Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

zerohealinzz

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
is there any reason to "trim" a switch game? Im just curious if there are any benefits aside from making the file size smaller.

Are there downsides to this?

DJBass88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question regarding loading backups, Firmware Version and the SX pro. Bottomline I'd like a physical cart collection for my main switch and a digital collection for my hacked switch. My question is, How would backup loading work for future games if those games always require higher firmware versions? Should I just recklessly update my hacked switch to keep pace with newer backups or will that compromise my ability to run emulators on the hacked switch as well?

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

is there any reason to "trim" a switch game? Im just curious if there are any benefits aside from making the file size smaller.

Are there downsides to this?

What I've read in the Threads, I think it's just for fitting more on your SD card, no other benefit or downsides.

Quick question regarding loading backups, Firmware Version and the SX pro. Bottomline I'd like a physical cart collection for my main switch and a digital collection for my hacked switch. My question is, How would backup loading work for future games if those games always require higher firmware versions? Should I just recklessly update my hacked switch to keep pace with newer backups or will that compromise my ability to run emulators on the hacked switch as well?

I can answer part of your questions: You only have 6 fuses inside your Switch console, so burning them with your hacked Switch I read isn't a good idea. Here is a Thread that may help with this
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

And as of right now no games require you to be on 5.0 or 5.01 to play them, unless you are playing online games (but then you'll get banned).
https://gbatemp.net/threads/list-games-required-firmware-version.485959/

Last edited by elm,
Reactions: zerohealinzz

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I'm on 2.3, I now know I can use hekate to dump my nand.
But does hekate support exfat (even though my switch's fw doesn't?)
Hekate is loaded before the switch os, so I wouldn't think it makes a difference what fw I am on.

I don't want to format my sd as fat32 if I don't have to.

Thanks

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can you update games without being in the latest firmware?
Not that I'm aware of
The leaked DevMenu app can install game updates.
for SX PRO and 200GB microSD: How should I format the microSD? FAT32 or EXFAT? And is there a tool to format the SD correctly? I heard that formatting using the switch and Mac will cause problems! So, is there a good tool for windows maybe? thanks in advance!
FAT32 if you are willing to split XCI files bigger than 4 GB into multiple parts. exFAT if you don't want to split XCI files bigger than 4 GB. However, your console will update to the latest firmware in order to use an exFAT formatted card if you have not already downloaded it prior (by inserting an exFAT formatted card prior). There are 2 guides you can follow to get exFAT working without updating the Switch:
1. https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/
2. https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...tch-console-on-any-ofw-without-update.505182/
I'm on 2.3, I now know I can use hekate to dump my nand.
But does hekate support exfat (even though my switch's fw doesn't?)
Hekate is loaded before the switch os, so I wouldn't think it makes a difference what fw I am on.

I don't want to format my sd as fat32 if I don't have to.

Thanks
Hekate supports exFAT. NAND dumping occurs in exFAT, not Horizon so your Switch does not need the exFAT update to dump the raw NAND.

Reactions: cearp

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know these have probably been asked, but I did search many Threads and found answers to some of my questions.

1) Will the Pro SX prompt me of doing a backup of my Nand before using it?

2) Should I use airplane mode or just turn off my Wi-Fi internet connection to the Switch, or does it require some Wi-Fi like the PS4 hack?

Thanks

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know these have probably been asked, but I did search many Threads and found answers to some of my questions.

1) Will the Pro SX prompt me of doing a backup of my Nand before using it?

2) Should I use airplane mode or just turn off my Wi-Fi internet connection to the Switch, or does it require some Wi-Fi like the PS4 hack?

Thanks
  1. SX OS/Pro do not have a way to dump the NAND. Only Hekate supports this feature
  2. There's been some talk that the Switch BRIEFLY connects to the Internet even while in Airplane Mode so it might be best to remove the Internet settings altogether if you are trying to avoid a ban (it is an additional question in my survey after all)

Reactions: elm

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@elm Hekate is the name of a payload.bin which doubles as a bootloader similar to SX OS Loader. It enables homebrew in of itself and does not need homebrew to be run. Hekate needs to be run the same as SX OS Loader.

Reactions: elm

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any tutorial? or it can just download straight from eshop?
Sadly, there is no tutorial on GBATemp on how to use it to install updates but it has been reported. Also, it works similarly to FBI for the 3DS. DevMenu is a title manager that installs, well, titles. It does not download anything from Nintendo's servers.

Reactions: Garou

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
Sadly, there is no tutorial on GBATemp on how to use it to install updates but it has been reported. Also, it works similarly to FBI for the 3DS. DevMenu is a title manager that installs, well, titles. It does not download anything from Nintendo's servers.
that's what I thought judging by the name
just need to find a way to download updates from CDN then
thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I just want a Pokemon Hell Raiser fan game 😭
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Anyone wanna play with my joydock
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted...