Hacking Question SX OS Games on External HDD

PEVOx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've just moved some games from my PC to my external HDD formatted in NTFS (in the root directory). When I connected my external hard drive to the Switch dock I can't see any games in the SX OS menu. Why? What can I try?

Xtwizted

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are your games in XCI or NSP format? XCI goes in the root of the folder, NSP go either in the SXOS or SWITCH folder, I am sorry I don't have my system here to double check which one.

username23bob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i could never get sx to read games from my drive either... i just figured my drive wasn’t supported. this was about a year ago tho

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
pretty sure you need a y-cable for you hard drive unless its got its own power supply. and the hard drive has to be exfat i think. the games go on the root of it which only xci files work i think.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try Exfat. I dont think NTFS is supported. Also SXOS only supports .xci loading from USB.

You tried I guess. SXOS is not NTFS compatible (right) but you can have XCI files in the SD card as well..... SXOS is only compatible with FAT32 and ExFAT.. ExFAT is unstable and causes data loss in certain scenarios so format your SD cards to FAT32. But FAT32 doesn't support files over 4GBish so you have to split them. (see next quote) The HDD doesnt seem to have a stability issue because it's pretty much read only so i use ExFAT on my HDD to avoid splitting files. No corruption yet...

For me it's Exfat, but Splitted works (xc0, xc1 etc)

This is because FAT32 can't support files over 4GB... Use XCI splitter to cut in to multiple pieces (xc0 xc1 xc2 etc etc)...

https://gbatemp.net/threads/xci-cutter-tool-windows.504818/

Are your games in XCI or NSP format? XCI goes in the root of the folder, NSP go either in the SXOS or SWITCH folder, I am sorry I don't have my system here to double check which one.

The SXOS fileDIR structure is as follows..
/sxos/updates

/sxos/dlc

/switch/updates

/switch/dlc

/sxos/games

/sxos/xci

/sxos/nsp

/sxos

/switch/games

/switch/xci

/switch/nsp

/switch

USB or SD doesn't matter. These are the folders SXOS scans.

pretty sure you need a y-cable for you hard drive unless its got its own power supply. and the hard drive has to be exfat i think. the games go on the root of it which only xci files work i think.

You may need a Y-Cable, an AC powered Hub or a AC powered HDD.. The USB standards on the Switch are not up to standard. What a piece of shit. Dammit NINTYYYYY! (KHANNN! FISTS IN THE AIR)

Last edited by mikefor20,
Reactions: PEVOx

Xtwizted

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't know if this is true, I run a 2tb hard drive direct to the Switch without having the charger hooked up to it. It works fine this way. I also tried it with a powered USB hub and there was no difference as far as hard drive reading times.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this is true, I run a 2tb hard drive direct to the Switch without having the charger hooked up to it. It works fine this way. I also tried it with a powered USB hub and there was no difference as far as hard drive reading times.
The Switch's power profile for the USB (and everything else ;P ) is fucked up. People report actually burning out the USB port rendering it useless!
I ran a 2TB WD Essentials directly off the USB port in the dock from the day USB loading was a thing until 3 months ago. I use the same drive on my PS4. I also used to go directly to the Switch with an OTG cable when out and about. Other than a few audible clicking noises no issues. That's how it goes though, no issues until there is an issue. I picked up a powered USB hub and the clicking stopped. The Switch wasn't supplying enough power. You can pick a self powered USB drive. Or a Y-Cable connected to the dock to get enough power as well..

Your drive will probably work if connected directly but it may be stressing the console. I think the Switch it too expensive to risk it but its your call.

PEVOx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You tried I guess. SXOS is not NTFS compatible (right) but you can have XCI files in the SD card as well..... SXOS is only compatible with FAT32 and ExFAT.. ExFAT is unstable and causes data loss in certain scenarios so format your SD cards to FAT32. But FAT32 doesn't support files over 4GBish so you have to split them. (see next quote) The HDD doesnt seem to have a stability issue because it's pretty much read only so i use ExFAT on my HDD to avoid splitting files. No corruption yet...

This is because FAT32 can't support files over 4GB... Use XCI splitter to cut in to multiple pieces (xc0 xc1 xc2 etc etc)...

https://gbatemp.net/threads/xci-cutter-tool-windows.504818/

The SXOS fileDIR structure is as follows..
/sxos/updates

/sxos/dlc

/switch/updates

/switch/dlc

/sxos/games

/sxos/xci

/sxos/nsp

/sxos

/switch/games

/switch/xci

/switch/nsp

/switch

USB or SD doesn't matter. These are the folders SXOS scans.

You may need a Y-Cable, an AC powered Hub or a AC powered HDD.. The USB standards on the Switch are not up to standard. What a piece of shit. Dammit NINTYYYYY! (KHANNN! FISTS IN THE AIR)

ExFAT shouldn’t be a problem for Windows, right? Because I use my HDD also for movies, photos and other files on PC...

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
NTFS is definitely the reason. Only exFAT (and most likely FAT32 as well) are supported.
Using exFAT is fine though. The issues it has on sd cards in the Switch are not really present on the HDD so go with this:
mSD: FAT32
HDD: exFAT

Reactions: PEVOx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A