Homebrew RELEASE Switch Homebrew Appstore

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I've gone through the list of apps and re-uploaded new NRO's that should all work with HBL now. Let me know if there's anything that isn't working as expected or that's missing!

When Retroarch gains SD support and kgdoom loads from somewhere other than network, they'll be added back as well (should be soon!)

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
upload_2018-2-20_18-9-0.png
Good icon or nah?

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, are the actual app icons 256x256px? If so, what dpi/ppi?

I’m willing to help with graphic designs—I just need to know the specs to design at.

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
So, are the actual app icons 256x256px? If so, what dpi/ppi?

I’m willing to help with graphic designs—I just need to know the specs to design at.
I'm not quite sure what the situation with icons is currently-- HBL expects embedded 256x256 jpeg images appended to the actual .nro file alongside some metadata. Currently there's no tool to modify this externally (libnx implementation is here and the AssetHeader spec here if someone wants to work on one).

Right now this web frontend is displaying PNG icons of a couple different sizes (some square) and just cropping them in the browser to fit the old Wii U hbl icon size. So these PNGs are distinct from any embedded jpeg icon data that may be in the .nro's themselves. For now I'm going to remain flexible on that in case something changes in a future HBL redesign (and because I don't personally want to use all jpegs right now... but that could change!)

Reactions: TiMeBoMb4u2

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not quite sure what the situation with icons is currently-- HBL expects embedded 256x256 jpeg images appended to the actual .nro file alongside some metadata. Currently there's no tool to modify this externally (libnx implementation is here and the AssetHeader spec here if someone wants to work on one).
Right now this web frontend is displaying PNG icons of a couple different sizes (some square) and just cropping them in the browser to fit the old Wii U hbl icon size. So these PNGs are distinct from any embedded jpeg icon data that may be in the .nro's themselves. For now I'm going to remain flexible on that in case something changes in a future HBL redesign (and because I don't personally want to use all jpegs right now... but that could change!)

Understood.

In all honesty, although a LOT of work went into it, I truly feel like this iteration of the Switch HBL was released more to appease the "I want it, I want it now" crowd. Plus, this release has the homebrew basics in which the devs could then build something much more grand. It gives them an idea of who is really dedicated to pushing the Switch scene along, and who is willing to contribute.

My hopes are set that newer releases will be more non-dev-friendly, in which icons can substituted and replaced easily I'm also keeping my hopes up for PNG (w/ transparency) support. PNGs, although usually greater in raw size, can typically be compressed with greater quality, but smaller file sizes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: