CREDITS:

Music – Intro: Starlight (W.M.D.)
Outro: All of Your Love (Spencircuit)
(http://8bc.org)

Art - Wabsta

Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes: http://www.itunes.co...st?id=459650985
Or with a podcatcher using our RSS feed: http://feeds.feedbur...com/gbatempcast
Follow us on Facebook!

Special thanks to Satangel for his audio clip! Next weeks topic is Nintendo Franchises! We will be going over EVERY (or close to every) Mario and Zelda game, talking about each one individually. So if you'd like to be a part of it, send in any opinion on the topic! What's your favorite game? Least favorite? Most underrated? Let us know!

1) Sending us a voice clip. Keep it short, under 4-5 minutes preferably. You can either send an mp3 file of any quality to temptalkshow[at]gmail[dot]com, or send one through Vocaroo. Try to make it as good quality as possible, I can't use it if it poor sounding. Also, your english does not have to be the best! Foreigners welcome and I'd love to hear some of our non-American listeners.

2) Reply to this thread with something you'd like us to read on the show!

I'll post a reminder thread in a week, I hope to hear as many of you as possible. The submission deadline is November 19, 2011. Anything sent after that might be added if I get it before we record, but I can't guarantee it.

Sloshy

Trophies
Website
piecesoflint.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
For added enjoyment, whenever iFish speaks, imagine this flapping its mouth up and down slightly:
fatpikachu.png

Also: I got Cave Story 3D the other day (MR COW, take note). It's really, really good. They have the whole game flawlessly recreated in 3D and the graphics look fantastic with the 3D on. The added depth doesn't make the game harder to play at all with 3D and the aesthetic designs of levels and the remixed music are quite a bit better than the originals. If you want to support Pixel, get this game. It's very worth it, especially if you've never played Cave Story before. Sure, it isn't all "2D nostalgia" type graphics like before, but it feels much closer to "PS1 nostalgia" and the gameplay is still very nostalgic. That's not a bad thing at all to me.

PS: The only new content (remind me if I'm forgetting anything) besides the graphics and music upgrades are an unlockable Prinny hat, a lot of bonus areas, more health capsules, and a classic mode where you can play the game in 3D with the original character sprites, sorta like Paper Mario.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For added enjoyment, whenever iFish speaks, imagine this flapping its mouth up and down slightly:
fatpikachu.png

Also: I got Cave Story 3D the other day (MR COW, take note). It's really, really good. They have the whole game flawlessly recreated in 3D and the graphics look fantastic with the 3D on. The added depth doesn't make the game harder to play at all with 3D and the aesthetic designs of levels and the remixed music are quite a bit better than the originals. If you want to support Pixel, get this game. It's very worth it, especially if you've never played Cave Story before. Sure, it isn't all "2D nostalgia" type graphics like before, but it feels much closer to "PS1 nostalgia" and the gameplay is still very nostalgic. That's not a bad thing at all to me.

PS: The only new content (remind me if I'm forgetting anything) besides the graphics and music upgrades are an unlockable Prinny hat, a lot of bonus areas, more health capsules, and a classic mode where you can play the game in 3D with the original character sprites, sorta like Paper Mario.
That was my Skype picture at the time~

zachtheninja

Honorary Ninja
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait until the Advance Wars Temptalk. The Advance Wars series is one of my favorite nintendo IPs. I wish they would make an Advance Wars 3DS...

Reactions: 1 person

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You should read my name like this [say-tay-ngel]. I've pronounced it in the correct way in the beginning of my shitty clip, if you need an example. And I don't know which guest pointed it out and but it's indeed a mix from Satan (evil) and Angel (good). I invented it myself about 9 years when I was on holiday with my parents in some kind of religious place :evil:

I don't know how there are 4 gamers and none of them are able to enjoy a game like Skyrim, usually there's always someone who likes the system/game. My best friend doesn't like it either, but 2 other friends love it to death. Bethesda games like this (Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion and now Skyrim) are always superb, they work hard and long on them and you just know they will not disappoint you. Wouldn't be surprised if Skyrim got GOTY again, just like Fallout 3 (?) and Oblivion received.

I really didn't know Americans didn't know the Anno series at all, I guess it just didn't really take off over there. It's a real-time strategy that resembles a bit to the Settlers, but on a bigger scale and the goal is to make your city/cities as wealthy as possible. Warfare isn't the strongest point of the series. It's mainly a city management game, not as deep as Civilization but definitely not as easy as a regular RTS like Age of Empires.
Anno 2070 is really taking a different approach, more modern and futuristic, unlike the first few games that took place in the years 1500-1700. I'll just copy the explanation of the latest game, Anno 1701, here:

As with other Anno games, the player starts as an unarmed country which has to colonize and expand in the game world. While the player expands, other computer controlled rivals are expanding and strengthening. As the player progresses through the game, players have access to lodge activities and troops which allow them to invade and ultimately to defeat other players.
The game is divided into five social stages: Pioneer, Settler, Citizen, Merchant, and Aristocrat. At the start of the game, all of a player's citizens are pioneers. They pay little amounts of taxes, and require only food and a town center. As a player's empire develops, so does his population. They begin upgrading (provided they have sufficient goods), paying more taxes, but also requiring more goods, such as tobacco products, perfume, lamp oil, and much more. It is crucial for a player to develop quickly, as not much profit is attained until reaching the merchant stage.
Players can trade with other opponents settling under the Queen's name, or with foreign cultures.
Liang Wu and his Chinese are found on small islands in the north of the island world. They trade the colonial good Jade, and purchase food.
Poxacoatl and his Aztecs live on medium islands in the southern zone, are few in number and believe in the infinite power of the gods. They trade the colonial goods Talismans, and purchase cloth and horses.
Amin Sahir and his Indians have a small settlement on one of the small islands in the southern end of the island world. Their Indian Ivory is a desirable colonial good.
Tetonka and his Iroquois are situated in a dense forest on one of the smaller islands in the northern zone of the island world. The Iroquois trade furs, and purchase tobacco products and weapons.
Ramirez and his Pirates take refuge in expertly concealed hideouts, and due to their aggressive nature they take rich rewards from raids, therefore they can offer you all colonial goods.
Anno 1701 is almost entirely focused on trade and economics, leaving little left over for war tactics. Unfortunately, warfare requires little strategy. However, the graphics are state-of-the art, making it very exciting to watch the intricate details of land or sea battles. The combat has been simplified in some respects compared to the previous Anno game (Anno 1503), which makes it less involved and less difficult for amateur Anno gamers.

221516_full.jpg

I guess it really isn't that popular in the States, because if you would ask 10 gamers here if they know the series, I'm sure at least 3 of them would say yes :yay:
If you would ask them if they knew Marvel vs Capcom, I'm pretty sure none of them would know what the fuck I'm talking about. So calling Anno an obscure game, is kind of weird.

Looking forward to the next GBAtemp podcasts, I've listened to them all so far :toot:

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The next topic is about Nintendo IPs? I should be on it, I'll provide a good dissenting voice. "The 2D Mario games were good, not amazing." "Tis a shame a cool heroine in Samus turned into a whining pussy," "Zelda is not fun."

Sloshy

Trophies
Website
piecesoflint.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
The next topic is about Nintendo IPs? I should be on it, I'll provide a good dissenting voice. "The 2D Mario games were good, not amazing." "Tis a shame a cool heroine in Samus turned into a whining pussy," "Zelda is not fun."
Oh boy... I can't wait... ;)
You should read my name like this [say-tay-ngel]. I've pronounced it in the correct way in the beginning of my shitty clip, if you need an example. And I don't know which guest pointed it out and but it's indeed a mix from Satan (evil) and Angel (good). I invented it myself about 9 years when I was on holiday with my parents in some kind of religious place :evil:
Yup that was me! As for that strategy game, it sounds really cool... I'm a big Civ fan and if I can find this game cheaply, I'll probably get it.

Reactions: 1 person

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Oh boy... I can't wait... ;)
Yup that was me! As for that strategy game, it sounds really cool... I'm a big Civ fan and if I can find this game cheaply, I'll probably get it.
There's also a very good Wii version (and the 2 (or one dunno) DS versions aren't bad either!) available, but I really doubt you'll find it legal. Only chance is to download it I think.
Review of the Wii version

It doesn't feature that much micro-management like the PC, it's a more dumbed down version, but very enjoyable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gotta get that government cheese one new laptop a year +1