• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Tennessee poised to ban public drag shows, hormone therapy for children

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's understandable, who is going to show and talk about the boring shows when men in women's clothes just sing or do a stand up act? It's honestly not particularly interesting in all reality.
You're trying to talk about them, with zero proof.
As to your second point there, that's great to know, I honestly jumped the gun and didn't read the whole law. Glad to see they do make the distinguishment. Still I don't feel the law should be the ones to do this job, it should be the parents job to ensure there children don't get exposed to the things in life that they don't want their kids exposed to.
There were already laws against exposing kids to regular strip bars. Nobody thought that was controversial. So why are drag shows so important to you?
Post automatically merged:

Nope. My argument would be for language specifying sexual drag shows if this the route we're going to. But in all reality I think it should fall on a parent to guardian their child in terms of where they go and what they see, not the government.
The same can be said of any law. It doesn't explain why you and the left as a whole think taking kids to drag shows is so important. What do you get out of it personally?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're trying to talk about them, with zero proof.

There were already laws against exposing kids to regular strip bars. Nobody thought that was controversial. So why are drag shows so important to you?
Look around bro, like I said, educate yourself, I'm not going to do your homework for you. It's not hard to find a drag show where a man in woman's clothes just reads a book, sings a song, or does a standup act, it happens.

Drag shows aren't important to me. What's important to me here, is the is pitiful overreliance we keep putting on the government to do our parenting for us due to personal fears, just in general, this is just one of the latest examples in general.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look around bro, like I said, educate yourself, I'm not going to do your homework for you. It's not hard to find a drag show where a man in woman's clothes just reads a book, sings a song, or does a standup act, it happens.

Drag shows aren't important to me. What's important to me here, is the is pitiful overreliance we keep putting on the government to do our parenting for us due to persona fears, just in general, this is just one of the latest examples in general.
Serious question, do you think we should get rid of mandatory schooling for young children? Should we let parents choose whether their kids go to school?

Lots of things the state forces on parents - where is the line? Hard to say really - but there is clearly some role for the state to impose on parental rights - or at least that has been accepted for a long while

Reactions: TraderPatTX

Velorian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
#1 reason why right wingers in power make moves like this is to distract from actual policy decisions that hurt their base along with everyone else. LOOK OVER THERE...quickly cuts taxes on the extremely rich and corporations while at the same time devaluing your money by not increasing wages with inflation, attacking unions, making sure you never have healthcare and are constantly living in a state of desperation so you never have time or energy to oppose these policies. A byproduct of this is increased hatred as people are distracted and unsure where to point there anger as their lives worsen.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
#1 reason why right wingers in power make moves like this is to distract from actual policy decisions that hurt their base along with everyone else. LOOK OVER THERE...quickly cuts taxes on the extremely rich and corporations while at the same time devaluing your money by not increasing wages with inflation, attacking unions, making sure you never have healthcare and are constantly living in a state of desperation so you never have time or energy to oppose these policies. A byproduct of this is increased hatred as people are distracted and unsure where to point there anger as their lives worsen.
"devaluing your money by not increasing wages with inflation"

Increasing wages more would actually cause more inflation

Although I agree with you in general, the culture war stuff is a distraction and mostly used (by both sides) to get emotional voters to polls

Reactions: TraderPatTX

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you don't have to defend your own argument? Must.be.nice.

At least I can defend my position.

Drag shows aren't important to me. What's important to me here, is the is overreliance we're putting on the government to do our parenting for us, just in general, this is just one of the latest examples in general.
It's always been illegal to take kids to strip bars.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Serious question, do you think we should get rid of mandatory schooling for young children? Should we let parents choose whether their kids go to school?
Well if some parent didn't want to educate a child, I think that would qualify as child abuse, and I'm not in favor of abuse (and please spare me that any drag show is inherently some form of abuse, it's not), so if a parent wants to deny their child an education, I suppose they should be free to do that, but then they should also face the consequences for the inherent child abuse that that is.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any laws at all obviously, but I do think we need to stop relying on the government to tell us what to do on so many issues. Follow movie ratings kind of mentality, they aren't legally enforced, but PG means parental guidance, use your best judgment to decide if such things are for your kids or not.

So you don't have to defend your own argument? Must.be.nice.
It's a cute deflection. But if you aren't willing to educate yourself, what would be the point of giving you examples, you'd just scoff them off. And you keep focusing on the wrong issue I'm actually focusing on here anyway, my gripe is with how we're unable to parent for ourselves anymore, it's truly pathetic.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The left are pro-choice, until it comes for black parents taking their kids out of failing inner city schools where 80% graduate at a 3rd grade reading level.
Lots of things the state forces on parents - where is the line? Hard to say really - but there is clearly some role for the state to impose on parental rights - or at least that has been accepted for a long while
A good line to not cross would be to not sexualize children. It should be a non-controversial line but here we are.

Well if some parent didn't want to educate a child, I think that would qualify as child abuse, and I'm not in favor of abuse (and please spare me that any drag show is inherently some form of abuse, it's not), so if a parent wants to deny their child an education, I suppose they should be free to do that, but then they should also face the consequences for the inherent child abuse that that is.
The argument was not denying children an education. The argument was school choice. Learn to read.
I'm not saying there shouldn't be any laws at all obviously, but I do think we need to stop relying on the government to tell us what to do on so many issues. Follow movie ratings kind of mentality, they aren't legally enforced, but PG means parental guidance, use your best judgment to decide if such things are for your kids or not.
Parents have always taken their kids to R rated movies. You are advocating for allowing parents to take their kids into an X rated theater.
It's a cute deflection. But if you aren't willing to educate yourself, what would be the point of giving you examples, you'd just scoff them off. And you keep focusing on the wrong issue I'm actually focusing on here anyway, my gripe is with how we're unable to parent for ourselves anymore, it's truly pathetic.
Taking kids to sexual shows is not parenting. You are obviously not a parent or you'd know this.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The argument was not denying children an education. The argument was school choice. Learn to read.
Ummm, you sure about that buddy?

They didn't say 'where their kids go to school' they said 'whether their kids go to school.' Learn to read ;)

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ummm, you sure about that buddy?

They didn't say 'where their kids go to school' they said 'whether their kids go to school.' Learn to read ;)
Your silence on the drag show video I provided is quite deafening. It is what you ultimately advocate for, so it's not surprising.

Reactions: OM3GAZX

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your silence on the drag show video I provided is quite deafening. It is what you ultimately advocate for, so it's not surprising.
My silence is because you wont educate yourself, so it's pointless to keep debating you. Plus you just demonstrated wonderfully how daft you truly are. I see now what a waste of time it truly is to keep discoursing with you.

Good luck on the reading!

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there has to be a "choice" as far as education goes, then it's either because
A: The education is underfunded, below acceptable standards, or been handicapped by politics
B: You don't want kids to learn things as they are, you want them to learn as you want them to be

A can be solved with money, higher standards, and school-boards not filled with insane idiots. B can be solved by...not classifying religious schools as school. because it's not really. it's school+propaganda.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went to a catholic school and while we did have religion class, the quality of the other classes overall was MUCH HIGHER than the local public school.

I don't know who I would be today if I was sent to the failing public school down the road like some of my buddies.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there has to be a "choice" as far as education goes, then it's either because
A: The education is underfunded, below acceptable standards, or been handicapped by politics
B: You don't want kids to learn things as they are, you want them to learn as you want them to be

A can be solved with money, higher standards, and school-boards not filled with insane idiots. B can be solved by...not classifying religious schools as school. because it's not really. it's school+propaganda.
If money was the solution, this problem would have been solved decades ago. We spend more per student than any other industrialized nation. We've been in the process of lowering standards since the 1970's. The argument now is that standardized testing like the SAT and ACT are racist, along with GPA scores. Almost every single school board has been filled with hardcore leftists supporting the teachers unions over students for decades. Only recently school boards, especially here in Florida, have been flipped. Only time will tell how this new change turns out.

However, this is a bit off topic.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went to a catholic school and while we did have religion class, the quality of the other classes overall was MUCH HIGHER than the local public school.

I don't know who I would be today if I was sent to the failing public school down the road like some of my buddies.

If money was the solution, this problem would have been solved decades ago. We spend more per student than any other industrialized nation. We've been in the process of lowering standards since the 1970's. The argument now is that standardized testing like the SAT and ACT are racist, along with GPA scores. Almost every single school board has been filled with hardcore leftists supporting the teachers unions over students for decades. Only recently school boards, especially here in Florida, have been flipped. Only time will tell how this new change turns out.

However, this is a bit off topic.
Is it being religious why it's better? obviously not. most likely smaller classroom sizes, more teacher time focus on each student, more teachers given more time to devout to fewer students and fewer courses, etc. A lot of the issue with public school is because those in charge tend to be a bit more uninformed and unqualified folks. They're elected to school-boards, and while sometimes well-meaning, usually approve non-evidence based paths forward. Money isn't being spent wisely, and is wasted. Cutting back on spending isn't going to make them spend better, it's just going to make the whole situation worse. What needs to happen is a restructuring and evidence-based programs need to be pushed rather than yeah-that-sounds-good-I-guess. Ask any teacher how much of their own money and time is put in and you'll start to wonder where all that money is going.

Bit off topic, but it's all a part of that lack of understanding and willful desire to ban reality which, surprisingly enough, only winds up hurting everyone in the long run. my local public school is also a giant hole of poorly spent money. it's more about figuring out where all that money is going, and actually getting it to the students.

The numbers saying we "spend more per student" is actually "we actually just divided the money sent to schools and by the amount of students minus admin cost" than it is "this is the amount of money allocated to each student and can only ever be spent on that particular student's education". very different things. they also all seem to be buying ipads for students and a lot of heavy tech upgrades which wasn't a thing 20 years ago. it's a lot of balls in the air, and none of it is solved by reducing the funding.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it being religious why it's better? obviously not. A lot of the issue with public school is because those in charge tend to be a bit more uninformed and unqualified folks. They're elected to school-boards, and while sometimes well-meaning, usually approve non-evidence based paths forward. Money isn't being spent wisely, and is wasted. Cutting back on spending isn't going to make them spend better, it's just going to make the whole situation worse. What needs to happen is a restructuring and evidence-based programs need to be pushed rather than yeah-that-sounds-good-I-guess. Ask any teacher how much of their own money and time is put in and you'll start to wonder where all that money is going.

Bit off topic, but it's all a part of that lack of understanding and willful desire to ban reality which, surprisingly enough, only winds up hurting everyone in the long run.
My honest thought is the difference comes from the different attitude of the parents and children.

At public school people are there because they are forced to be there.

At private school, the parents made the decision to send their children there and to spend thousands of dollars investing in their child's education. The parents are much more involved, and will make sure the kids engage in education. Further, if a child will not apply themselves they will be booted from the school. It's in my opinion mostly a difference in motivation. Afterall - at my school the teachers actually made considerably less money than public school teachers - but they chose to continue to work there because it was more rewarding (also the kids behave more).

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it being religious why it's better? obviously not. most likely smaller classroom sizes, more teacher time focus on each student, more teachers given more time to devout to fewer students and fewer courses, etc. A lot of the issue with public school is because those in charge tend to be a bit more uninformed and unqualified folks. They're elected to school-boards, and while sometimes well-meaning, usually approve non-evidence based paths forward. Money isn't being spent wisely, and is wasted. Cutting back on spending isn't going to make them spend better, it's just going to make the whole situation worse. What needs to happen is a restructuring and evidence-based programs need to be pushed rather than yeah-that-sounds-good-I-guess. Ask any teacher how much of their own money and time is put in and you'll start to wonder where all that money is going.

Bit off topic, but it's all a part of that lack of understanding and willful desire to ban reality which, surprisingly enough, only winds up hurting everyone in the long run. my local public school is also a giant hole of poorly spent money. it's more about figuring out where all that money is going, and actually getting it to the students.
The teacher's unions are constantly fighting against this. The money should follow the student and parents should be able to remove their kids from failing schools.
The numbers saying we "spend more per student" is actually "we actually just divided the money sent to schools and by the amount of students minus admin cost" than it is "this is the amount of money allocated to each student and can only ever be spent on that particular student's education". very different things. they also all seem to be buying ipads for students and a lot of heavy tech upgrades which wasn't a thing 20 years ago. it's a lot of balls in the air, and none of it is solved by reducing the funding.
Funding doesn't have to be reduced. Give parents school vouchers and a choice. There is no sense in taxpayers continuing to fund failing schools so bad teachers can stay employed.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My honest thought is the difference comes from the different attitude of the parents and children.

At public school people are there because they are forced to be there.

At private school, the parents made the decision to send their children there and to spend thousands of dollars investing in their child's education. The parents are much more involved, and will make sure the kids engage in education. Further, if a child will not apply themselves they will be booted from the school. It's in my opinion mostly a difference in motivation. Afterall - at my school the teachers actually made considerably less money than public school teachers - but they chose to continue to work there because it was more rewarding (also the kids behave more).
parents are the worst part of being a teacher. Most tend to be belligerent and think of teachers as less skilled than they are. I'm not sure about the annual salary of your private school, but it's also important to consider the amount of their own money teachers spend on students, and the amount of time they spend per student. Working 10-12 hour days nearly every day of the week and it sometimes comes to closer to minimum wage. and it's still not enough time to get it all done like you'd want as a teacher.

The kids not behaving is a big one, though. There are solutions, but it's hard to make those changes stick, because whatever they learn at school is discarded as soon as they get home and nothing sticks. but I don't think the answer is "just ignore them" and "make sure the privileged don't have to engage with them". I can understand the desire to not be a part of a system that's broken, but we should at least be trying to fix it. because there is a way to fix it. it's made far far more difficult, though, when most people would rather just wash their hands of it and think of it as someone else's problem.

"why should i learn", "what can school offer me", "what benefit is in it for me", are questions that students should know. but they're rarely taught or brought to comprehension on. it's just "do it because i say so". and who tf listens to that.

Reactions: x65943

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The teacher's unions are constantly fighting against this. The money should follow the student and parents should be able to remove their kids from failing schools.

Funding doesn't have to be reduced. Give parents school vouchers and a choice. There is no sense in taxpayers continuing to fund failing schools so bad teachers can stay employed.
that's...you're contradicting yourself in the same paragraph. those are antithetical approaches in the same thought. "failing schools" means school failing students which means a failing country. but vouchers so a privileged few can attend what public school should be? come oooooon. rather than splitting funds between schools, public education should get all of it. and that money should be spent in ways which turn failing into wild successes. vouchers and the illusion of choice are just cutting off your nose to spite your face. I can understand on an individual basis, the desire to get your kid the absolute very best. But on a national scale, on an education-level scale, we have to fix education, not discard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I should visit Florida again, miss the alligator barbecues
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream machine started rust inside so I pitched it, but gotta get a new one, miss making my own ice cream, esp with booze.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZVQF0yPnTc +1