Homebrew Technically we have one thing regarding HB on 5.5.2

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,976
  • Replies 43
D

Deleted User

OP
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of getting a game supported by Haxchi, replacing the files like usual, but then repacking the game to then be installed on usb with wupinstaller.
My idea here requires 2 systems, one modded and one not, and having bought the game you are using for Haxchi on the target system.

This assumes that games installed onto usb are usable by any system like i've read though, so I might be spouting nonsense here.
It's not a disc release and console checks if .tik matches the console so it's kinda impossible to do that.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't there a way to semi-coldboot into vWii? Couldn't we somehow change the boot path from loading the vWii into loading a CFW payload instead?

D

Deleted User

OP
Wasn't there a way to semi-coldboot into vWii? Couldn't we somehow change the boot path from loading the vWii into loading a CFW payload instead?
That would require kexploit to let it overwrite it and browserhax is gone in 5.2.2

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of getting a game supported by Haxchi, replacing the files like usual, but then repacking the game to then be installed on usb with wupinstaller.
My idea here requires 2 systems, one modded and one not, and having bought the game you are using for Haxchi on the target system.

This assumes that games installed onto usb are usable by any system like i've read though, so I might be spouting nonsense here.
The usb device you use is locked to the console it was first plugged into if you insert it into a different wiiu you get a message saying the USB device needs to be formated. Nintendo done that to stop people from selling USB storage devices that are full of pirated games to others.

Last edited by AmandaRose,
D

Deleted User

OP
The usb device you use is locked to the console it was first plugged into if you insert it into a different wiiu you get a message saying the USB device needs to be formated. Nintendo done that to stop people from selling USB storage devices that are full of pirated games to others.
yep so glad I got that right. But again would it be possible to mount a usb with a hackable ds vc? (course its not going to be THAT easy.)

Last edited by ,

HugaTheFox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't homebrew itself load into the mii maker? What if we can add a exploitable mii. Considering it also uses the sd (For qr codes) and it can receive miis through a Hacked 3DS, modded vWii, or a QR code.

D

Deleted User

OP
Doesn't homebrew itself load into the mii maker? What if we can add a exploitable mii. Considering it also uses the sd (For qr codes) and it can receive miis through a Hacked 3DS, modded vWii, or a QR code.
I find that unlikely, and doesn't exactly load into mii maker. It replaces in memory of mii maker. so....

LordOrwell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe we could completly rewrite vwii to be a way to launch code at boot, or launch a cfw, because if we hold b at boot it launches vwii, so it would be like 3ds with a9lh and sysnand
i didn't know that!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

they aren't. The wii u encrypts the drive.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
God, soldering might be an idea, or connecting a hdd? Since it nags for a format everytime. Maybe a diy burned disc, since the wiiu nags the disc is'nt a wiiu disc in the drive it must be reading it right??? Acces at the level you say is not hacking or using vulnerabilities at all.
It will not work. No way to get the wiiu crash in any of these methods.

There are only a few vulnerabilties theoretically to get the Wiiu crash and insert code. maybe there aren't more and Nintendo actually delivered a solid system , besides the browser.
I think the disc is rejected by the drive, and there's probably no way to exploit the console through the drive before the disc is rejected. Even if there was, Wii U is using a modded bluray and it is most likely completely unable to read regular blurays (Nintendo weren't willing to pay the bluray licensing fees)
I was hoping you were wrong, but I was not able to find any other physical game that uses the SD card.
Does it matter if it's a physical game?
Wii Karaoke U, Mii Maker and Art Academy Atelier all have SD card access, 2 of them are even free. There may be more but those are the ones Loadiine supports. One of those might be a good target for exploits if Smash Bros isn't exploitable.
I shouldn't have been so hostile, it's just I've been around the block and when I was younger I had the same ideas and theories and all of that. This kind of stuff just drives me up a wall when someone who writes a Wii U hacking guide and I expect to understand how it's security system works makes "idea" threads like this - it just shows complete ignorance to how any of this works in practice. You really think no one has tried that avenue already?
Actually I'm not so sure anyone has looked into exploiting Smash Bros because for most of the Wii U's life it had zero developer interest and zero homebrew for it, even long after the first WebKit exploit was made public, plus we have had WebKit exploits ever since, so there hasn't been much reason to look into other entrypoints.

D

Deleted User

OP
I think the disc is rejected by the drive, and there's probably no way to exploit the console through the drive before the disc is rejected. Even if there was, Wii U is using a modded bluray and it is most likely completely unable to read regular blurays (Nintendo weren't willing to pay the bluray licensing fees)
I wonder if a Developer CAT-WRITER would work here :3

Also, if you want to get USB HDD hacks, please do think again: as referenced in http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Hardware/OTP (You know, the OTP, the thing you need full IOSU for?)
At 0x130 - "Key to encrypt/decrypt seeds for USB storage keys"

EDIT: Advantages of disc over digital:
  • No eShop takedowns
  • More clearer version ID (it says on the disc)
  • Updates don't have to be installed, just put your Wii U offline

Reactions: CuriousTommy

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if a Developer CAT-WRITER would work here :3

Also, if you want to get USB HDD hacks, please do think again: as referenced in http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Hardware/OTP (You know, the OTP, the thing you need full IOSU for?)
At 0x130 - "Key to encrypt/decrypt seeds for USB storage keys"

EDIT: Advantages of disc over digital:
  • No eShop takedowns
  • More clearer version ID (it says on the disc)
  • Updates don't have to be installed, just put your Wii U offline
Why would you not want game updates? There are reasons not to, yes - but in general this seems counterproductive.
EDIT: misread the context. You could go offline anyway though?

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
Why would you not want game updates? There are reasons not to, yes - but in general this seems counterproductive.
EDIT: misread the context. You could go offline anyway though?
Some games (like BOTW) can be downloaded from the eShop saying "You have to have update x". This is less likely with discs.

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
Please stop with all these new threads with new theories.... just do a general one.

And yeah, sm4sh has libpng that has really a lot of vulns, but screenshots are in JPEG, loaded with a custom jpeg lib or libjpeg-turbo (which has like only 2 bugs) so... not a really intersting entrypoint

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...