Switch OLED. The fan is not working and joycons are not charging

heinrich_frei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Yes, if you can find it. Try reflowing it first!

I checked from the OLED switch I disassembled. I have a spare of the IC. You may contact me if you need it.
Unfortunately, the melting didn't help. It is really hard to buy this IC, I contacted the Chinese and everyone says that it is not available.

heinrich_frei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hello, in my case, the ic max8969 is still damaged, but I don't have the opportunity to buy one. So I replaced it with a simple sx1308 converter based on mt3608. After the replacement, the console works fine, but when the console shutdown, the fan turns on full. Based on the datasheet of the original chip, it had a controller that, based on the load, either turns off the power or increases it to 5.3V. How can something like this be implemented?

karatefeet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, I've done some tracing. As suspected there is indeed a ~5V supply that is used for charging the joycons and PWM on the fan. It should be really simple to fix.

See attached diagram. The square black IC on the left of the SoC is a boost regulator that pumps up the ~3.7V from the battery to 5.3V using a MAX8969EWL53+.

Please check whether the following (with battery/USB detached):
- resistance to GND between the 5.3V point near the MAX8969, should be ~3k Ohms
- continuity between 3 marked 5.3V points (capacitor near SoC, pin on fan connector, capacitor near right joycon switch), should be ~0 Ohms

If that's good, then check, with battery attached. Wait for the switch to be fully booted, else the regulator is not enabled:
- voltage on the 3.7V point marked near the MAX8969, should be around 3.7V
- voltage on the 5.3V points, should be 5.3V obviously

If there is no short on the 5.3V rails to GND but also no power, then reflow this chip. If that does not help, we must replace it.
Thanks for this as it helped me with my issue of the right joy con not connecting. A reflow of the MAX8969 appears to fix the connecting issue but I am not getting the animation or sound when connecting the joy con. Any hints on what to check? It is charging fine.

macspeed09

Trophies
XP
Country
I've installed dozens of modchip to oled and repair, I had 2 oled which suddenly lost handshake detection when docked to console Right joycon (red). 1 when i installed rp2040 and the other when i changed charging port. Do anyone have any better technique to change those ic (alj) and put solder balls on them or just dab it with melted solder and cross fingers that those pads gets even amount of blob solder on them.

I reballed permanent dat0 by the way, I would understand if i F'd up something there because behind emmc are lots of components that may affect the Right joycon handshake but the charging port replacement is mystery to me since its nowhere close to the Rjoycon components.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for this as it helped me with my issue of the right joy con not connecting. A reflow of the MAX8969 appears to fix the connecting issue but I am not getting the animation or sound when connecting the joy con. Any hints on what to check? It is charging fine.
Mine syncs via bluetooth but when docked to console it does not register as connected. It just still functions via blutooth. But when you slide it to console it does click onscreen acknowledging it but when u check on joycon setup it does not recognize its connected on the console. i've replaced the rails and everything but still the same. Replaced alj ic but still the same.

heinrich_frei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I had 2 oled which suddenly lost handshake detection when docked to console Right joycon (red).
Check these ic and resistors nearby with a joycon connector

Attachments

• IMG_20231102_084012.jpg
    IMG_20231102_084012.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20231102_084103.jpg
    IMG_20231102_084103.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 27

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I have an OLED with 0v where it's supposed to be 5.3v and the cooler and both joycons are not charging.
Upon a closer inspection I noticed the MAX8969 IC is broken... I'm out of OLED donor boards but I saw the same circuit on V2 and Lite boards.
I was wondering if I could use a V2 or Lite board IC as a replacement.

Is this the same IC on V2, Lite and OLED boards?

karatefeet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've installed dozens of modchip to oled and repair, I had 2 oled which suddenly lost handshake detection when docked to console Right joycon (red). 1 when i installed rp2040 and the other when i changed charging port. Do anyone have any better technique to change those ic (alj) and put solder balls on them or just dab it with melted solder and cross fingers that those pads gets even amount of blob solder on them.

I reballed permanent dat0 by the way, I would understand if i F'd up something there because behind emmc are lots of components that may affect the Right joycon handshake but the charging port replacement is mystery to me since its nowhere close to the Rjoycon components.

Mine syncs via bluetooth but when docked to console it does not register as connected. It just still functions via blutooth. But when you slide it to console it does click onscreen acknowledging it but when u check on joycon setup it does not recognize its connected on the console. i've replaced the rails and everything but still the same. Replaced alj ic but still the same.
Sadly, I'm still trying to figure this out. Have the exact same issue with the right joy con after reballing the eMMC for the permanent dat0 connection. All the oleds done since have not had this issue so I'm stumped. At last check, it wasn't getting the 1.8v from enable pin when the joy con is connected. This comes from the SOC afaik.
d171879d0c9f65d3c0ef1d012c96d5160a967d36_2_690x374.jpeg

some1ne

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I have an OLED with similar issues. I installed an RP2040 with enamel wires and the switch would randomly turn off, and sometimes the touch screen wouldn't work. I replaced the rp2040 with the ones with custom PCBs and flex cables from china. The switch stopped turning off but now the right joycon keeps disconnecting when attached to the rail and the soc temps are gone.
Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Last edited by some1ne,

karatefeet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sadly, I'm still trying to figure this out. Have the exact same issue with the right joy con after reballing the eMMC for the permanent dat0 connection. All the oleds done since have not had this issue so I'm stumped. At last check, it wasn't getting the 1.8v from enable pin when the joy con is connected. This comes from the SOC afaik.View attachment 404214

I’ve managed to fix my issue with the help of another forum:
Post in thread 'Switch Oled won't detect right joy-con after installing picofly'
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...after-installing-picofly.645161/post-10323984

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL