Switch. It's constantly docked and I never pay much attention while playing handheld.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your switch screen loses brightness in the exact same areas my pc monitor have a tiny bit of backlight bleed. The online store I'd buy from have a 60 day return policy, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. That's how I sent back my 1.0.0 when it had lots of rainbow blinking pixels and one very clear dead pixel. Return label already included. This wouldn't have been an issue for me. It's not a US site. I'm not american.

Last edited by isoboy,

Jhnsn

*Flat is Justice*
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well if you think it annoys you too much then send it to Nintendo for repair. If you don't really bother then just try to ignore it or only play in docked mode.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Huntereb

OP
Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
I've got the issue on my current Switch. It's constantly docked and I never pay much attention while playing handheld.
I also plan on using my device primarily on the television, but once Android and such are "inevitably" ported to this device I'll gladly use it on-the-go, and this issue certainly won't please me.

Your switch screen loses brightness in the exact same areas my pc monitor have a tiny bit of backlight bleed.
Oh the joys of LCD technology! Avoid them like the plague on any other devices if you can!

Well if you think it annoys you too much then send it to Nintendo for repair. If you don't really bother then just try to ignore it or only play in docked mode.
I'd rather take it back to the store right quick, in case I get back a new hardware revision in the mail. ;)

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh the joys of LCD technology! Avoid them like the plague on any other devices if you can!

I knew what I was getting before I bought it. I was provided pictures and they were way worse than what it actually looks like. You can barely see it. It's a used pc monitor. 144hz IPS. It's an auction site where I use a safe payment option so I have ten days to approve the item before the seller gets his/her money anyways. I know exactly what I'm buying. I couldn't turn it down at the price. It has another issue but that's another story.

I also used like five tempered glass screen protectors on my first switch until I was happy. Not a speck of a dust particle to be seen. If there's dust under my screen protectors I'm not using them. I kept re-applying them but wasn't happy until I used a few. So you're not the crazy one here. The second switch I got perfect on my first try.

Last edited by isoboy,
Reactions: Huntereb

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the pic we can't tell anything, only seeing it in real life I could say anything...

Most LCDs have different brightness zones however on white is not usual to see much difference at naked eye, usually on big TVs is the corners that suffer more.

But there's also lucky lottery, 2 same devices can look incredibly different in terms of screen, some use different screen manufacturers and even with the same exact model they usually have slightly different colour calibrations.

I hope with CFW later we could change white balance, I wanted to add more blue to make a more ice cold white on mine.

Huntereb

OP
Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'm back from a couple stores. I returned my unit in the OP pic to my local Walmart, which were out of Switches. So I called up a Walmart further away and ran to them and grabbed a black one, and opened it up right at the register.

Same issue... Darker on one side.

So I walked out and went over to the Gamestop across the street (Probably should have went here originally) and explained my situation to everyone. They all agreed that they could see a dropoff in brightness on my new unit, so they told me to take it back and they'd help me out over there. So I took it back to Walmart, got my refund not even 30 minutes after purchasing it, went back to Gamestop and looked at the used switches they have. I figured maybe the older units would have different display manufacturers. I thought wrong... I looked at two used systems they had in stock and they both had the same issue. In the end I told the dudes that I'll just buy a new one from you guys and hope and pray it's slightly better, and it was better than my first two so whatever... Looks like all Switches (That aren't launch systems?) have this issue, no winning on my end.

TL;DR: I have autism. :wtf:

Huntereb

OP
Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
How important is it to you? $447.00 of importance?
Yeah nah... Hardly. I actually messed around just a sec ago with this new unit and I'm a lot happier with the result. I have a "jig", USB-C Cable, and a screen protector in the mail so I'm ready for some fun. I feel a lot better knowing this isn't just my luck of the draw.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are like that on the switch, you will have 999% more problems when buying a big TV LOL.

I never seen a 100% black and white distribution. Even a lot of expensive Led LCDs have bleeches\spots\marks and all the stuff you can imagine and most are not defective and are just what they are ;).

But you make me remember when I got a nokia can't remember the model, 1 had dead pixels, the guys in the store couldnt see them, but switched me for another one and the other had light bleeding on the keyboard lool, but hell light bleed on the keyboard is way better than having dead pixels on a brand new device.

Last edited by guily6669,

Huntereb

OP
Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
If you are like that on the switch, you will have 999% more problems when buying a big TV LOL.
I think I'm just more lenient on devices I won't be shoving directly in front of my face. :P

But you make me remember when I got a nokia can't remember the model, 1 had dead pixels, the guys in the store couldnt see them, but switched me for another one and the other had light bleeding on the keyboard lool, but hell light bleed on the keyboard is way better than having dead pixels on a brand new device.
Yeah I'd have done the same thing for a dead pixel, that's MUCH worse than uneven lighting!

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However some devices here you can be out of luck as usually they don't exchange it or repair it since they all claim less than a certain number of dead\stuck pixels it's not a defect...

This is so lame as from what I know of LCDs usually a dead pixel is a dead transistor and a stuck pixel a bad transistor, I wonder if when we buy a CPU and then it has bad transistors why don't they say it's also not a defect and just a problem of that technology lol rendering the CPU unusable or making all sorts of errors running apps...

I know some CPUs have areas disabled at factory which were bad, but the rest must have the stated transistor number always working.

Edit: oh and on my switch light distribution looks perfect, but I have a very small mark on the LCD it self below the touch panel on the right bottom part, it looks a bit like dirt, but it's only visible on pure white backgrounds, I won't exchange and be in dangerous of getting a Mariko Switch more than a month later when the new arrive...

Last edited by guily6669,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1