Hacking Question SXOS or no?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because they used unreleased code from Atmosphère that was uploaded to GitHub

Recently TX released an update before atmosphere had even done that. I'm not saying they haven't used Atmosphere code, but they seem capable of extracting keys without using sept or waiting for SciresM.

SX OS only has a market still because they have code that nobody is prepared to write for atmosphere.

Coathanger08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But we all know these cunts pirate, they just hate sx os because they have to pay in order to not pay for games.
what? lol. You do know that the money they make at sxos doesnt go to the games devs right? And sx os only has hdd support over atmos...and who cares just get a 500gig sdcard.

Chill out dude.

deSSy2724

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But this whole "stealing" thing is so boring and pointless. For Nintendo, Atmosphere is no exception because they copied the whole soldered NAND and made their "own version" without any permisson from Nintendo obiviously and we all know that Nintendo is strictly against it like any (almost any) other hardware manufacturer, and now is someone complaining who is stealing from who, WTF? Does it really matter, honestly?

And you know what? The only way to stop Team Executor to earn money for CFW (which is meant to be free in our "grey mindsets", right?) is in fact to actually release the damn .xci loader for Atmosphere and Atmosphere devs know this very well, yet everyone (community as a whole) is complaining all the time how they not only pirating games but actually earning money from it, and no one does something about it. Im not saying Atmosphere devs are the ones who should do it and I dont encourage them in any way to do it..... I understand it to some descent, they are public and its copyrighted (cartridge emulator/loader) and the NAND as well, isnt it? And yet, no one else is doing anything to stop TX, but lets trash the SX OS team all the time anyway.... isnt it ironic?

Last edited by deSSy2724,

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@smf you know TX has hard implemented the keys to boot 7.x and up? used Nintendo keys which is illegal because they have it in plain text in the boot.dat
there is a reason why sept exists it extracts the keys on boot and uses em to boot ...sx os reads em from boot.dat. so first inform yourself ...and i use sx iam no fanboy

Last edited by Purple_Heart,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are people so toxic when it comes to CFW. Reminds me of the PS3 scene all of again.
The PS3 scene was a little more mature. The only time we had such a debate on cfw is when we had the True Blue dongle. TB was more comparable to the Gateway 3DS in every way more than sxos. At the time it was the only way to play newer games while those using kmeaw 3.55 were stuck playing older games or had to use patches to spoof firmware support so in a way 3.55 kmeaw was the Atmosphere of the PS3 scene. Once TB died out due to newer cfw updates and cloned TB dongles causing ps3 deaths the scene was pretty much at peace. Ppl can keep hating or fighting over sxos all they want but aslong it has a purpose its not going away anytime soon. TB & Gateway both lost their purpose not just their support.

deSSy2724

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The PS3 scene was a little more mature. The only time we had such a debate on cfw is when we had the True Blue dongle. TB was more comparable to the Gateway 3DS in every way more than sxos. At the time it was the only way to play newer games while those using kmeaw 3.55 were stuck playing older games or had to use patches to spoof firmware support so in a way 3.55 kmeaw was the Atmosphere of the PS3 scene. Once TB died out due to newer cfw updates and cloned TB dongles causing ps3 deaths the scene was pretty much at peace. Ppl can keep hating or fighting over sxos all they want but aslong it has a purpose its not going away anytime soon. TB & Gateway both lost their purpose not just their support.
Gateway emunand is still compatible with the latest 3DS firmware to this date but not trough the "official way" from Gateway which abandoned its users but there are workarounds and you cant be banned (online still working). And considering NO INTRO is using scene files, it did not lost its purpose.....

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway emunand is still compatible with the latest 3DS firmware to this date but not trough the "official way" from Gateway which abandoned its users but there are workarounds and you cant be banned (online still working). And considering NO INTRO is using scene files, it did not lost its purpose.....
But you don't need Emunand through Gateway is where my point falls on. Everything you can do from pure hacking a 3ds just makes gateway pointless. Only reason ppl still use it is b/c they don't want to try something else that pinpoints their needs already. You could say the same for sxos, but its xci support is what keeps its true purpose alive

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
used Nintendo keys which is illegal because they have it in plain text in the boot.dat
there is a reason why sept exists it extracts the keys on boot and uses em to boot

I'll let you into a secret that the mods here don't want you to know.

Keys cannot be copyrighted. They are just numbers and have no artistic merit, therefore no copyright protection is given.

That is why in the US the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) was passed and in the EU the EUCD (European Union Copyright Directive) was passed. These make it illegal to distribute software or information that allows you to bypass DRM. This information could be actual numbers, or methods to gain the numbers without permission.

You could argue that the keys eventually allow you to bypass DRM which makes them so called illegal numbers, but then sept would be illegal too (and possibly fusee gelee). Nintendo sent lawyers to the high court in the UK and they successfully argued that SX OS was a circumvention device. It's difficult to say for sure whether they would consider atmosphere a circumvention device, because it arguably requires separate patches to circumvent (which ironically are hosted here).

SX OS supposedly includes some hacked binaries from the switch firmware for XCI loading, this would be a copyright infringement. They could probably extract it at run time and apply a patch, but I suspect they didn't bother because SX OS is basically illegal to sell in major western countries already anyway (just not because of a copyright number).

The reason sept exists is different, it's because SciresM doesn't want to burn any other exploits and he doesn't publish keys because he doesn't want TX to be able to just take them. This is why sept displays a splash screen, so it would be obvious if TX took it & he won't publish the signing key that allows you to build sept and run it without that splash screen. There have been "bring your own key" versions of atmosphere where you used keys you found on the internet, but TX could also find them & so that was stopped too.

TX therefore have to use their own exploit to get the keys, which they also don't want to burn, so they include the keys in SX OS. It's kinda weird that at one point the mods allowed SX OS to be posted here and then didn't when they found out the keys were included, when the main issue with them (DMCA/EUCD violation) has been there since the beginning and the mods allow files that violate the DMCA/EUCD

There is also the violation of atmosphere copyright code due to not abiding by the license, but that seems to have always been ignored.

Last edited by smf,

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Ah yeah I remember the ps3 drama scene between the kmeaw users vs true blue users. Quite similar what's happening with ams and sx os users, only difference is that kmeaw users were stuck in fw 3.55 for a long time and can't play games with higher fw reqs.

Reactions: MasterJ360

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main point remains...... for Nintendo, they dont give a crap if you just homebrew non-commercial stuff, pirate, run cfw, exploit their system in any way etc. To them we are all pirates, hackers or whatever........ heck, for them the whole github repository is a bunch of crackers/hackers/"stealers" (how they like to describe it). Atmos without .xci support, with or without sigpatches or not, it just doesnt matter...... for them, you are in no way different to SX OS users.

Not that I understand them..... its actually hilarious, they are banning people with only Atmosphere installed (those who dont pirate/cheat) and on top of it, hell even pirates buy games sometimes but I guess, they dont want our mone (and at the same time, whining for money all the time).

BTW Im remembering the same excuses with the 3DS scene back in the day..... Gateway was actually first, others were trying to reverse engineer it.
I'm...not sure what your point is. Nothing you said has anything to do with what I said.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Another un educated twat.

Gateway exploit, nintendo patched and it continued to try bring support until it became too complicated for end users.

The switch exploit will and always will work on pre patched consoles, exactly same reason why no cunt has released any exploit so far for models thats patched.

Xecuter will always work, xecuter are the ones that made the first exploit that free cfw users use.

Sx os has had bugs but again its because they give you everything, atmos you have to wait for each developer to update and add support.

Sx os adds far more features without relying on anyone else.

The rest of your dribble is full of shit, in SX OS you dont even need to remove your sd, you can transfer anything with its built in ftp, install if needed and delete.

So what cum are you dribbling lad.

I use both sx os and atmos and sx os wins hands down

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

People who claim piracy is a joke, atmos bypasses all security to run and install pirated software.

There is no actual legit reason for any cfw, dickheads use we dont pirate shit as a bullshit lie.

There is no need for cfwif your a "legit" user.

But we all know these cunts pirate, they just hate sx os because they have to pay in order to not pay for games.
Fuck off with your personal attacks. Your statements aren't even correct. People *did* release an exploit for patched consoles, it's called Caffeine. Do your research before you talk shit.

"Xecuter will always work" assumes they keep updating it. In case you haven't noticed, every single firmware update breaks CFW compatibility. And do you really expect TX to continue updating it once they're no longer making much money from it? Do you really expect it to fare any better than Gateway 3DS did when in all likelihood it's the same people behind Gateway, Stargate and SX OS, considering that the StargateNX domain seems to be owned by the same people as the Stargate and Gateway 3DS domains? If so, you must be really dumb. Honestly, your post is so stupid and ignorant, I'm not sure if you're retarded or trolling. Open your eyes, these companies don't care about you, all they care about is your money.

Sure, use FTP and enjoy slower transfer speeds than you get when installing a NSP over USB. Because that is somehow a good thing? Or did you not think that part through? It wouldn't surprise me considering your post seems to be more about attacking me than actually disproving my statements.

Go back to sleep. You clearly didn't get enough of it.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuck off with your personal attacks. Your statements aren't even correct. People *did* release an exploit for patched consoles, it's called Caffeine. Do your research before you talk shit.

"Xecuter will always work" assumes they keep updating it. In case you haven't noticed, every single firmware update breaks CFW compatibility. And do you really expect TX to continue updating it once they're no longer making much money from it? Do you really expect it to fare any better than Gateway 3DS did when in all likelihood it's the same people behind Gateway, Stargate and SX OS, considering that the StargateNX domain seems to be owned by the same people as the Stargate and Gateway 3DS domains? If so, you must be really dumb. Honestly, your post is so stupid and ignorant, I'm not sure if you're retarded or trolling. Open your eyes, these companies don't care about you, all they care about is your money.

Sure, use FTP and enjoy slower transfer speeds than you get when installing a NSP over USB. Because that is somehow a good thing? Or did you not think that part through? It wouldn't surprise me considering your post seems to be more about attacking me than actually disproving my statements.

Go back to sleep. You clearly didn't get enough of it.
All i will add to your utter tx bs hate.

You talk about sales, money, support, make an ass of yourself with other bs that in fact not an issue for me, ftp is your connection not tx, i get minimum 5mbps transfer to my switch.

Yet again i wouldnt be a retard to upload a 16gb file when its always going to be faster copying to sd or another point, i can copy to usb, install with no issue, you should look at improving your network and get better usb devices with faster read/write speeds.

And back to sales, you mention gateway.

Gateway was not solely blocked by a firmware, its actual exploit was blocked and it simply was no longer user friendly to keep trying alternative exploits to run the card.

Unlike gateway, the switch exploit can not be patched on systems compatible, its exploit had to be a hardware change to block it.

The only way cfw can be semi blocked on these models is by changing the keys, which as soon as its released, they keys are found and added.

And yes it will obviously come that time when sales stop, no interest anymore that support will eventually die off.

What fucking idiot will sit there and think otherwise, fyi, even game devs fuck you over when they kill off services, so how is it any different.

Did you seem to think tx should be the only people in the world to continue supporting a dead product years after it stops selling.

Its likely theyll keep supporting it however long theirs demand for it.

So mayne y'all should stop bitching about a product that is superior, just because you have to pay for it, some dont mind, yet others who refuse to pay for games clearly wont pay for tx when they can get cfw free.

Ohh commence the i dont pirate excuse pmsl.

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lol, imagine paying for a CFW that is always playing catch-up and thinking it's superior. :rofl2:
(And fumbles with broken beta updates all the while)

I only update when i need to, no point in updating if the l8st games work so for me any problem with catch-up updates or broken beta updates doesn't exist. But for me Sx is superior than Atmos because it supports XCI files and usb loading, If Atmos was superior then why are people still using SX :)

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Atmos was superior then why are people still using SX :)
That's the kicker, there isn't a superior CFW.
SX/Atmos/ReiNX all have pros and cons and everyone has a different use-case.
Regardless of that, people will argue until the end of days that their solution is better.

It's all pretty funny to me. :rofl2:

Reactions: JoeBloggs777

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's the kicker, there isn't a superior CFW.
SX/Atmos/ReiNX all have pros and cons and everyone has a different use-case.
Regardless of that, people will argue until the end of days that their solution is better.

It's all pretty funny to me. :rofl2:

that is true, it all depends on what's best for you. if you like to tinker with your switch and mods then Atmos might be better for you, if you just want to play games probably SX is.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
All i will add to your utter tx bs hate.

You talk about sales, money, support, make an ass of yourself with other bs that in fact not an issue for me, ftp is your connection not tx, i get minimum 5mbps transfer to my switch.

Yet again i wouldnt be a retard to upload a 16gb file when its always going to be faster copying to sd or another point, i can copy to usb, install with no issue, you should look at improving your network and get better usb devices with faster read/write speeds.

And back to sales, you mention gateway.

Gateway was not solely blocked by a firmware, its actual exploit was blocked and it simply was no longer user friendly to keep trying alternative exploits to run the card.

Unlike gateway, the switch exploit can not be patched on systems compatible, its exploit had to be a hardware change to block it.

The only way cfw can be semi blocked on these models is by changing the keys, which as soon as its released, they keys are found and added.

And yes it will obviously come that time when sales stop, no interest anymore that support will eventually die off.

What fucking idiot will sit there and think otherwise, fyi, even game devs fuck you over when they kill off services, so how is it any different.

Did you seem to think tx should be the only people in the world to continue supporting a dead product years after it stops selling.

Its likely theyll keep supporting it however long theirs demand for it.

So mayne y'all should stop bitching about a product that is superior, just because you have to pay for it, some dont mind, yet others who refuse to pay for games clearly wont pay for tx when they can get cfw free.

Ohh commence the i dont pirate excuse pmsl.
I get 30MB/s when installing NSPs over USB. What was that about 5mbps? :rolleyes:
FTP has nothing to do with my connection, it's not going over the internet. It has everything to do with the limited speed of the wifi chipset in the Switch. It's simply nowhere near as fast as a wired connection, and there's nothing anyone can do to change that.

How is copying it to USB only to copy it again to the SD any better or faster than using NSPs, which is a one step process?

Gateway updated their launcher to support A9LH ("fast boot") which was never patched, so again, you don't know what you're talking about and you'd be better not saying anything than making yourself look like an idiot by talking like you know everything when your statements aren't even true.

My point is that CFW doesn't need to be blocked, if TX simply stops updating because people are no longer buying their stuff. It will be useless the moment they stop updating it, and people will have to rely on workarounds like frankenfirm to keep using an aging CFW for no benefit. And that is if frankenfirm is even possible on the Switch. We went through this already with the 3DS, it didn't end well, no one defends Gateway anymore and everyone has moved on. And the same thing will likely happen to TX sooner rather than later. As soon as a free alternative comes around that can do almost the same things, it doesn't matter if SX OS has one or two features that CFW doesn't, people will stop buying it. And that has been happening for a while already. Pirates are cheap, they don't want to pay for anything.

And chances are, demand is already getting low. Gateway didn't die right away once free CFW got emuNAND and support for running the latest firmware, but it never received any major updates after that, and all the things we were promised never came to fruition. Which meant that even though it kept getting updates to support new FW for a while, it was still lagging more and more behind free options, resulting in even less demand. I was a Gateway user throughout all this, I got to experience it firsthand, something I don't think you did, otherwise you would know what I'm talking about and you wouldn't be defending SX OS as if you get paid every time you mention it.

You forget that while SX OS has XCI loading, it has very little else that isn't already in free CFW and there are features in free CFW that SX OS doesn't have - like support for various sysmodules to enhance the functionality of the CFW (the basic support that is there doesn't work with most), reboot2payload, and error handling.
It also receives updates much slower than Atmosphere.

For those that need XCI support - sure, SX OS is superior. But for everyone else, Atmosphere is the clearly superior choice. Neither is objectively better than the other, it's all a matter of what's most important to people.

I had to go through the hassle of converting all my .3DS roms to CIAs, and let me tell you, it was a pain in the ass. For that reason, I don't find it worth using XCIs, knowing that sooner or later they will be useless and I would just be putting off converting them to NSPs and creating more work for myself later. That's my choice, and others might disagree with me, but at least I can explain to people the reasons for and against each and let them make the choice. The way you're shilling SX OS, you're making it sound like the only choice and that everything else is shit -- which simply isn't the case. And the way you're defending it makes you look bad. You sound like a 12yo living in his parents' basement.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
He has been doing that since forever. If i recall correctly he was defending brickway just as hard as he is defending SX now. Not worth spending your time arguing against brainwashed fanboys who feel the need to defend their purchase no matter what.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/cooler-master-had-multi-coloured-ai-cryofuze-5-thermal... +1