• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

texas freezes over

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,315
  • Replies 61
  • Likes 5
D

Deleted User

OP
Funny how it changed from global warming to climate change.

Did you know the word gullible is not in the dictionary?

Reactions: BigOnYa

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Al Gore said global warming will melt all the Arctic ice by 2013/2014. I just wanted my warmer Winters! :rofl2:

Though, to be serious, I actually do believe climate change is a thing. You do believe the Ice Age happened, right?

D

Deleted User

OP
Trump backing out of the WHO did not stop Covid from spending futher...is that his fault too.
Trump downplayed the Virus, failed to act as a leader. almost 99% of all covid cases could of been avoided if he acted better.
Getting out of the WHO could be argued as accelerating making it worse. He even admitted he knew he was down playing it. So yeah no, his bad polices and failure to be a leader made it worse.

Trump backed out of the Iran deal...didn't stop Iran from continuing to work on they're nuclear weapons....is that his fault too..
His reaction made the situation a whole lot worse than it already was. If he stayed, future presidents may of been able to leverage the previous good relations and try to back them out. Now they are pissed, and the situation is a lot worse.
You should go ahead and blame your parents and grand parents long before blaming Trump for not signing a paper. Blame him in 20 years or so. The damage right now was caused by actions of people in the past 75-100 years. Not in the past 5 years.
So... Here's the problem with that statement. Presidents are one of the most powerful people no? Able to influence up coming polices and laws no? So... Why should I be angry at my parents or the people not in position in power? 80 years of research was ignored by companies and continued to be ignored. So when idk, a person of power can actually help reduce it, perhaps maybe it's better to be angry, and more effective at the person who decides to reduce progress, and speed up the process/make it worse.

Um... what are you checkmating me on here? Your not a climate change denier. are you? You made yourself look like a damn fool. Climate change and global warming are essentially used for the same thing. It's just that global warming was phased out to encapsulate the fact that it creates unusual weather and doesn't always heat up every area.
Doesn't matter what term I use. It's still happening.

Last edited by ,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trump downplayed the Virus, failed to act as a leader. almost 99% of all covid cases could of been avoided if he acted better.
I do agree the US gov made me lose all the remaining hope I've had in them, because of their handling of Cov19. The 600 dollars felt more like a kick in the groin than a helpful check.

But 99%? Nah. Even if the world had the vaccine already done last March, it still wouldn't have stopped 99% of the cases in the US.

D

Deleted User

OP
I do agree the US gov made me lose all the remaining hope I've had in them, because of their handling of Cov19. The 600 dollars felt more like a kick in the groin than a helpful check.

But 99%? Nah. Even if the world had the vaccine already done last March, it still wouldn't have stopped 99% of the cases in the US.
https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/19/faster-response-prevented-most-us-covid-19-deaths/
this would say other wise. more so deaths, not cases, excuse me. Point still stands however. Trump was a pretty bad failure at protecting people from covid due to his lack of a response.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/19/faster-response-prevented-most-us-covid-19-deaths/
this would say other wise. more so deaths, not cases, excuse me. Point still stands however. Trump was a pretty bad failure at protecting people from covid due to his lack of a response.
I do actually agree that a lot of people could have been saved, but I wouldn't solely blame that on Trump. I blame the entire US gov(including Trump) for being fucking useless. I also blame the WHO for being such ass kissers towards China, and they still are. They should have listened to Taiwan, not China.
I'll never forget this one. The WHO needs a purge badly.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
This isn't a problem of just republicans or democrats, this is a problem with the whole system, dems included.

The fact that big corporate towers get to keep their lights on but we don't shows where our country's priorities stand.

Obviously work should be done to prevent climate change, but until we stop putting corporations first our country will never get there and we will all freeze to death in the cold while CEOs drink champagne in their warm and well-lit towers.

Nothing is urgent to our government until it hurts corporate profit

Last edited by Seliph,
D

Deleted User

OP
This isn't a problem of just republicans or democrats, this is a problem with the whole system, dems included.

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1361803164886835201

The fact that big corporate towers get to keep their lights on but we don't shows where our country's priorities stand.

Obviously work should be done to prevent climate change, but until we stop putting corporations first our country will never get there.
could of never, ever said it better myself.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I do actually agree that a lot of people could have been saved, but I wouldn't solely blame that on Trump. I blame the entire US gov(including Trump) for being fucking useless. I also blame the WHO for being such ass kissers towards China, and they still are. They should have listened to Taiwan, not China.
I'll never forget this one. The WHO needs a purge badly.
Well then it could be argued that would be another reason for the states to be in the WHO. Since they could of came up with more scrutiny with the results before it got sent out. Even then, I still heavily blame Trump. He knew it back in January. other states didn't react until march. that's 2 months, worth of time. may not sound like a lot, but when it's something exponential . States can only do so much. And even then, Trump also admitted he didn't do anything so it would hurt blue states more (since that's where cases initially started)
I wish I was kidding, but it is real. No person on earth should be negligent like that due to party affiliation, it's a garbage stance.

Last edited by ,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Climate change, or specifically global warming, will increase the frequency of climate-based natural disasters. It's a settled scientific topic, but politicians don't make a habit of understanding or promoting science, much less helping out the people most hurt by it. My sympathies for all those who are having to suffer through this. Been there, not fun.

Climate change is the term scientist use and has been around for quite a while. It is a term used to describe how, when, where, why climates changes/has changed over eras and eons. It is not limited to the current situation we're in. It is important to understand those aspects of earth's history in order to understand what's happening now.

Global warming is a descriptor of the trend of some activities producing a heat-trapping feedback loop. It is climate change, just a certain type of one. We are currently in a heat feed-back loop of our own creation, and the evidence supports this. Call it whatever you'd like.

This is my understanding, though could probably be a bit more pithy.

Last edited by osaka35,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have to (partially) side with the critics here.

For comparison : we've had a sudden cold wave in Belgium as well. In just three or four days it went to minus seven to minus ten degrees Celsius. It wasn't fun, but even though unusually fast there were no problems(1).

Thing is : it's about climate. Sudden changes in the weather indeed are more likely, but you can't just point to bad weather and say 'see? I told you so!'. That'll have to happen in about ten years, with statistics proving that phenomenons like these happened more.
... Which is not really likely since even though Trump signed off on Parise accord (California, but I honestly think Texas was among those as well) basically said 'screw that, we're keeping our local policies in accordance with it'.
And since Biden just rejoined in like day 1,that as the best move all along.

Either way... At this point, I don't think the discussion should be about that. There's a large problem now, and it needs to be fixed now. And pointing at the previous president is for blame isn't helping.

(1)the rise afterward as even more sudden, BTW (like ten degrees Celsius warmer in just two days... And it looks to be going to be around 20 degrees different by the end of the week).

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Texas was warned multiple times in the last couple decades that their energy infrastructure was not sufficiently insulated against extreme cold, but the state leadership apparently thought they knew better because, "it never gets that cold here." Regardless, they fully privatized and deregulated their energy pipeline in 2007, and nobody should be surprised that corners get cut when the profit motive is involved to that degree.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos

World temperature globally is warming - which leads to alterations in the water flow table which leads to a weaker jet stream, which leads to more extreme weather events.

So warmer summers, and colder winters (in our latitudes) at the same time:
https://www.dw.com/en/cold-winter-global-warming-polar-vortex/a-56534450

Global warming always only referred to the global mean temperature rising. So no one went back on their word - even though you are lying that they did.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should go ahead and blame your parents and grand parents long before blaming Trump for not signing a paper. Blame him in 20 years or so. The damage right now was caused by actions of people in the past 75-100 years. Not in the past 5 years.

Who do you blame for the River Thames freezing over, thick enough to set up kiosks for business, drive horse-drawn carriages, and hold "Frost Fairs," during the Little Ice Age?

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
“the market prices on the power grid spiked more than 10,000 percent on Monday in the aftermath of the deep freeze. Prices skyrocketed to more than $9,000 per megawatt-hour—compared to the pre-storm prices of less than $50 per hour.”

Yup as we say in TX” less government is good”... without those pesky government regulations, the power company could charge 10,000x increase in national emergencies...

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
“the market prices on the power grid spiked more than 10,000 percent on Monday in the aftermath of the deep freeze. Prices skyrocketed to more than $9,000 per megawatt-hour—compared to the pre-storm prices of less than $50 per hour.”

Yup as we say in TX” less government is good”... without those pesky government regulations, the power company could charge 10,000x increase in national emergencies...
Yea that is BS.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://youtu.be/9FcXxqthgUM?feature=shared&t=169