• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Tennessee poised to ban public drag shows, hormone therapy for children

Status
Not open for further replies.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
parents are the worst part of being a teacher. Most tend to be belligerent and think of teachers as less skilled than they are. I'm not sure about the annual salary of your private school, but it's also important to consider the amount of their own money teachers spend on students, and the amount of time they spend per student. Working 10-12 hour days nearly every day of the week and it sometimes comes to closer to minimum wage. and it's still not enough time to get it all done like you'd want as a teacher.

The kids not behaving is a big one, though. There are solutions, but it's hard to make those changes stick, because whatever they learn at school is discarded as soon as they get home and nothing sticks. but I don't think the answer is "just ignore them" and "make sure the privileged don't have to engage with them". I can understand the desire to not be a part of a system that's broken, but we should at least be trying to fix it. because there is a way to fix it. it's made far far more difficult, though, when most people would rather just wash their hands of it and think of it as someone else's problem.

"why should i learn", "what can school offer me", "what benefit is in it for me", are questions that students should know. but they're rarely taught or brought to comprehension on. it's just "do it because i say so". and who tf listens to that.
another aspect is kids see everyone at their school, the kids who try and the ones who don't, and they mainly end up in the same situation after graduation. Dead end jobs and continued low wages without much hope for advancement. It's not hard to see why kids don't take school seriously.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
another aspect is kids see everyone at their school, the kids who try and the ones who don't, and they mainly end up in the same situation after graduation. Dead end jobs and continued low wages without much hope for advancement. It's not hard to see why kids don't take school seriously.
only way to escape that is to already have money. unfortunately

Reactions: Xzi and x65943

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only way to escape that is to already have money. unfortunately
I think having a role model and seeing getting out is possible is a big part of it.

I never really thought I could escape that stuff either, but when you see other people do well it gives you hope that you can get out. In my state there is a program that pays for college if you can keep a certain GPA in high school, and the state colleges here are actually pretty good.

I did go to catholic school but basically through fate we didn't end up having to pay tuition.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
parents are the worst part of being a teacher. Most tend to be belligerent and think of teachers as less skilled than they are. I'm not sure about the annual salary of your private school, but it's also important to consider the amount of their own money teachers spend on students, and the amount of time they spend per student. Working 10-12 hour days nearly every day of the week and it sometimes comes to closer to minimum wage. and it's still not enough time to get it all done like you'd want as a teacher.

The kids not behaving is a big one, though. There are solutions, but it's hard to make those changes stick, because whatever they learn at school is discarded as soon as they get home and nothing sticks. but I don't think the answer is "just ignore them" and "make sure the privileged don't have to engage with them". I can understand the desire to not be a part of a system that's broken, but we should at least be trying to fix it. because there is a way to fix it. it's made far far more difficult, though, when most people would rather just wash their hands of it and think of it as someone else's problem.

"why should i learn", "what can school offer me", "what benefit is in it for me", are questions that students should know. but they're rarely taught or brought to comprehension on. it's just "do it because i say so". and who tf listens to that.
“The plight of teachers” is a meme. Comparatively speaking, teachers have higher incomes than the average American (and it’s not even close), they have significantly more time off than almost any other profession (teachers only work +/- 180 days a year) and have some of the strongest unions in the country. The average teacher’s salary in the United States is $65K, and we’re not talking about professors - we’re talking about public elementary school teachers. Couple that with a state pension (in some states average, in others absolutely exceptional) and you have yourself an excellent gig. If anything, since results are slipping, they deserve less, not more.

983C1B5A-4761-4BE8-B81C-03B5536CA3A5.png

As far as dealing with children is concerned, that’s part of the job - they get more than adequate compensation for their trouble. What isn’t part of their job is acting like a third parent. The difference between public school and private school is that private school has a monetary incentive to impart as much knowledge and as many skills as possible. The performance of a private school is measured empirically and compensated accordingly - poor performance equals decrease in admissions. That’s not how public school works - public school is for teachers who believe they’re on a mission to “raise the next generation” and “change the world” when they’re absolutely not - that’s the job of the parents. Unfortunately, good parents are hard to come by.

More to the point, there’s no reason to feel bad for teachers - they’re *not* heroes and they don’t deserve any more praise than any other profession out there.

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny how nobody ever complained that children have never been allowed inside regular strip bars, even strip bars that don't serve alcohol. Now a very small minority are up in arms that people are against children putting dollar bills in men's thongs.

Why is it so important for you people to sexualize children? What do you get out of it?
No one here sexualized children until your post which is clearly projection.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's...you're contradicting yourself in the same paragraph. those are antithetical approaches in the same thought. "failing schools" means school failing students which means a failing country. but vouchers so a privileged few can attend what public school should be? come oooooon. rather than splitting funds between schools, public education should get all of it. and that money should be spent in ways which turn failing into wild successes. vouchers and the illusion of choice are just cutting off your nose to spite your face. I can understand on an individual basis, the desire to get your kid the absolute very best. But on a national scale, on an education-level scale, we have to fix education, not discard it.
So you want to force inner city kids, many black and hispanic, to continue going to failing schools, graduating with a 3rd grade reading level and reward those same schools with more funds. That makes about as much sense as providing drug addicts with more drugs and places to shoot up.
Post automatically merged:

No one here sexualized children until your post which is clearly projection.
Define projection, person who wants to allow kids to watch men dance around in women's lingerie telling adult jokes about gay sex.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
Comparatively speaking, teachers have higher incomes than the average American (and it’s not even close), they have significantly more time off than almost any other profession (teachers only work +/- 180 days a year) and have some of the strongest unions in the country.
meanwhile the funding for the school itself is based on proper tax from nearby houses for the school, rather than say, all households within the state. causing inequality to be worse due to consequences of red lining.
Having what is now the bare minimum actual fucking wage. (since now to keep up with inflation. minium wage would need to be about 21+ an hour as of today.)
https://www.cbpp.org/research/state-budget-and-tax/a-punishing-decade-for-school-funding
1677471500948.png

Saying that "well teachers are paid well"
Is only half the problem. If the teachers don't actually have the funds to teach, and need to eat into their own pay to provide resources, then you got a problem.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
meanwhile the funding for the school itself is based on proper tax from nearby houses for the school, rather than say, all households within the state. causing inequality to be worse due to consequences of red lining.
Having what is now the bare minimum actual fucking wage. (since now to keep up with inflation. minium wage would need to be about 21+ an hour as of today.)
https://www.cbpp.org/research/state-budget-and-tax/a-punishing-decade-for-school-funding
View attachment 355928
Saying that "well teachers are paid well"
Is only half the problem. If the teachers don't actually have the funds to teach, and need to eat into their own pay to provide resources, then you got a problem.
Oh please. The decline in quality far preceded any noticeable decline in funding. Moreover, K-12 spending per pupil per year has increased, not decreased, but your chart conveniently cuts off at 2015.

F88BEA08-F434-4650-A31F-A63C02E7843F.png

In any industry that isn’t ran by insane people, a decrease in performance is tied to stagnant or decreased funding (rightfully so). If teachers want to earn more or operate on a higher budget, they need to demonstrate that the funding is somehow tied to empirically measured results. Most important of all, you’re arguing a completely different point than what @osaka35 was talking about. The point of the post I was replying to was that teachers are overworked and underpaid. They are not overworked - they get half of the year off. They’re not underpaid - their earnings are above average. On top of that they’re generally treated as heroes for simply getting up in the morning and doing their job, which I will never understand. This is coming from someone who used to teach, so don’t give me the “if you’re so smart, you should try being a teacher and walk a mile in their shoes” spiel because it’s not going to work. Going “waagh!” isn’t going to convince the average American to support spending more on a system that’s failing them, in ways that I listed and, paradoxically, in ways that *you* listed. Too bad. The notion that teachers are “biting into their own pay” to provide resources for the school is yet another piece of evidence to prove their self-imposed martyrdom. It’s certainly nice when they do provide supplies for underprivileged kids, but let’s not pretend that the school system is filled with Mother Theresas because that’s absurd.

EDIT: As an additional tidbit of information, you will note that SAT scores have been slowly declining almost across the board since the mid-2000’s (realistically, on a macro scale, they’ve been declining since the 40’s, but that doesn’t affect the current generation, so it’s irrelevant to the discussion). I say almost, because curiously, Asians continue to score higher and higher, with only a small dip around 2016. I wonder what those families are doing differently compared to everybody else, particularly Hispanics whose scores have cratered around the same time. Huh. This is interesting, because the Department of Education received a $3.6 billon dollar boost right around that time, which constituted 5% of its budget from the preceding year - no small chunk of change. Following your logic, that should’ve translated into an increase in scores, but it didn’t - the opposite happened. Where’d the money go? According to *your own graph*, both state and local funding adjusted for inflation has been on the rise since 2013, but scores continued to decline - sharply. That doesn’t add up, unless of course there’s another ancillary reason why kids aren’t doing as well at school as they used to.

94F1760C-AD71-4287-B5EF-12D8B5DF8C67.jpeg

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP
Most important of all, you’re arguing a completely different point than what @osaka35 was talking about.
1.I'm not @osaka35 , we don't share the same mind or thoughts, or overall political position . I can make my own separate arguments if I so choose to do so. Mine's a separate but related topic.
Oh please. The decline in quality far preceded any noticeable decline in funding
2. https://edworkingpapers.com/sites/default/files/ai19-25.pdf
"These districts eventually realized gains in student achievement and attainment. Our preferred
estimates imply that increasing operational spending by $1,000 per pupil increased test scores by
approximately 0.15 of a standard deviation and graduation rates by approximately 9 percentage
points."
https://edworkingpapers.com/sites/default/files/ai19-58_v1.pdf
"A $1,000 annual increase in foundation funding, or 10% increase in
expenditures, yields a 0.1 s.d. increase in reading scores and a near 0.08 increase in math. In
addition dropout rates decline, graduation rates marginally increase, as does college enrollment
and to a smaller degree graduation"
yes it does follow.

https://www.epi.org/publication/public-education-funding-in-the-us-needs-an-overhaul/

When the 2008 crash happened, it made the issues that already existed, far worse. It made parents foot the bill, who already were not capable of handling that. That's why we had a decline in quality lagging behind funding, and the drop of funding making things substantially worse. Parents are going to value keeping a home and at least food on the table at number one priority. Which meant for the people who still had a home. They still provided funding on a local level. Even if it comes at the cost of unable to provide supplies for school.

As an additional tidbit of information, you will note that SAT
SAT's have been realized as a extremely flawed scoring system. Primarily because often the SAT's require very specific answers, to general problems. As in a problem that can be solved in multiple ways, but the scoring system only expects two methods of answering it. Meaning people who get the right answer, sound on every level, but didn't do the "correct" method would be dinged on the test pretty commonly. They're also attached to the very same problem.
Parent's capability to provide (financially) materials to help, in a already struggling situation. At the high school I went to (graduated in 2020 from high school) if I remember right. You had to pay to be able to try out the test. And purchase resources to study it. Not something you can easily do if your cutting it extremely close.

additionally
I say almost, because curiously, Asians continue to score higher and higher, with only a small dip around 2016
Asians and white people generally make up the upper margin of income. While other races generally don't. The reason Asians and white people do better, isn't because "They're just doing better"
And it's not because Asians are magically smarter, or white people being massive brained.
White people I don't think I have to explain the historical context as to why they're doing better. (hello racism and slaves, and knock on effects from generations of pay inequality and red lining)
Asians were previously treated like dog shit. For a while they were treated like idiots, primarily because of US propaganda. Which that same method later on (US propaganda) created the sterotype that Asian's were super smart. And as a result, reduced racism towards the group. Which also meant knock on effects generations later, as employers didn't turn them down, pay them less, or treat them as shittly as other workers. Meaning many many, generations later, they came into the position of being paid somewhat better. Which meant having the resources needed to do well on the SAT. (aka expendable income for studies)

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
“The plight of teachers” is a meme. Comparatively speaking, teachers have higher incomes than the average American (and it’s not even close), they have significantly more time off than almost any other profession (teachers only work +/- 180 days a year) and have some of the strongest unions in the country. The average teacher’s salary in the United States is $65K, and we’re not talking about professors - we’re talking about public elementary school teachers. Couple that with a state pension (in some states average, in others absolutely exceptional) and you have yourself an excellent gig. If anything, since results are slipping, they deserve less, not more.

View attachment 355873

As far as dealing with children is concerned, that’s part of the job - they get more than adequate compensation for their trouble. What isn’t part of their job is acting like a third parent. The difference between public school and private school is that private school has a monetary incentive to impart as much knowledge and as many skills as possible. The performance of a private school is measured empirically and compensated accordingly - poor performance equals decrease in admissions. That’s not how public school works - public school is for teachers who believe they’re on a mission to “raise the next generation” and “change the world” when it’s absolutely not - that’s the job of the parents. Unfortunately, good parents are hard to come by.

More to the point, there’s no reason to feel bad for teachers - they’re *not* heroes and they don’t deserve any more praise than any other profession out there.

One of my parents is in charge of Due Processing at one of the schools in our local district.
He could tell you a million stories about how stupid, lazy, and greedy American teachers and the Teachers Unions have become.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
1.I'm not @osaka35 , we don't share the same mind or thoughts, or overall political position . I can make my own separate arguments if I so choose to do so. Mine's a separate but related topic.
So you’re having a conversation with yourself then? About something that nobody else was talking about besides you? I see.
(…) increasing operational spending by $1,000 per pupil increased test scores by approximately 0.15 of a standard deviation and graduation rates by approximately 9 percentage
points."
A $1,000 annual increase in foundation funding, or 10% increase in expenditures, yields a 0.1 s.d. increase in reading scores and a near 0.08 increase in math. In
addition dropout rates decline, graduation rates marginally increase, as does college enrollment
and to a smaller degree graduation"
yes it does follow.
SAT's have been realized as a extremely flawed scoring system.
You can stop right there. You can’t simultaneously claim that students are doing better on tests *while* they’re bombing their SAT’s. It’s one or the other. It’s the only test that actually matters - that’s what gets them into higher education, that’s what improves their chances of employment and has a direct relation to future income. *Nobody* cares about how they did on Mrs. Hufflefluff’s math quiz, they care about the standardised test, and the scores for those have been progressively dropping as I’ve indicated. If the current curriculum isn’t tailored towards preparing students for the one test that will help them get a leg up on the educational and labour market then they are failing at their stated mission.
Parent's capability to provide (financially) materials to help, in a already struggling situation. (…) You had to pay to be able to try out the test.
A mock exam is not a pair of pants you get to try on, I assure you that the questions on the mock exam and the real test are different. The best thing you could say about mock exams is that they prepare a student for how the testing environment is going to look like and work. They should already know how to answer the questions, that’s what they’re in school for.
Asians and white people generally make up the upper margin of income.
Can you not see the graph? The scores of Asians are increasing whereas the scores of white students are decreasing. Your whole colour = disposable income for education nonsense falls flat when you look at the statistics - in 2017 the National Center for Education Statistics conducted a survey in regards to private school enrolment. 67% of new private primary and secondary school students were white (predictable in a predominantly white country), followed by 11% Hispanics, 9% Black and only 6% Asian. Asians, who are doing the best on SAT’s, have the lowest private school enrolment rate in that age group, so no, they’re not “spending extra” on the pupils, at least not to the extent of foregoing public schools in favour of private schools (admittedly there’s a stereotype of Asian parents hiring tutors, but I’d have to find a statistic to represent that anecdote as a number in order to draw any meaningful conclusions). Either disposable income does not translate to higher scores in a linear fashion that you suggest or you have failed to demonstrate that it does, because the data does not bear out what you’re saying.

Bit of a radical notion - could it be that Asian families simply foster an environment that is more conducive to higher levels of achievement, and rather than solely economic, the reasons are in fact socio-economic and you’re ignoring, let’s be generous, “half of the issue”? In your mind, are the parents responsible for how their children do in school in any way besides providing or not providing financial support? Because I assure you, no amount of money or teachers is going to replace attentive parents in the child’s formative years. Can’t wait for the “model minority” spiel that’s inevitably going to follow - you kind of started doing that already.
One of my parents is in charge of Due Processing at one of the schools in our local district.
He could tell you a million stories about how stupid, lazy, and greedy American teachers and the Teachers Unions have become.
It’s a money furnace. Everybody knows that, but nobody’s going to say it because they don’t want teachers to go on strike over and over because they need their glorified baby sitters.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Asians and white people generally make up the upper margin of income. While other races generally don't. The reason Asians and white people do better, isn't because "They're just doing better"
And it's not because Asians are magically smarter, or white people being massive brained.
White people I don't think I have to explain the historical context as to why they're doing better. (hello racism and slaves, and knock on effects from generations of pay inequality and red lining)
Asians were previously treated like dog shit. For a while they were treated like idiots, primarily because of US propaganda. Which that same method later on (US propaganda) created the sterotype that Asian's were super smart. And as a result, reduced racism towards the group. Which also meant knock on effects generations later, as employers didn't turn them down, pay them less, or treat them as shittly as other workers. Meaning many many, generations later, they came into the position of being paid somewhat better. Which meant having the resources needed to do well on the SAT. (aka expendable income for studies)
Stop. Just stop. All you are doing is race baiting and you're not even very good at it.

You should state the real reason Asians and whites do better. It's because they mostly have a two parent household consisting of a mother and a father, which studies have proven is integral to children's development. Blacks mostly grow up in single parent households with just a mother because that is what the government incentivizes with the tax code. That is the reason why the inner cities are the way that they are. School vouchers coupled with school choice would help alleviate the downward spiral, but the left are hellbent on keeping blacks on their inner city plantations with no way to escape.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 355873

As far as dealing with children is concerned, that’s part of the job - they get more than adequate compensation for their trouble. What isn’t part of their job is acting like a third parent. The difference between public school and private school is that private school has a monetary incentive to impart as much knowledge and as many skills as possible. The performance of a private school is measured empirically and compensated accordingly - poor performance equals decrease in admissions. That’s not how public school works - public school is for teachers who believe they’re on a mission to “raise the next generation” and “change the world” when they’re absolutely not - that’s the job of the parents. Unfortunately, good parents are hard to come by.

you don't know many teachers, do you? the world does not work how you think it works. on paper, in somemplaces, seems great. and probably is for a few lucky where all the other variables shake out favourably. but you should actually get out, talk to people. the picture you paint is not an accurate one. or rather, it's accurate for some, but not for most. there are many many more aspect whoch make teaching a living hell. making 65k a year average doesn't make a shit job a good or cushy job.

you should look up the "simpson's paradox" in statistics.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: Xzi

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
you don't know many teachers, do you? the world does not work how you think it works. you should actually get out, talk to people. the picture you paint is not an accurate one. or rather, it's accurate for some, but not for most.

Like I said, I used to teach. I’m very familiar with how the education system works, and I find the demands of teacher’s unions, as well as teachers themselves, unrealistic when you account for their actual performance. Flooding the public school system flush with money is not going to close the educational gap, there are bigger societal issues, particularly in the inner cities, and teachers are not equipped, or even meant to solve them. I’m a numbers guy - I look at the numbers and I make an estimation based on that. Anecdotes are not a good basis for policy. Funny you mention Simpson’s paradox, because we *have* subdivided pupils into smaller groups and we have demonstrated a difference in performance in spite of operating within the same public school system. That tells me that some groups are approaching education differently than others, and that has a more measurable effect on their scores.

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP
that’s what gets them into higher education,
Collages have been dropping the SATS. It's no longer the most important test.
And two, yes I can say that because there's multiple other tests that are far better at actually testing student intelligence. More than two thirds of collages don't require the SATS anymore. They've become essentially optional. Like I said. The SATS are flawed.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, I used to teach. I’m very familiar with how the education system works, and I find the demands of teacher’s unions, as well as teachers themselves, unrealistic when you account for their actual performance. Flooding the public school system flush with money is not going to close the educational gap, there are bigger societal issues, particularly in the inner cities, and teachers are not equipped, or even meant to solve them. I’m a numbers guy - I look at the numbers and I make an estimation based on that. Anecdotes are not a good basis for policy. Funny you mention Simpson’s paradox, because we *have* subdivided pupils into smaller groups and we have demonstrated a difference in performance in spite of operating within the same public school system. That tells me that some groups are approaching education differently than others, and that has a more measurable effect on their scores.
which is what I've been arguing. the money isn't being used as it should be. there are shit teachers, and I'm sure you could name quite a few, which translates for a need for higher degrees and hiring standards. And I've met many many good teachers who use their paychecks to provide tools for students, experiences, books, etc. because their area pays teachers poorly and expects them to do the job of 2 or 3 teachers. the bad students make the job hell, but usually their parents are 10x worse. which shouldn't be the teacher's job to fix or even deal with, but the parents aren't doing it.

the various standards for assessing students, teachers, and schools aren't exactly a good reflection of how things actually are, with varying degrees of accuracy and usefulness. the red-tape and glutton of unnecessary middle-men drain the public education system. the largeness of the system itself is slow to change, open for abuse and mishandling, and quick to cover up scandals. none of that will be fixed by paying teachers less, breaking up the system into smaller private schools, or removing money. it'll just make every issue worse. and the leeches will still keep on draining money away from students and personnel and it'll just make it all worse.

applying money where it's most useful, and will illicit the most change, is the prerogative. you say it's up to the parents, but the point of school is to create a generation smarter, more equipped, than their parents. for whom the bell tolls, or something like that.

I'm an evidence-based teacher, which is silly I have to specify, but that's neither here nor there. and i help other teachers overcome bad biases still taught in higher education (seriously, so many think "learning styles" is a thing). and oh boy is there a gamut of aweful to good.

there won't be a silver bullet solution. and more money dumped into the system will mostly be wasted. small classrooms, better educated teachers, standards that aren't pants-on-head silly, healthy food, more ethics and social education, and after-school programs. these help. not restricting money or just saying it's a failed idea (for anyone who actually thinks that). every child deserves the best education. if they're born into a shit environment, they at least need the opportunity to do more. and those who excel should also be given the opportunity to shine. all students should be given a chance and tools to exceed expectations. private school just enables the haves with the chance of continuing to have.

also it's important to see education not as a business where you're trying to turn a profit, and more of a service where you want to make sure it actually does what you want it to do. similar, but the tools and standards used to measure and assess will not necessarily be the same.

Last edited by osaka35,

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you don't know many teachers, do you? the world does not work how you think it works. on paper, in somemplaces, seems great. and probably is for a few lucky where all the other variables shake out favourably. but you should actually get out, talk to people. the picture you paint is not an accurate one. or rather, it's accurate for some, but not for most. there are many many more aspect whoch make teaching a living hell. making 65k a year average doesn't make a shit job a good or cushy job.

So i think im smart and can understand everything. then i read about simpson's paradox...

hurt.png

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And two, yes I can say that because there's multiple other tests that are far better at actually testing student intelligence. More than two thirds of collages don't require the SATS anymore. They've become essentially optional
colleges have been getting less and less funding from state and federal, and are being forced to operate more like businesses than a service. the students are both the product and the buyers. lowering standards across the board is definitely a thing that's happening in higher education so more money can be made off the backs of students.
So i think im smart and can understand everything. then i read about simpson's paradox...

View attachment 355997
lolol that's literally my thoughts during statstics. basically, some relationship of numbers look like it's definitely saying one thing (40% vs 60% is pretty clear, right?). but then you break them down differently or more precisely, and suddenly the numbers say something incredibly different (oh, it's 90% vs 10% if you remove this unnecessary bit). basically, you've got to really know the context and potential variables, or whatever numbers you come up with are fairly useless. or, to be overly simplistic:
numbers lie; context is everything

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP
67% of new private primary and secondary
Private schools wasn't my argument. I was talking about additional tutoring or at least having the financies to provide additional study resources. Additionally again, your using the SATS as a metric.
and only 6% Asian. Asians, who are doing the best on SAT’s, have the lowest private school enrolment rate in that age group, so no, they’re not “spending extra” on the pupils, at least not to the extent of foregoing public
Private school enrollment != disposable income.

There's a substantial pay inequality between people of color. Kinda hard to study if your mom or dad is struggling to keep the very roof over your head. If at all.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
which is what I've been arguing. the money isn't being used as it should be.
I can shake on that, and I absolutely agree. My problem is adding more money into the fire pit when we know ahead of time that it’s going to be squandered. Education reform can’t be boiled down to throwing money at the problem, there are serious administrative issues that are wasting money intended for children on pencil pushers. There’s a distinct lack of efficiency there that needs to be addressed. If my car is burning, I’m not going to the dealership to get it replaced just to park it inside a garage that’s on fire - that’s counterproductive.
And two, yes I can say that because there's multiple other tests that are far better at actually testing student intelligence. More than two thirds of collages don't require the SATS anymore. They've become essentially optional. Like I said. The SATS are flawed.
Of course they’re slowly phasing SAT out and opt for other testing methodology - they have to, given the declining state of both education and testing standards. The plan is to get rid of the requirement entirely by 2025, but as you may have noticed, it’s not 2025. They’ll come up with a different method of separating the wheat from the chaff.
Private schools wasn't my argument. I was talking about additional tutoring or at least having the financies to provide additional study resources. Additionally again, your using the SATS as a metric.

Private school enrollment != disposable income.

There's a substantial pay inequality between people of color. Kinda hard to study if your mom or dad is struggling to keep the very roof over your head. If at all.
Private school = disposable income for the purposes of education, by definition. Asians earn the most out of all ethnic groups in America, you would expect them to flood private schools, but they don’t. There’s an unresolved disconnect here that you’re trying to dodge, hiding behind an anecdote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ defibeep: any mods available to help, I can't post a new thread about my switch issue