Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

FinalBoss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought the Bestbuy Black Friday Mario cart 8 switch bundle. It is ipatched, and on 4.1.0. What are my options for installing CFW? I don't really want to pay for SXOS.

flatty69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
you can always buy a switch console only on ebay that are exploitable used for 170 thats what i did so i can have one for cfw and one on ofw

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like none available at the moment? Or none ever because ipatched?
None available at the moment. I cannot predict the future, so I cannot say if you will ever be able to put CFW on an ipatched unit. Team Xecuter, behind SX OS, claims they are still working on finding a way to do it. Which means they don't even have a currently viable path to follow. As far as I am aware, nobody has a way to boot CFW on ipatched units, including private scenes. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: FinalBoss

nutsack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So 6.2.0 was hyped as armageddon for Switch homebrew/piracy, but now it sounds like 6.2.0 CFW isn't too far off. I just ran across a video on youtube acting like 5.0.0 was going to kill homebrew/piracy at the time but we know better now. Is this normal? Were there more firmware that were supposed to be uncrackable at the time?

Viking_Redbeard

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
yetigamer.com
XP
Country
United States
So, I upgraded to 6.2.0 and just successfully downgraded to 6.1.0. When I am ready to upgrade again (On December 6th at 11pm :D), if I just restore my full NAND backup and all that jazz, will I boot back up into 6.2.0 and I'll be able to pick up where I left off? I removed Network Connections and put it into Airplane Mode (trying to not get banned).

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My current firmware version is 3.0.0

1) Is it safe to install firmware updates by using NSP files using Tinfoil?
2) Is it worth to use more complicated versions of updating in order to not burn any efuses?
  1. You can't install firmware updates as .NSP files
  2. Although they aren't really that complicated, they are definitely worth using
I have recently got an unpatched switch for homebrew/backups but it's still in the box (XAW1004600xxxx). This version should be 4.0.1, or perhaps 3.0.1/3.0.2, correct? I've read a few places that there's merit to having a switch lower than 3.0.1 for an untethered coldboot exploit in the future. Is it worth to see if I can get a lower version? Has there been any progress on that exploit?
There has been no progress on any other exploits.
There was a thread created informing people that Atmosphere could run on 6.2.0 if you provided the required keys. Does anyone know why it got removed? All notifications regarding the thread also vanished from my notifications page.
Most likely because they were distributing the keys necessary to launch Atmosphere which is against the rules of GBATemp.
i was just about to ask which firmware i should put on my emuNAND and then I saw it mentioned above that 5.1 is the current best for CFW. I'll definitely go with 5.1 then as you are supremely well informed and a hero of this forum. but just so I can learn, may I ask why 5.1 is considered the best? I know it can run Devmenu which is useful if you want to delete game updates without deleting the whole game. i was thinking of using 5.1 for this feature alone, unless there is some other way to do this on 6.1

also while doing some reading I saw a post where they said that loading into sysNAND after running emuNAND caused their sdcard to be completely wiped. I'm assuming this no longer happens cause of something about there being an emutendo folder, but i just want to check first as in a perfect world I'd like to be switching back between my emuNAND and sysNAND.
DevMenu is the only tool that can do that hence why 5.1 is considered the best firmware for CFW.

Yes, the sole purpose of the Emutendo folder is to allow safe swapping between EmuNAND and SysNAND.
If I'm using Kosmos, I notice it comes with exefs patches. Is that all that I need or do I also need the kip patches from The-4n? Secondly, what are the kip patches and why would I need them versus not? Thanks! (I know they are kernel patches, but what are they patching?)
The patches the 4-n compiles are for using Fusee as the bootloader. Kosmos' patches are for using Hekate as the bootloader. In both cases, the CFW is still Atmosphere but depending on the bootloader you use, it will require different patches.

The kip patches have a plethora of functions such as enable backup launching (of titles you don't own), enable the nogc patch, and disable signature checks on unsigned .NSP files such as homebrew.
How big is SX EmuNAND suppose to be? Could the size not be the same for different users?

Mine is about 30 gb with lots of 3-4 small parts (like part 1, 2, 3, etc). I thought it was about 15 gb or so.
When EmuNAND was ran from the NAND, it was 15 GB because obviously you can't fit the entire NAND within the NAND. Now that EmuNAND runs from the SD card, it can achieve full size which is around 30 GB.
So 6.2.0 was hyped as armageddon for Switch homebrew/piracy, but now it sounds like 6.2.0 CFW isn't too far off. I just ran across a video on youtube acting like 5.0.0 was going to kill homebrew/piracy at the time but we know better now. Is this normal? Were there more firmware that were supposed to be uncrackable at the time?
Well 6.2 still has not been publicly cracked so I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.
So, I upgraded to 6.2.0 and just successfully downgraded to 6.1.0. When I am ready to upgrade again (On December 6th at 11pm :D), if I just restore my full NAND backup and all that jazz, will I boot back up into 6.2.0 and I'll be able to pick up where I left off? I removed Network Connections and put it into Airplane Mode (trying to not get banned).
If you made the NAND backup when you were on firmware 6.2, then yes. Make sure you also restore boot0/boot1 as well as the rawnand as all 3 files are needed to complete your NAND.

Reactions: OrGoN3

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ahhhhh!!! That explains that! Thank you! i was looking everywhere for this answer!

Ok, now you mention the ips patches are for many things, like sig patching. Sure, but sig patching is being done by the ES patches by Raj. So I was wondering what the KIP ips patches were for, specifically. I guess they are similar just different?

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxzelex Great! Thanks for the quick reply. Boot 0/1 and Full Raw NAND. I was hoping that is all I would need.

One thing that wasn't mentioned that you might not have thought about, your saves from your nand backup will be the saves you will have when you restore it. So you'll lose all progress on all games since the backup and if you're going legit because you don't want a ban you won't be able to restore them using checkpoint or it's a risk at least because you still have to run CFW for it.

zer01717

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all, In regards to the serial number guide on this site I noticed that in the examples given:

XAW1007800X and below are safe to buy
XAW1007900X and above not safe to buy, possibly patched
XAW1010000X and above definitely patched

they only have 1-2 0's in the middle of the number. Would devices that have 3 0's be exploitable? For example XAW1000X/XAW4000X/XAW7000X. Thanks in advance.

Also, can I be banned for just testing RCM by following this guide:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-defin...atched-or-not-purchases-after-07-2018.512018/

Last edited by zer01717,

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, In regards to the serial number guide on this site I noticed that in the examples given:

XAW1007800X and below are safe to buy
XAW1007900X and above not safe to buy, possibly patched
XAW1010000X and above definitely patched

they only have 1-2 0's in the middle of the number. Would devices that have 3 0's be exploitable? For example XAW1000X/XAW4000X/XAW7000X. Thanks in advance.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...e-first-post-before-asking-questions.481215/\

Serials beginning with XAW4:
XAW4001100X and below are safe to buy
XAW4001200X and above not not safe, possibly patched
XAW4003000X and above definitely patched

Serials beginning with XAW7:
XAW7001780X and below are safe to buy
XAW7001790X and above not safe to buy, possibly patched
XAW7003000X and above definitely patched

Edit: So let me clarify a little. If you're XAW#000###X then that is lower than XAW4001100X or XAW7001780X so yes it'll work. As it says, XAW70017 AND BELOW will work. So that includes 70001.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Welp i was gonna get smash bros but it looks like i'll have to wait the two weeks anyway because they probably won't have the cfw ready before then.
Huh? Smash works on all current CFW. Unless your console is already on 6.2, you can install and play smash bros just fine. It doesn't require 6.2.

Last edited by OrGoN3,
Reactions: zer01717

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhhhh!!! That explains that! Thank you! i was looking everywhere for this answer!

Ok, now you mention the ips patches are for many things, like sig patching. Sure, but sig patching is being done by the ES patches by Raj. So I was wondering what the KIP ips patches were for, specifically. I guess they are similar just different?
No, this is where a lot of misunderstanding arises. What people believe are "signature patches" are actually ES patches (or IPS patches if you are using Atmosphere). The real signature patches, aka fs_nosigchk, disable signature checking on unsigned .NSP files such as homebrew or .XCI converts.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, this is where a lot of misunderstanding arises. What people believe are "signature patches" are actually ES patches (or IPS patches if you are using Atmosphere). The real signature patches, aka fs_nosigchk, disable signature checking on unsigned .NSP files such as homebrew or .XCI converts.
Oh. So what are the ES patches for then? Sorry, but thanks for all the info!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh. So what are the ES patches for then? Sorry, but thanks for all the info!
ES patches stand for Eticket Services. As you might guess, you need an Eticket to launch a .NSP file. ES patches help forge fake tickets when installing .NSP files. However these fake tickets can only be launched in CFW hence why .NSP files cannot be launched in OFW.

zer01717

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...e-first-post-before-asking-questions.481215/\

Edit: So let me clarify a little. If you're XAW#000###X then that is lower than XAW4001100X or XAW7001780X so yes it'll work. As it says, XAW70017 AND BELOW will work. So that includes 70001.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Huh? Smash works on all current CFW. Unless your console is already on 6.2, you can install and play smash bros just fine. It doesn't require 6.2.

Thank you for clarifying. You da man!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa, And you too :) +1