Hacking TempGBA: NDSGBA revival

Do GBA games make your nono parts happy?

• Total voters

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Undead Squirrel, you really should read through this thread, most of your questions have been answered in one form or another already.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TempGBA beta 7, the PokéGBA Edition, is released. It has the following improvements:
* Hotkeys for fast-forwarding (while held) and muting (toggle) during a game.
* Fixes a bug whereby a frame is rendered out-of-order when automatic frameskip increases or fast-forwarding starts or ends.

** This release modifies many files in the install. Please install it anew, including the TEMPGBA system directory. **

This version is an homage to Pokémon games, which tremendously helped the sales of the GBA. It was made lovingly in recongition of all of its fans worldwide.

Starting with this version, I will work hard on making Pokémon games work better, screw the other games!

tofast4u

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TempGBA beta 7, the PokéGBA Edition, is released. It has the following improvements:
* Hotkeys for fast-forwarding (while held) and muting (toggle) during a game.
* Fixes a bug whereby a frame is rendered out-of-order when automatic frameskip increases or fast-forwarding starts or ends.

** This release modifies many files in the install. Please install it anew, including the TEMPGBA system directory. **

This version is an homage to Pokémon games, which tremendously helped the sales of the GBA. It was made lovingly in recongition of all of its fans worldwide.

Starting with this version, I will work hard on making Pokémon games work better, screw the other games!
Didn't all the Pokemon games work perfectly fine even on 1.21 of the emulator?

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Didn't all the Pokemon games work perfectly fine even on 1.21 of the emulator?
They appear to run fine, but in fact they run at 20 FPS, their sound isn't the same as on a GBA, they crackle a lot, and if you set the CPU clock to its lowest speed in order to try to save power, and then you enter a battle, the transition screen sounds like a badly buffering YouTube video.

I firmly believe that, by fixing these issues for Pokémon games, the core will be inherently better... and maybe it could run those other games better, but my main focus is now on Pokémon games. Screw the others! Pokémon is the best!

justinwebb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whenever I try to load this I get the message saying some icons are missing, I have the correct 3 files in the dstwo plugin folder and TEMPGBA in the root and the gba_bios in the tempgba folder

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
whenever I try to load this I get the message saying some icons are missing, I have the correct 3 files in the dstwo plugin folder and TEMPGBA in the root and the gba_bios in the tempgba folder
That's a mistake of mine with some file references. As of this post, there were 14 downloads, and I've deleted and re-uploaded beta 7 to fix the bug instead of posting another version.

Edit: TempGBA has been featured in a new Chinese Forum thread: http://bbs.supercard.sc/thread-45511-1-1.html

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, that one, and I thought there was another unofficial mod of the DSTwo NDSGBA....?

Well it has full button remapping (so you can set y=b and b=a like many people prefer) as well as several bugfixes. Of course, the updates may have broken other things as it is in heavy development. There was NDSGBA 1.30 which fixed a couple of obscure Japanese games but broke game_config.txt which is required for some games to run correctly or at all.

P

pasc

Quick heads up:

- Rockman/Megaman Zero 2 still has the garbled up graphic (just play the game and start a new game.... you will see)
- Smashing Drive is till slow a$$ during actual gameplay.
- Payback: not working either

Except for those: I'm impressed !
Keep going

Till we arrive at the multiplayer support level ! (not sure if I'm kidding... I would want it if it was possible... also the DS Wireless is actually usable, even thought the RSA hasn't been hacked yet)

lpchaim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey Nebuleon, I was wondering if immediate saving to sd could be implemented as a toggle. I ask this because I remember gpsp kai having either this or the current method as options, so I figured it would be at least partially on the codebase already.
I understand that may not be your priority but it would make me much more comfortable with the emulator, being the save paranoid that I am! Maybe even a manual save to sd button or mappable shortcut? Currently it saves to sd only when exiting or switching games, correct?

justinwebb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can get it to work in the dstwo menu but with imenu it always says icons are missing. I have it set up the same as CATSFC and that works perfectly, any reason why it TEMPGBA wont work with imenu?

EDIT: with imenu its looking in the _dstwoplug directory instead of root

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
[...]

Till we arrive at the multiplayer support level ! (not sure if I'm kidding... I would want it if it was possible... also the DS Wireless is actually usable, even thought the RSA hasn't been hacked yet)
The SDK doesn't support WiFi or "NiFi" which is the proprietary protocol for near communication on an ad-hoc WiFi network on the DS.

Hey Nebuleon, I was wondering if immediate saving to sd could be implemented as a toggle. I ask this because I remember gpsp kai having either this or the current method as options, so I figured it would be at least partially on the codebase already.
I understand that may not be your priority but it would make me much more comfortable with the emulator, being the save paranoid that I am! Maybe even a manual save to sd button or mappable shortcut? Currently it saves to sd only when exiting or switching games, correct?
Currently it only saves when exiting? Are you sure you're not just saying that because NDSGBA 1.21 itself didn't save immediately? Check out the beta 7 if you haven't already.

Oh, it indeed doesn't save when I shut off the DS one second after saving in Pokémon Emerald. And here I thought that the code had some logic to save to storage after 10 frames (1/6 second) of no writes to the GBA's save area...

I can get it to work in the dstwo menu but with imenu it always says icons are missing. I have it set up the same as CATSFC and that works perfectly, any reason why it TEMPGBA wont work with imenu?

EDIT: with imenu its looking in the _dstwoplug directory instead of root
That's because you're putting the .plg in /_dstwoplug. If you use arguments to load the program (like with iMenu or BAGPlug), it looks for the system directory in the parent directory of tempgba.plg. So it expects /_dstwoplug/SYSTEM/GUI/boot.bmp, etc.

If you don't want that, the easiest solution is to dump the TEMPGBA directory into the root as is, or to make /_dstwoplug/TEMPGBA a directory containing the .plg, .bmp, .ini and the SYSTEM, GAMES, SAVES, CHEATS and PICS directories.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm also save-paranoid, and had I known about this earlier, I would have fixed it. In the alphas I was concentrating much harder on making saved states work.

Auto-saving will be in beta 8.
  • commit 765afc3: Actually write a .sav to disk 10 frames after the last write to GBA flash.
Edit: After briefly testing this feature in Pokémon Emerald, there is a very visible delay (1/4 of a second?) when creating a file on the SD card for the first time during an emulator run. This will assure you that things are being written.

The exact delay may be card-speed–dependent.

lpchaim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm also save-paranoid, and had I known about this earlier, I would have fixed it. In the alphas I was concentrating much harder on making saved states work.

Auto-saving will be in beta 8.
  • commit 765afc3: Actually write a .sav to disk 10 frames after the last write to GBA flash.
Edit: After briefly testing this feature in Pokémon Emerald, there is a very visible delay (1/4 of a second?) when creating a file on the SD card for the first time during an emulator run. This will assure you that things are being written.

The exact delay may be card-speed–dependent.
Yeah, I lost my almost 2 hour save on Castlevania AoS because of it hahaha
But I digress, thank you for comitting the change so fast.
Also, is it OK for you to have bugs reported in this thread like I did or it's better to create an issue on github?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought I saw my ex on that new kingdom of the Apes poster
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought I saw a puttie snatch...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself) and I had a spare XSX and Switch I ended up selling him at pretty steep cuts. I would just give them to him, but I did buy them with the intent to sell them... and college is super expensive.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A little yeah...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, [insert wut here]
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm a little hi, but bout to fix that.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now I'm low, i was upstairs in my wifeys kitchen, now I'm downstairs in my dungeon.(My basement)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    do you mind? i snuck in with amiibo and jars, and am trying to do my thing brony style
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    have you ever regretted saying something immediately after saying it?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah what i was doing was trying to cure my ever-so-apparent crabs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    my younger brother is forcing me to play with him and my cousins are here *sigh*
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ that Hack a hacked 360 vid was neat, never knew it existed.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I thought it was interesting.
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RklRDirsON4