• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

texas freezes over

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,313
  • Replies 61
  • Likes 5

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Here the Local News in Tx explaining the news

How will my electric bill be impacted? Whether you lost power or not, Texans could see higher bills
29,000 customers are fully exposed to wholesale power markets that soared Monday.

plus some small businesses already saw $300 bills for one day
FUUUUUUCK that. I'd be demanding free heat and power for the next three months after this shitshow, but I'm sure Texas' "free market" will ensure that corporations and their executives stay free from accountability.

Last edited by Xzi,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
FUUUUUUCK that. I'd be demanding free heat and power for the next three months after this shitshow, but I'm sure Texas' "free market" will ensure that corporations and their executives stay free from accountability.
FEMA will likely help cover the costs for the average Joe. My water bill (I’m dripping faucets to prevent broken pipes) is currently at $250 for the past 3 days of use.

FWIW my electricity rates, and the average inner city Houstonian are locked in. Those are smaller incidents and while crappy, are not widespread afaik.

Inherently political or not, there’s a lot of crap being spouted by everyone everywhere. Here’s some good ol Texas opinions.

The grid/ERCOT stuff is stupid. Yes. Absolutely, but Texas has always relied on being a big bad lone star state. The people are always going to vote towards keeping Texas independent even if it’s against the states best interest. It’s a mentality. It’s not something that will be solved easily. Most will still likely maintain a Texas-first ideal even after this.

Blaming the people is moronic. Saying “hurrdurr it’s just an inch of snow!!!!” Is equally stupid. Imagine if you live in Michigan, and suddenly it was 125F out of nowhere. You would not be equipped to deal with that kind of weather. You’d keel over because wtf “I’m not used to this, whats happening”?!?!? No Texan is going to own heavy winter coats. I’ve lived here my entire life and Houston Texas has gotten below 32F and stayed below freezing for a day only three times in the last 25 years. Our winters are like, 50F at the coldest.

Republicans shoulder most of the blame but if you don’t think both sides are at fault, you’re blind. Our democrat mayor is running around begging people to not drip their water. Guess what? All my neighbors pipes burst because they trusted the idiot to tell them the best advice. Thanks mister mayor. He also let downtown glow while everyone had no power. Our governor is republican and stupid too. He’s the one who appointed the ERCOT idiots. It’s a grand collection of both political sides being retards.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes, both sides are bad. This is definitely equally caused by everybody involved. :rolleyes:
I literally just said the Rs are mostly to blame for this, broski. :glare:If you want to go around in circles blaming one side, then that's fine, yeah. But those that made the big decisions should be held accountable, not just the republicans. Obviously, Texas is skewed towards having more of them making bad decisions regarding this, but there are plenty of democrats that need to be spotlighted for their share of the insanity going on. No one seems to want to even DARE frown at people making bad choices if they're a democrat. Why not?

The main state government that lead to this is all republican, but the major cities such as Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston are all democrat. You're telling me they're all innocent? Heads should be rolling over what Turner's said thus far.

Regardless, Abbot needs to be kicked to the curb.

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FEMA will likely help cover the costs for the average Joe. My water bill (I’m dripping faucets to prevent broken pipes) is currently at $250 for the past 3 days of use.

FWIW my electricity rates, and the average inner city Houstonian are locked in. Those are smaller incidents and while crappy, are not widespread afaik.

Inherently political or not, there’s a lot of crap being spouted by everyone everywhere. Here’s some good ol Texas opinions.

The grid/ERCOT stuff is stupid. Yes. Absolutely, but Texas has always relied on being a big bad lone star state. The people are always going to vote towards keeping Texas independent even if it’s against the states best interest. It’s a mentality. It’s not something that will be solved easily. Most will still likely maintain a Texas-first ideal even after this.

Blaming the people is moronic. Saying “hurrdurr it’s just an inch of snow!!!!” Is equally stupid. Imagine if you live in Michigan, and suddenly it was 125F out of nowhere. You would not be equipped to deal with that kind of weather. You’d keel over because wtf “I’m not used to this, whats happening”?!?!? No Texan is going to own heavy winter coats. I’ve lived here my entire life and Houston Texas has gotten below 32F and stayed below freezing for a day only three times in the last 25 years. Our winters are like, 50F at the coldest.

Republicans shoulder most of the blame but if you don’t think both sides are at fault, you’re blind. Our democrat mayor is running around begging people to not drip their water. Guess what? All my neighbors pipes burst because they trusted the idiot to tell them the best advice. Thanks mister mayor. He also let downtown glow while everyone had no power. Our governor is republican and stupid too. He’s the one who appointed the ERCOT idiots. It’s a grand collection of both political sides being retards.
Hey Chary, as a Texan. What would you think of Texas separating from the US? It's an idea that my fam had been kicking around just as a "what if" scenerio. Apparently, Abbott has been stocking up on emergency funds, so I think we might be able to handle it economically, but I'm not big on politics so I'm not sure how that would play out politically.

Regardless I don't know why I keep clicking on this thread. It's just people being mad at people for holding beliefs that aren't theirs. Politics are dumb.

Last edited by SecureBoot,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Our democrat mayor is running around begging people to not drip their water. Guess what? All my neighbors pipes burst because they trusted the idiot to tell them the best advice. Thanks mister mayor. He also let downtown glow while everyone had no power. Our governor is republican and stupid too.
I don't think the mayor has any control over who gets power at this time, what with statewide privatization of the energy infrastructure. The rich areas of town still have power because their infrastructure is newer and better (they're favored by the corporations). The no-drip thing is kinda stupid, but there's no guarantee the pipes wouldn't have burst anyway with that kind of rapid temperature decrease. The vast majority of the blame falls on whoever has been there longest, since they ignored repeated warnings about insufficient insulation. And while that may not be the current mayor or governor, it is definitely the GOP en masse when it comes to Texas.

Last edited by Xzi,

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the mayor has any control over who gets power at this time, what with statewide privatization of the energy infrastructure. The rich areas of town still have power because their infrastructure is newer and better (they're favored by the corporations). The no-drip thing is kinda stupid, but there's no guarantee the pipes wouldn't have burst anyway with that kind of rapid temperature decrease. The vast majority of the blame falls on whoever has been there longest, since they ignored repeated warnings about insufficient insulation. And while that may not be the current mayor or governor, it is definitely the GOP en masse when it comes to Texas.
I'm not sure where you are in Texas, but the rich areas near me are out of power too.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey Chary, as a Texan. What would you think of Texas separating from the US? It's an idea that my fam had been kicking around just as a "what if" scenerio. Apparently, Abbott has been stocking up on emergency funds, so I think we might be able to handle it economically, but I'm not big on politics so I'm not sure how that would play out politically.
I wouldn't trust Abbott with a penny, let alone control of the entire state of Texas. :(

Every since I was a kid, when I was in grade school, kids always were like "hah we could go back to being our own country!!!! suck it USA!!!!" and yeah, deep down, I love the concept lol. Lone Star State 4eva.

I'm not going to pretend I know enough about politics to say whether or not we'd make it on our own, but I think the costs of operating outside of America would kill the whole "Republic of Texas" real quick. Emergency funds or not. I don't think we're future-proof enough at this point, either. I'd say Texas would have the best shot at breaking off IF it had to happen, though.

The mayor was the one who, after letting Downtown Houston run rampant with buildings that had no one occupying them for days, got that shut down to help with the power consumption. Moreso, it was because our county judge harassed him to do it, honestly. One of the few good people to rely on lol. He definitely dropped the ball there.

I definitely agree though. The GOP has 99% to do with most of this, but I want to make sure people realize that some of the democrats here are known for their failures, too. They did the exact same during Harvey and I don't want to watch this keep happening. It's frustrating that people defend the people who failed us just because they lean one political side or another.

As for the rich areas, I will say, West University, named America's Best (read: richest) City, lost power for just as much time as say, the poorest districts in Houston. Their infrastructure is just as outdated, for electric grid crap. It's the flooding prevention that they're much more better off than us on.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of mayors, one of them resigned.
Tim Boyd, now-former mayor of Colorado City, Texas. He posted a Facebook rant about how "only the strong will survive," and people should quit "looking for a damn handout." Lovely.

Meanwhile, Ted Cruz just doing Ted Cruz things.

cohdneakc9i61.jpg

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed

Those same people are probably the ones who freaked out during a tiny east coast Earthquake 10 years ago. I would know, as I was in one of the affected areas. I just remember my computer monitor shaking for 10 seconds and going wtf? If people living in California/Japan seen the panic over a tiny Earthquake, they'd probably laugh at us.

30f to me is like nothing, I can probably just wear a jacket in it. If it became 30f in Manila, Philippines, you'd have people freezing to death, and mass panic. They don't even have radiators in their home, lol.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, just remembered this.

Reactions: BigOnYa and Chary

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Why we making this political, I'm living through this crap down here in Texas. It sucks not having water and getting hit by rolling blackouts
Because it IS political. The Texas power grid in question was privatized for profits, instead of regulated like the rest. Now Texans are paying for their fucked-up leader's fuck-up. The state Legislature is controlled by Republicans. Their power grid failure was caused by deregulation and the failure of private corporations to invest capital in their infrastructure.

EucRaZ9WQAYDcLT.jpg

Last edited by Jayro,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Because it IS political. The Texas power grid in question was privatized for profits, instead of regulated like the rest. Now Texans are paying for their fucked-up leader's fuck-up. The state Legislature is controlled by Republicans. Their power grid failure was caused by deregulation and the failure of private corporations to invest capital in their infrastructure.

View attachment 247232
I think the reason people are upset that it’s “being politicized” is because Texans are sitting at home suffering and everyone’s first reaction is to start getting into political arguments as we freeze to death. This is happening because of bad choices made by politicians, yes, clearly, but for the little guy sitting at home with no water or power and their pets freezing, it’s like “pls help me first, then fight later”. This is, at least, going off the general attitude I’ve seen around here in my area. Some people on social media are even blaming Texans for “letting” this happen to themselves. That’s incredibly rude and awful to begin with, but it’s even worse to say to the most prideful state lol.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't trust Abbott with a penny, let alone control of the entire state of Texas. :(

Every since I was a kid, when I was in grade school, kids always were like "hah we could go back to being our own country!!!! suck it USA!!!!" and yeah, deep down, I love the concept lol. Lone Star State 4eva.

I'm not going to pretend I know enough about politics to say whether or not we'd make it on our own, but I think the costs of operating outside of America would kill the whole "Republic of Texas" real quick. Emergency funds or not. I don't think we're future-proof enough at this point, either. I'd say Texas would have the best shot at breaking off IF it had to happen, though.

The mayor was the one who, after letting Downtown Houston run rampant with buildings that had no one occupying them for days, got that shut down to help with the power consumption. Moreso, it was because our county judge harassed him to do it, honestly. One of the few good people to rely on lol. He definitely dropped the ball there.

I definitely agree though. The GOP has 99% to do with most of this, but I want to make sure people realize that some of the democrats here are known for their failures, too. They did the exact same during Harvey and I don't want to watch this keep happening. It's frustrating that people defend the people who failed us just because they lean one political side or another.

As for the rich areas, I will say, West University, named America's Best (read: richest) City, lost power for just as much time as say, the poorest districts in Houston. Their infrastructure is just as outdated, for electric grid crap. It's the flooding prevention that they're much more better off than us on.
yeah, neither side is exactly spotless atm (or ever has been- from what I've read, the parties prior to various flavors of pull-them-rightward bs like the Southern Strategy consisted of the republicans being whatever the fuck they were at the moment and the democrats somehow being a hard-right trainwreck)
I'm just proud to side with the ones that aren't actively making these situations as bad as they can *shrug*
and like
no matter the state, the idea of X state seceding and becoming its own nation sounds fundamentally cool on paper (especially since the US is basically just a sack of fifty-ish (-ish because Puerto Rico absolutely fucking counts and there's honestly no reason for it to lack statehood) tiny countries that bundled together to get into the global big kids table)...
but there's no way it'd work out imo
like even texas, which is definitely the most a) plausibly likely to survive seceding and b) plausibly likely TO secede, probably wouldn't survive for long
each state relies on other states as well as the nation as a whole

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[confession] I have streaked in the snow once. And once is enough. My feet froze hard, and then blistered open a bit when they thawed out. Thank god my other parts faired well. :blush:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They help you delete some incriminating videos?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No you asked for proof that your wife was finally leaving
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh I had her chipped, I always know where she is.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I found where it was
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    If I could halucinAte this is what I imagine it would look like?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Featuring Taylor swift
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, pubg should've never blown up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut do you mean? Pubg is alright, I play it with a few buddies online.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the game itself is ok, but it's influence is the problem
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Call of duty is a good Fortnite skin
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    call of duty and fortnite, ex-fucking-actly
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    without pubg popping off, fortnite wouldn't add battle royale, and call of duty wouldn't go even shittier than it did before because of blackout, warzone and dmz
    Make a porn based spoof of it, Pube G
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just play My Pony online. Its better than Fortnight or COD.
    FPS porn games sound fun lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Call of duty got close with that by using Nikkie Minaj
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    -Bonus- Faceshot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    5 killstreak call in the gangbang
    +1
    Still enjoying Bad Ass Babes lol
    Legit a super solid beat em up
    The special moves are hilarious
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Introducing the most anticipated 1p v 4p game of the year - COCC (Call of couch casting)
  • RetroNerdGamer @ RetroNerdGamer:
    isnt that just gal gun
    RetroNerdGamer @ RetroNerdGamer: isnt that just gal gun