Tesla - The Nintendo Switch Overlay Menu

fhwyjbd.png

Hey all.
I'd like to introduce to you, Tesla: My answer to the growing need for proper ingame front ends for sysmodules.

What is this?

• Tesla consists of three individual parts. nx-ovlloader, the Tesla menu and libtesla.
    • nx-ovlloader is basically nx-hbloader ported to run as a sysmodule. It runs in the background and loads overlay NROs (.ovl files) given to it.
    • Tesla Menu is the equivalent to the hbmenu. It's the initial thing loaded by nx-ovlloader and acts as a hub for you to select all other overlays.
    • libtesla is where it becomes interesting for developers. It's an easy to use library that handles layer creation, UI drawing and all the overlay UX. It makes it very easy to create a new overlay for anything
  • A frontend for sysmodules that before required either a homebrew or a config file to change settings or used sounds or the LED to give the user feedback.

What is this not?

• A tool that lets you create overlays that are always visible. Overlays can get unloaded way to easily for this.
  • An excuse to port absolutely everything to a overlay. Nobody's going to need a title manager overlay. If you consider making a overlay, keep it simple. You don't have a whole lot of memory to work with.

How do I use this?

First of all, download the latest release of nx-ovlloader and the Tesla Menu from the GitHub Release page and extract it onto your SD card.
After a reboot, hold down L and DPad Down and push on the right joy stick to bring up Tesla at any time. Navigation works as you imagine it.
Similar to normal homebrews, you place your .ovl files in the /switch/.overlays folder on your SD card.

Screenshots

W8yN2M6.jpg

fdfWAXw.jpg

Notice

Make sure to use the latest Atmosphere release when trying this as older versions ( as the one SX OS uses too ) probably won't have enough memory available for this to run. Overlays do take a lot of space so nx-ovlloader reserves 6MB. 2MB for framebuffers and around 4MB for overlay developers to use in their overlays.

GitHub

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader
Tesla Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu

For Developers

libtesla: https://github.com/WerWolv/libtesla
Tesla build template: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Template

Download

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader/releases/latest
Tesla-Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu/releases/latest
EdiZon Overlay: http://werwolv.net/downloads/EdiZonOverlay.zip ( As a little preview for what this is capable of and what EdiZon 4.0.0 will have even more of soon :) )

Special thank especially to averne without him, this would not have been possible!

Obligatory Donation links

GitHub Sponsors https://github.com/sponsors/WerWolv
PayPal https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KP7XRJAND9KWU&source=url
Patreon https://www.patreon.com/werwolv

Thanks a lot and have fun using and extending it :)

Last edited by WerWolv,

Hofure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I tried this, and while I am not getting atmosphere crashes I am instead getting ... nothing. Nothing at all.
Am I doing something wrong?
I installed the sysmodule.
I installed the `ovlmenu.ovl`, `ovlEdiZon.ovl` and `ovlSysmodules.ovl` files.
I rebooted.
On the homescreen (or even after launching Zelda: BOTW and loading my save), I press L, D-Pad Down and the Right Analogue Stick in.
And nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong T_T

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
So I tried this, and while I am not getting atmosphere crashes I am instead getting ... nothing. Nothing at all.
Am I doing something wrong?
I installed the sysmodule.
I installed the `ovlmenu.ovl`, `ovlEdiZon.ovl` and `ovlSysmodules.ovl` files.
I rebooted.
On the homescreen (or even after launching Zelda: BOTW and loading my save), I press L, D-Pad Down and the Right Analogue Stick in.
And nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong T_T
Something is conflicting with this sysmodule.. for me it was the old version of sys-ftpd (you have to use light sys-ftpd instead)... Anyway try removing all but necessary folders from titles/contents and see what causes it. Just to be sure, you can try getting it to work on a fresh atmos and then add all your 3rd party stuff one by one.

Hofure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Something is conflicting with this sysmodule.. for me it was the old version of sys-ftpd (you have to use light sys-ftpd instead)... Anyway try removing all but necessary folders from titles/contents and see what causes it. Just to be sure, you can try getting it to work on a fresh atmos and then add all your 3rd party stuff one by one.

Hmm, I don't use sys-ftpd. I only installed sys-ftpd-light yesterday actually, as FTPD (standalone app) wasn't working for me anymore.
Only things I should have is:
- Game ROMFS files
- Switch Custom Theme
- Sys-clk module
- emuiibo module (not really working properly, but still installed...)
- Sys-con module
- ldm_mitm module

lahma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, great work @WerWolv! This is one of those things that may appear to be a small development upon first glance but it is in fact quite the opposite. This has so much potential for so many different uses and best of all, you've clearly spent a lot of time making it easy for developers to implement and start using very quickly. I was honestly a bit worried that real life had stolen you away from the Switch dev scene (which would obviously be totally reasonable), but it appears that you are still dedicating a lot of your precious time to Switch development if you are suddenly able to drop something like this on us out of nowhere. I cannot wait to see what awaits us in EdiZon 4.0 :D Thanks for all your hard work man!

Reactions: WerWolv

rhpot03

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is awesome, thanks for making this @WerWolv!

I noticed monospace font is missing, and I've been trying build something that loads a font file from romfs written to the ovl. But the romfsInit() call seems to be failing, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. Is it possible to read from romFs in an overlay? Any guidance would be really appreciated!

Last edited by rhpot03,

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hmm, I don't use sys-ftpd. I only installed sys-ftpd-light yesterday actually, as FTPD (standalone app) wasn't working for me anymore.
Only things I should have is:
- Game ROMFS files
- Switch Custom Theme
- Sys-clk module
- emuiibo module (not really working properly, but still installed...)
- Sys-con module
- ldm_mitm module
i have sys-con and sys-clk either so its not them...try removing the theme first, its my bet

kirsan007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! Great job!

Will be nice to have saves management in overlay menu for quick save/load and resolution info (fps, game resolution).
Hope this will be added in next EdiZon relase.

Reactions: chronoss

WerWolv

EdiZon and Tesla Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
This is awesome, thanks for making this @WerWolv!

I noticed monospace font is missing, and I've been trying build something that loads a font file from romfs written to the ovl. But the romfsInit() call seems to be failing, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. Is it possible to read from romFs in an overlay? Any guidance would be really appreciated!

Oh you're right. I added the parameter for monospace fonts but never use it ^^
As for romfs, try to initialize (and later exit) sm before trying to mount the romfs. Otherwise I have to look into it. I was hoping it would just work

wow,
is it possible to implement the framerate?
Thank you! Great job!

Will be nice to have saves management in overlay menu for quick save/load and resolution info (fps, game resolution).
Hope this will be added in next EdiZon relase.

FPS is sadly a bit tricky. It's possible by hooking nvn but that needs more besides just Tesla.
As for quick save and load, I won't be adding that because a) size constraints and b) it can massively fuck up your save files if the game made changes but hasn't committed them yet. That's also the reason I disabled it in edizon

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fucking finally, something were i can monitor temps with without doing a hardmod. Always one of the first things i scream for when a console gets hacked and that it temperature checking and management. We all know by looking at our xbox 360's, PS4's, 3's etc that companies on purpose don't let the fans kick in completely to keep it mostly above 70 degrees wich in theory is not bad but with consoles it is. Pc hardware soldering contains lead while consoles don't at all since it is considered toys by law and not tech. Because of that consoles after the PS2 and xbox were all soldered wich causes cracks in the soldering when extreme cooling happens. Extreme cooling happens when consoles go above 70 degrees and you turn them off causing massive temperature drop that causes cracks and eventually lets the system die. Console brands know of that problem but still let the temperature go above 70 degrees because you'll need to buy a new one eventually because of it. Can easily be avoided if the temperature difference isn't that massive when going from operating temperature to idle like a max of 65 wich for me is the limit on everything. So glad that someone finally brought in some temp monitoring and hopefully because of it, we will finally get some temp management !!! The switch fan hardly goes above 50 percent, i doubt it even goes above 35 percent, even when the exhaust and back feel like scorching hot lava. After reading all the comment, it seems i'm the only one who is exited about temp control. But it is to be expected when you look at all the consoles i own having case modded holes where the fan has a dust meshing cover glued over it and a metal cover on top of it for the finer details wich causes the system to always run a min of 15 degrees cooler than without the case hole mod.
I’ve never been able to get my Switch to go over 60C, but whatever.
Edit: The Switch also forces sleep mode at around 70C iirc

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think a sys-clk implementation within an overlay should be one of the most important things to try now.

Being able to overclock without needing to restart games would be amazing for performance testing!

Would be cool if someone could try making this, I would by I'm not familiar with the tools and don't have the time at to learn :/
Will happily donate tho if someone makes it.

WerWolv

EdiZon and Tesla Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I think a sys-clk implementation within an overlay should be one of the most important things to try now.

Being able to overclock without needing to restart games would be amazing for performance testing!

Would be cool if someone could try making this, I would by I'm not familiar with the tools and don't have the time at to learn :/

Maybe after the sys-clk manager's released ;)

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

You don't need to restart them tho...just press home while in-game and edit your cfg in applet hbl mode in sys-cld editor, then resume playing. But yeah, i completely agree that editing configs on the fly through the overlay would be very cool.

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You don't need to restart them tho...just press home while in-game and edit your cfg in applet hbl mode in sys-cld editor, then resume playing. But yeah, i completely agree that editing configs on the fly through the overlay would be very cool.

Right, I forgot about the album because I normally use the hbl NSP. Still a bit annoying :P

Waltee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@WerWolv As someone that runs CFW online on my Sysnand (no piracy or forwarders involved) does this come with any extra risk of bans over just running Sysclk and Syscon system modules.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: