Hardware switch NEXT to wiiu gamepad

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
seriously what do you guys use the d-pad for anyway?
Let me think, old-school games and Fire Emblem, for example.
I could think of me using the d-pad a lot on my XBONE playing e.g. Ducktales.
I suppose there are a lot more examples, but there are some type of games where d-pad is preferable over analog stick or buttons.
I can deal with buttons anyway, but I would prefer a d-pad in those games.

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Lack of d-pad? Well the switch "Pro" Controller will have a standard control layout like the wii u pro right? Also the buttons i would assume is the d-pad when used as a single system and not pulled apart when using 2 player modes. But if you meant for 2 player mode then i suppose is bad that there is no D pad and only joy stick. But i'm sure there is a work around.... Dual Swith "Pro" Controllers instead of joy cons? :P

Thing is, that Pro controller is overpriced right now.

seriously what do you guys use the d-pad for anyway what's it used for in games these days except to strike a pose in smash bros? :P

And a 4-buttons replacement don't really cut it for traditional platformers. If you tell me that you use the sticks to play a game like Shovel Knight, I'll believe you, but I'll add you to my list of gaming masochists :creep:
Although as I've said, it doesn't matter to me as I don't plan on buying it anytime soon, but probably near its lifespan's end.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
In the few things I might use a D-pad for, four small(ish) buttons will suffice just as well. The pro controller might be my preference after trying out the joy cons in their various configurations, but I'm willing to give them a fair shot. Holding them separately and leaving my arms on the chair rests seems like it would be a nice change of pace from a typical controller.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Playing Shovel Knight without a d-pad is like trying to play Mario/Sonic traditional platforming game on a touchscreen. I am pleased the screen quality of the Switch Tablet, though. :)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
The lack of D-pad feels questionable for sure.
It doesn't really matter to me though, as I will not be buying the console at launch but eventually much,much later and by that point the Joycons might have seen a revision. Or there will be some non-official alternatives.
Definite version 2.0 buyer here too. Or later.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This also shows what a technical marvel the switch console really is.
Roughly 4 time more powerfull than the Wiiu was ( wich was also more powerfull than ps3 and xbox360 but few people realize this )
Yet manages to be far more smaller than the gamepad itself.
How the hell did they cram all that stuff in there????
Looking at my consoles makes them look really "old fashioned" know....so damn bulky and power hungry...

This is a console that is mindblowing on a technical level to say the least....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Playing Shovel Knight without a d-pad is like trying to play Mario/Sonic traditional platforming game on a touchscreen. I am pleased the screen quality of the Switch Tablet, though. :)
Additional joy-con designs might be possible in the future.......knowing Nintendo.

Last edited by Hielkenator,

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What does concern me the most is, lookin at hte right joy-con, the analog might be in the way using the abxy buttons...
Idealy they should be offset to be in line with the left control "d-pad" buttons.....

More like the wiiu gamepad righ side witht the analog and button "switched"......( no pun intended )

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe this just now came to mind, but Playstation controllers don't have D-pads either. Just four separate buttons like joy cons. Guess it doesn't matter too much to people in general, or PS4 wouldn't be the best-selling console this generation so far.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't believe this just now came to mind, but Playstation controllers don't have D-pads either. Just four separate buttons like joy cons. Guess it doesn't matter too much to people in general, or PS4 wouldn't be the best-selling console this generation so far.

This move probably saved them kajillions. The "+" dpad is (was) patented by Nintendo. It makes it extra funny that Nintendo is not using it now in the main unit of the Switch http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/Top+5+charts/feature.asp?c=29914

Sony's design feels fine. It's very easy to naturally feel the centre because there is a gap there. Also easy to feel diagonals. Crucially, the 4-button set acts as one (all of them move when one is pressed). So it feels very connected. The buttons aren't circular like the others and they are closer together than the others on their controller too. Maybe Sony's design would be a better choice for the Switch but very likely it has patents associated with it too. I don't know how anything is done without violating patents of some sort today.

Last edited by foob,

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This move probably saved them kajillions. The "+" dpad is (was) patented by Nintendo. It makes it extra funny that Nintendo is not using it now in the main unit of the Switch http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/Top+5+charts/feature.asp?c=29914

Sony's design feels fine. It's very easy to naturally feel the centre because there is a gap there. Also easy to feel diagonals. Crucially, the 4-button set acts as one (all of them move when one is pressed). So it feels very connected. The buttons aren't circular like the others and they are closer together than the others on their controller too. Maybe Sony's design would be a better choice for the Switch but very likely it has patents associated with it too. I don't know how anything is done without violating patents of some sort today.

Sony's D-pad alternative feels the best for me in the current generation of standard controllers (Wii U d-pad is ok of course, but I don't really like using that big ass controller for general gaming).
Xbone controller d-pad is meh for me, too clicky.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this graphic I saw on Reddit has been referenced here or not but what really astounds me is the Switch with Joyless Cons weighs less that the Wii U gamepad and only slightly more that the N3DS XL. Also notable is the tablet only is less than the N3DS XL.

Whatever it's faults it is an amazing piece of engineering.

xmg962n3hmcy.png

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not sure if this graphic I saw on Reddit has been referenced here or not but what really astounds me is the Switch with Joyless Cons weighs less that the Wii U gamepad and only slightly more that the N3DS XL. Also notable is the tablet only is less than the N3DS XL.

Whatever it's faults it is an amazing piece of engineering.

xmg962n3hmcy.png
Yeah, when I read what it weighted I was convinced weight wouldn't be a problem, it is just a bit heavier than the (not new) 3DS XL I use everyday.
It will be great when I buy it below $250. (waiting patiently)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land