Hacking SX OS - Purple Screen - New SD Card

JaosKing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have the big purple screen, and I'm at a loss on what to do. Situation:

I have a Switch on OFW 3.0.2 running SX OS 2.9.2 on a 128 GB SD card with emuNAND installed,Nintendo firmware 9.0-(?). I previously already created a SysNAND dump using Hekate before all this. I have been using my switch for almost 2 years no problems.

I had just recently received by 400 GB SD card (exact same specs and company, ScanDisk, as my 128 GB) and wanted to upgrade, so I went about the simplest approach:
1. SD Card 400 GB is exFat, as is my 128 GB.
2. Copied my Lisence.dat and 3.0.1 SX OS boot file
3. Loaded up SX OS and created a Hidden EmuNAND partition.
4. Never booted into SX OS CFW, I just turned it off after it finished.

I then went back and loaded up my 128 GB SD, SX OS 2.9.2 (emuNAND enabled), to make copies of my game saves using CheckPoint, obviously booting into SX OS fine.

I then tried to load SX OS 3.1.0 - emuNAND enabled, from my 400 GB SD card and got the purple screen. I tried GPT repair in the SX OS menu, and that still did not solve my issue. I could boot into OFW Nintendo without SX OS, but if I tried to boot into CFW or OFW through SX OS I got a purple screen. My other 128 GB SD Card can boot into SX OS CFW fine and load games.

I'm not sure what to do. I am currently again creating an emuNAND on the 400 GB SD card as I type this but doubt it will solve my problem.

Any ideas?

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FIRST Format new SD to FAT32. Use GUI-Format!
https://gbatemp.net/download/gui-format.33869/

ExFAT can become corrupted. USE FAT32
Trust me. Anyone who knows will say the same. GUI-Format will get the cluster correct as well.

The do the following:
  1. Backup ENTIRE contents of the Original SD (SOURCE SD) to PC.
  2. On the New Freshly Fat32 SD (DESTINATION SD) Create new EmuNand in SXOS Boot menu (Hold VOL + at boot, as you know)
  3. Backup EmuNAND from SOURCE SD to your PC. I have 2 tools I like to use..
    • EMU TOOL Its Nice with a good GUI. Better of the two IMHO
    • Or you can use SX OS EMUNAND BACKUP TOOL TX used to recommend this one.. it looks like it is freezing but it is working. Takes a while..Just wait. First link is better though..
  4. COPY EmuNAND backup from SOURCE SD to DESTINATION SD
  5. RESTORE EmuNAND backup (from step 3) to DESTINATION SD Using EMU TOOL overwriting the blank EmuNAND (that you created in step 2)
  6. COPY SOURCE SD files backup (from step 1) to DESTINATION SD
That's the standard. Your files, saves and everything else will work. you don't need to do anything else. Put it in the console, boot SXOS and enjoy!

Last edited by mikefor20,
Reactions: JaosKing

JaosKing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Just seems wild to believe the same method of getting SX OS CFW working on my 128 SD GB, all of a sudden gives me a 'rare' type error on my 400 GB SD (New).

Reactions: mikefor20

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Just seems wild to believe the same method of getting SX OS CFW working on my 128 SD GB, all of a sudden gives me a 'rare' type error on my 400 GB SD (New).

Truth be told it's a GPT error or bad EmuNAND or corruption due to ExFAT.. There is other shoddy ways to maybe ,probably, fix it. The way I posted will get you all your data including installed games and saves and profiles as well as your EmuNAND intact over to the new card and get you away from ExFAT.. Only thing is Fat32 cant handle files bigger than 4gb.. So you SPLIT THEM!... SX will do this automatically and so will any thing installed by tinfoil, just when you copy XCI files to SD use this first to spit them,,

https://github.com/NuVanDibe/XCI-to-Split-NSP/

Otherwise business as usual. ExFAT really does cause issues on your internal SD... Your USB drives are fine in ExFAT and can stay as is..

Also if I were you.. I would update that EmuNAND so you can play the new games.

Don't go all the way to 11.0.1 though. SXOS doesn't support 11.0.1 at the moment.

No need for it though as all games run on 11.0.0 and below.. So install 11.0.0... there is many tutorials.. I do it this way

1. Get the firmware files Google is your friend.
  2. Put firmware files, unzipped in to a folder named Firmware on your SD root.
  3. Install Atmosphere (get it using this https://www.sdsetup.com/) Use Recommended Defaults
  4. Boot in to Atmosphere (EmuMMC) Make sure you are in EmuMMC not SysNAND (All your EmuNAND TITLES WILL BE THERE)
  5. Run Homebrew Menu (Hold L on Album I think Maybe R??!? LOL)
  6. Run "Daybreak"
  7. Point it to your firmware files... Make sure you select ExFAT though..
That's it. You'll be on a high enough firmware to run anything released up to now.. With your SysNAND still at 3.0.1 (you can use PegaSwitch)

JaosKing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Truth be told it's a GPT error or bad EmuNAND or corruption due to ExFAT.. There is other shoddy ways to maybe ,probably, fix it. The way I posted will get you all your data including installed games and saves and profiles as well as your EmuNAND intact over to the new card and get you away from ExFAT.. Only thing is Fat32 cant handle files bigger than 4gb.. So you SPLIT THEM!... SX will do this automatically and so will any thing installed by tinfoil, just when you copy XCI files to SD use this first to spit them,,

Otherwise business as usual. ExFAT really does cause issues on your internal SD... Your USB drives are fine in ExFAT and can stay as is..

Also if I were you.. I would update that EmuNAND so you can play the new games. Don't go all the way to 11.0.1 though. SXOS doesn't support 11.0.1 at the moment. No need for it though as all games run on 11.0.0 and below.. So install 11.0.0... there is many tutorials.. I do it this way

1. Get the firmware files Google is your friend.
  2. Put firmware files, unzipped in to a folder named Firmware on your SD root.
  3. Install Atmosphere (get it using this.......) Use Recommended Defaults
  4. Boot in to Atmosphere (EmuMMC) and run Homebrew Menu (Hold R on Album I think)
  5. Run "Daybreak"
  6. Point it to your firmware files... Make sure you select ExFAT though..
That's it. You'll be on a high enough firmware to run anything released up to now.. With your SysNAND still at 3.0.1 (you can use PegaSwitch)
Cheers appreciate it.

Newbie question. I formatted my SD Card to Fat32 (left allocation size as 32) using the tool you linked me. My SD card is saying I have 337 GB free space. Does formatting the SD Card delete the hidden partition? I'm guessing not, but it should be fine though? Because I'm going back into SX OS with my formatted SD Card and Creating a Hidden EmuNand parition again. So all is good on that front?

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think GUI format deletes the hidden partition.. but it might. Recreating it is ok. You have to have an empty EmuNAND present to restore the backup though. So make it. Emu tool can help too.

Oh i forgot. Atmosphere wont see the SXOS EmuNAND unless you make a configuration file... hold on.

Make a folder on the root of your SD called "emummc"

In that folder make an ini file named emummc.ini (text editor) put the following inside it..

Code:
[emummc]
enabled = 1
sector = 0x2
nintendo_path = Emutendo

With that file in the emummc directory Atmosphere will see your SXOS EmuNAND.. that's as far as you need to go just to update that EmuNAND.

However if you get Sigpatches (google it, not sure legality) you can run your installed games in Atmosphere as well.. Atmosphere doesn't load straight XCI files off of SD/USB drive though. So use SXOS for that... You can install XCI files just like NSP though and atmo will work fine.

Note: IF you used SXOS internal installer (in the album) Atmosphere will not play the installed titles. SXOS still works so use it. Atmosphere will play them fine if you installed them using other methods like Tinfoil, Jits , Goldleaf Etc.etc.Also SXOS may never see an update, so you could leave SXOS on your old card and start from scratch with Atmo on your new one..Food for thought.

Oh crap. This is the tutorials section.... ill let a mod know

JaosKing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FIRST Format new SD to FAT32. Use GUI-Format!

ExFAT can become corrupted. USE FAT32
Trust me. Anyone who knows will say the same. GUI-Format will get the cluster correct as well.

The do the following:
  1. Backup ENTIRE contents of the Original SD (SOURCE SD) to PC.
  2. On the New Freshly Fat32 SD (DESTINATION SD) Create new EmuNand in SXOS Boot menu (Hold VOL + at boot, as you know)
  3. Backup EmuNAND from SOURCE SD to your PC. I have 2 tools I like to use..
    • EMU TOOL -... Its Nice with a good GUI. Better of the two IMHO
    • Or you can use SXOS HIDDEN EMUNAND BACKUP TOOL - ... TX used to recommend this one.. it looks like it is freezing but it is working. Takes a while..Just wait. First link is better though..
  4. COPY EmuNAND backup from SOURCE SD to DESTINATION SD
  5. RESTORE EmuNAND backup (from step 3) to DESTINATION SD Using EMU TOOL overwriting the blank EmuNAND (that you created in step 2)
  6. COPY SOURCE SD files backup (from step 1) to DESTINATION SD
That's the standard. Your files, saves and everything else will work. you don't need to do anything else. Put it in the console, boot SXOS and enjoy!
Hey man.

I followed this tutorial and got it all working!

Once I formatted my SD 400 GB card to Fat32, and re-created the emuNand, I tried to load SX OS again and got the Purple screen. I honestly thought why bother following the rest of the tutorial.

I did though, copied my the contents from the original 128 GB SD card to my 400 GB using emuTools, and copying the emunintendo folder over.

Loaded up SX OS, was able to instantly get into SX OS Emunan 3.1.0. I did just go the other route of updating my firmware up to 11.0.0 through ChoiDX.

Honestly this was all so I could play Dragonquest 11 S. Was able to get on and start playing again.

You are a legend!

Last edited by JaosKing,
Reactions: mikefor20

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad it worked. Choi is considered risky these days. be careful. And keep a backup of that EmuNAND. If you somehow get updated to 11.0.1 it will be the only way to get SXOS functionality back. without installing atmosphere and downgrading...

Cheers

Succat

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't understand Step 4. How can I copy such a big file (bigger than 4gb) to the destination SD with Fat32?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: j