ROM Hack Suggestion Tales of Vesperia voice acting patch

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 4,343
  • Replies 4
D

Deleted User

OP
One of the issues with the western release of Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition is the inconsistent voice acting. The scenes which are not included in the Xbox 360 release are voiced by a different cast and you can notice the difference. There are also a few typos in the script.

Releasing a patch to fix the typos should be easy if the script is not compressed.

Fixing the voice acting is more tricky but provided the audio track is not compressed it should be a hundred times easier than many would assume. Technology to imitate the voices of others already exists. My suggestion is we extract the dialogue audio from a scene present in the Xbox 360 release and use it as the input for voice imitation technology. To the average end user this artificial voice acting will sound indistinguishable to the real Troy Baker.

My biggest concern here is that a patch for this cannot be released due to legal issues. Voice actors may hold some sort of copyright over their voice and distributing the game's script in audio form could count as copyright infringement if more than 10% of the script is included. This leads me to believe that instead of distributing a patch, instructions on how to create the audio tracks and inject them into the game yourself would have to be distributed.

EDIT:

I did some research on voice imitation technology and while this suggestion sounds good on paper it's not possible yet.

So far the only voice imitation software available is Lyrebird. Adobe VoCo does exist but is not publically available yet. You cannot download Lyrebird, only use the online app. To do this you sign up for an account then the webpage will display a sentence for you to read. Unless each character says this exact sentence in the Xbox 360 version (hint: they don't) then this software is currently unusable for this application. There is also the legal issue of uploading data extracted from copyrighted software. In the future it will be possible to make this patch but at this point in time the furthest we can get is learning how to extract dialogue, inject custom dialogue into the ROM and document the process.

Last edited by ,

WindowTree

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God a voice acting patch would be incredible for this game. I can't even enjoy the English version of the game anymore cause of the constant ridiculous shifts in voice acting. It's to the point that I wouldn't even mind a patch that just mutes the newer voice lines altogether.

bajol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
With recent improvements in AI this is totally possible. We would need to train the AI with the voice samples from the x360 version, and use it to filter the new ones. It just takes someone with right skills to do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1