Hardware switch NEXT to wiiu gamepad

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I couldn't imagine playing NES or SNES BC games on the switch without a DPad. I really hope the joycons get an update for that. The switch pro controller has one, but I don't like the placement of it.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I couldn't imagine playing NES or SNES BC games on the switch without a DPad. I really hope the joycons get an update for that. The switch pro controller has one, but I don't like the placement of it.
I think it might be quite easy to mod the controller and create a custom dpad on your own, and if you are a temper you should get excited to mod things. TBH I also think a good old Megaman, or any platformer, would be a pain to play without a dpad.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

seriously what do you guys use the d-pad for anyway what's it used for in games these days except to strike a pose in smash bros? :P
Platforming games and even racing if the analogue stick goes bust.

You try playing platforming games with an analogue stick, it's nowhere near as good as it is with a directional pad.

look at it compared to the wiiu gamepad that thing was heavy!
At least the WiiU GamePad had a real controller layout scheme whereas everything about the Switch's Joy-Cons are minuscule. Nintendo takes 2 steps forwards and 1 backwards.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know where my Nintendo switch will be going in my entertainment setup - right where my second wii u is occupying. I need to sell that thing possibly near zelda's release. :D I probably won't be getting a switch until the Fall when Mario's released. at the moment, I have no money. I'm selling all of my 3ds and vita games, then I'll get to consoles (only extras) after that. ;)

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I admit my adversion to the Joyless Cons may be a bit premature not having touched them yet. The compromises needed to make them independent controllers seem just to great to me. However given all the complaining about controller prices I certainly understand it.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"The Gamepad is Beautiful!" Said no one, Ever. (Except for Nintendo)

Was just thinking it really reminds me of the early HD TV sets from 12-15 years ago with the huge bezels.

Not a pretty looking thing, but I'd be lying if I said it was uncomfortable, I am a little concerned about how comfortable the Switch actually will be in my hands in portable mode, I'm sure it will be fine, but you gotta admit that the grips that the Wii U gamepad has are actually pretty nice and feels right, the Joycons alone don't really have that.

Reactions: thorasgar
S

Saiyan Lusitano

"The Gamepad is Beautiful!" Said no one, Ever. (Except for Nintendo)

Was just thinking it really reminds me of the early HD TV sets from 12-15 years ago with the huge bezels.
The Nintendo loyalists on other communities say that they find the WiiU GamePad an amazing piece of technology. Maybe if we were back in the early 2000's that would be true. :rofl2:

Reactions: thorasgar

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Nintendo loyalists on other communities say that they find the WiiU GamePad an amazing piece of technology. Maybe if we were back in the early 2000's that would be true. :rofl2:

I still think its some fine tech. I love the Wii U. Shame it never caught on, can't help but think of all the missed opportunities that could have been utilized with second screen/asymmetrical gaming. Ah well, I'm still very happy with a lot of the games the system did receive.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This also shows what a technical marvel the switch console really is.
Roughly 4 time more powerfull than the Wiiu was ( wich was also more powerfull than ps3 and xbox360 but few people realize this )
Yet manages to be far more smaller than the gamepad itself.
How the hell did they cram all that stuff in there????
Looking at my consoles makes them look really "old fashioned" know....so damn bulky and power hungry...

This is a console that is mindblowing on a technical level to say the least....

Whoa there, zip your fanboy bias back in your pants. The whole "Wii U is more powerful than PS3/XBOX360" thing is based on a questionable interpretation of hardware specs, and real world performance has demonstrated otherwise, show me something that looks like Halo 4 or Gears 3 on Wii U and I'll recant. I have no idea where you're getting this "4x more powerful" thing from. Official specifications haven't been released yet, but it utilises something similar to an Tegra X1, underclocked for Switch use, and further undercloscked in tablet mode, with "possible" (docked) performance of around 1Tflop, far from 4x the Wii U's 360 Gflops.

This thing will not be a Scorpio/PS4 Pro competitor, graphically at least, however much you wish for it.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a pretty looking thing, but I'd be lying if I said it was uncomfortable, I am a little concerned about how comfortable the Switch actually will be in my hands in portable mode, I'm sure it will be fine, but you gotta admit that the grips that the Wii U gamepad has are actually pretty nice and feels right, the Joycons alone don't really have that.
The comfortableness of the Switch is my primary concern, I never could take to the 3DS primarily because my fingers would start to cramp up after a few minutes. Maybe it won't be a problem, but if it is I am sure wHORI or others will make a cheap comfort grip for the whole thing in attached mode. Another reason I am holding off on a travel case until I know more.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Whoa there, zip your fanboy bias back in your pants. The whole "Wii U is more powerful than PS3/XBOX360" thing is based on a questionable interpretation of hardware specs, and real world performance has demonstrated otherwise, show me something that looks like Halo 4 or Gears 3 on Wii U and I'll recant. I have no idea where you're getting this "4x more powerful" thing from. Official specifications haven't been released yet, but it utilises something similar to an Tegra X1, underclocked for Switch use, and further undercloscked in tablet mode, with "possible" (docked) performance of around 1Tflop, far from 4x the Wii U's 360 Gflops.

This thing will not be a Scorpio/PS4 Pro competitor, graphically at least, however much you wish for it.
Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water looks amazing on the WiiU.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So do Mass Effect 3, Batman Arkham City AE, Bayonetta 2, Watch dogs, etc.
There were some good looking games... But mostly X360 gen kind of good looking.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Those games looked alright but you mentioned one which did show WiiU's potential -- Bayonetta 2. Most Wanted was another game that put the WiiU to the test.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In my opinion Splatoon looks like a game on par with the current gen, as does the Wii U Breath of the Wild (in terms of graphics that is, framerate doesn't appear to be up to par though).

Last edited by duffmmann,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

In my opinion Splatoon looks like a game on par with the current gen, as does the Wii U Breath of the Wild (in terms of graphics that is, framerate doesn't appear to be up to par though).
Zelda BotWiiU has an odd green tint and graphically it looks inferior to the Switch version which isn't a surprise but yet it's disappointing that it doesn't look on par.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zelda BotWiiU has an odd green tint and graphically it looks inferior to the Switch version which isn't a surprise but yet it's disappointing that it doesn't look on par.

I'm aware that it doesn't look as good on the Wii U as the Switch version. However, I still think the Wii U version overall looks on par graphically with a PS4 or Xbone game.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water looks amazing on the WiiU.

I checked out Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water, it's a pretty game, though not (IMO) comparable to Alan Wake in terms of lighting effect. Bayonetta 2 is also a great looking game, but suffers, as do many GCN/Wii/Wii U games that I've played/seen from what I think of as the "Nintendo look" which is hard to define, but is almost like a filter over many games on these systems that dulls the graphics. I see it most clearly when comparing cross-platform games side by side. THPS 3, Burnout 2 are a couple where I first noticed it (old games I know). I think the most recent cross-platform I've played was COD: Black Ops, and maybe it was just a lazy port, but the effect was very evident on the Wii version.

There are exceptions for sure, the Wii version of RE4 is so good I have hesitated to buy the HD re-releases, and games like the Metroid Prime series (and Other M), have impressed me greatly.

I think the prevalence of "cartoony" games on Nintendo consoles can make cross platform comparison hard, but if you've played Garden Warfare 2 on an XB1 or PS4 you'll know how high the bar has been recently set for that kind of game.

I want to be clear (I feel like I repeat this a lot), that I am not anti-Nintendo. I own every Nintendo console and handheld excluding NES, Virtual Boy and Wii U, and play them all regularly, I have a 32" CRT in my bedroom (200lbs) just for the SNES and N64. I just fear that overly partisan Nintendo fans on this site and elsewhere are desperate for Switch to put the big N back on top of the video game industry, and I feel that's unlikely. The Switch is an interesting concept, but I honestly feel Nintendo have taken some missteps: It's a portable that's not really portable, it's not fitting in your pants pocket is it? Are you ging to feel safe toting that $400 toy around with you? It's a home console that feels a little "last gen", console exclusves aside (didn't help Wii U), who but the die-hard fans will buy this and settle for second rate cross platform ports? It's kind of expensive, compared side-by-side with the competition. I hear people shouting "XB1 was $500 at launch", but the price of a competitor 3 years ago is meaningless today, unless Zelda BotW and Mario Oddysey are absolute killer apps people will likely decide to "wait and see", which will hurt early sales, and endanger 3rd party development.

I really hope I'm wrong about all of this, but hardcore fans should temper their excitment a little, in case it all goes wrong. I went down this road with the Dreamcast (and yes, I still own and play one), and the DC had power, software and pricing in its favour. Know what I'm saying?

Last edited by mechagouki,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land