• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Texas now requiring everyone (with few exceptions) to wear a mask

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Figured u would not prove they r bullshit sources
I said I already did. Plus, that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Let's keep it on topic.

Here, I'll show you how....

I knew Texas would do something like this after hearing about all the liberals running from California and moving there because their policies and way of life destroyed California. Now they are trying to convert Texas into the same mess they ran from. SMH
My state is also doing this, and I'm sure it has to do with the Democrat governor we elected to get rid of the RINO's that had taken over our state.

Reactions: KingVamp

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said I already did. Plus, that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Let's keep it on topic.

Here, I'll show you how....

I knew Texas would do something like this after hearing about all the liberals running from California and moving there because their policies and way of life destroyed California. Now they are trying to convert Texas into the same mess they ran from. SMH
My state is also doing this, and I'm sure it has to do with the Democrat governor we elected to get rid of the RINO's that had taken over our state.
That still does not prove the sources r bullshit

Reactions: yikkyon

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
How is that a solution? If you already have limited monetary means, how is staying home ever going to improve the situation?
Grocery stores here are giving masks to people who walk in without them, and many retail shops will happily give masks if you ask. I've only been to four stores since February, but three of them were handing out masks (a plant nursery, HEB grocery, comic book store)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Better late than never, though this is VERY late. Almost all of the ICUs in Texas' largest cities are 100% filled to capacity.

Go placebo measures I guess.
I'd expect a little more common sense from you FAST. More masks means less spittle flying everywhere from sneezing/coughing/talking/etc. Of course keeping a distance of 6 feet from others is a more effective measure when taken in isolation, but there's no harm in adding an extra layer of protection, especially given that distancing isn't always an option.

Somehow I doubt you'd be as willing or eager to tell a room full of doctors, nurses, and surgeons that masks do nothing to keep their patients alive. Spreading this kind of misinformation is irresponsible.

Last edited by Xzi,
D

Deleted User

You're confusing Japan with China. People here wear mask to prevent spread to other people when they are sick.
i know a weeb that wore a mask only because people in japan wore masks, this was like 7 years ago

Reactions: yikkyon

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd expect a little more common sense from you FAST. More masks means less spittle flying everywhere from sneezing/coughing/talking/etc. Of course keeping a distance of 6 feet from others is a more effective measure when taken in isolation, but there's no harm in adding an extra layer of protection, especially given that distancing isn't always an option.

Somehow I doubt you'd be as willing or eager to tell a room full of doctors, nurses, and surgeons that masks do nothing to keep their patients alive. Spreading this kind of misinformation is irresponsible.

If everybody had properly made masks (plus the rest of the gear) and wore them properly (it has been highly amusing to watch the police around the world the last however many months, and going further I have had to teach people to use them when playing grinder or demolitions, and know medics that have to teach other medics... it is hard) they might protect themselves or marginally influence their transmissions to others for this.

Medics tend to have proper gear (medics that want to protect themselves look rather different than wrapping a sock around their face, though actually a sock might be better than most masks I see) and proper usage beaten into them, and a medic vector is also worse for other reasons.

You ask for additional harms. Expense is a harm (be it disposable or washing), psychological toll is a harm, "I am protected" and "I am not going to bother others" when really not is a harm.

If people want to wear one then make it a good one or enjoy your placebo (or worse). If some private business wants to add it to the no shirt, no shoes then whatever (I would probably still laugh at them) but mandating things without a baseline in either quality or education I would consider beyond what can really be justified.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If everybody had properly made masks (plus the rest of the gear) and wore them properly (it has been highly amusing to watch the police around the world the last however many months, and going further I have had to teach people to use them when playing grinder or demolitions, and know medics that have to teach other medics... it is hard) they might protect themselves or marginally influence their transmissions to others for this.

Medics tend to have proper gear (medics that want to protect themselves look rather different than wrapping a sock around their face, though actually a sock might be better than most masks I see) and proper usage beaten into them, and a medic vector is also worse for other reasons.

You ask for additional harms. Expense is a harm (be it disposable or washing), psychological toll is a harm, "I am protected" and "I am not going to bother others" when really not is a harm.

If people want to wear one then make it a good one or enjoy your placebo (or worse). If some private business wants to add it to the no shirt, no shoes then whatever (I would probably still laugh at them) but mandating things without a baseline in either quality or education I would consider beyond what can really be justified.
I have seen plenty of elderly or otherwise vulnerable folks wearing medical-grade N95 masks, and I would very much recommend that for those populations. The rest of us can make do just fine with any sort of fabric covering. Of course it's not going to entirely mitigate the risk of contracting the virus, which is why social distancing is still recommended/required in some areas in ADDITION to masks, but it does reduce your "spray" from 4-5 feet on average down to about 1-2 feet. Thus using the word "placebo" to describe the effect of masks is simply asinine.

Where education is concerned, much of the US population is vehemently anti-science and vehemently opposed to any form of higher education. The closest thing they get to continued education is 8 hours a day of Fox News, so I'm thankful that even they're finally starting to pivot to a pro-mask stance.

Last edited by Xzi,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen plenty of elderly or otherwise vulnerable folks wearing medical-grade N95 masks, and I would very much recommend that for those populations. The rest of us can make do just fine with any sort of fabric covering. Of course it's not going to entirely mitigate the risk of contracting the virus, which is why social distancing is still recommended/required in some areas in ADDITION to masks, but it does reduce your "spray" from 4-5 feet on average down to about 1-2 feet. Thus using the word "placebo" to describe the effect of masks is simply asinine.

If you can get actual ones that play at such levels then great, especially if you can actually use one (most won't) and do so other stuff. I have such toys (better actually) if I cared but I am saving those for my purposes (that being my next grinding or demo job, not walking the dog).

If placebo so offends your sensibilities then enjoy your marginal mitigation (possibly even impact increasing in some cases) then.

Also might want to look up anatomy of a sneeze (or take a sip of some nice coloured liquid and go sneeze/cough parallel to a wall)... 4-5 feet is rather an underestimate, especially if it is stuff people are going to be handling. Try it with said sock as well if you want.

Or if you prefer efficacy of a medical approach also considers compliance with the measure (if someone won't take their pills at the proper intervals to ensure a dose, lose the weight, give up booze, properly dress the wound...) and that is where my misgivings come in. Turn the world into medics or mechanics and give them all proper gear and positive effects to outweigh the negatives (probably also want to ensure testing actually makes it to useful levels, and you have a reasonable ability to do the whole contact tracing bit) might well happen, as it stands I am dubious.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If placebo so offends your sensibilities then enjoy your marginal mitigation (possibly even impact increasing in some cases) then.
It doesn't "offend my sensibilities," it's just horse shit, and we've got enough of that on the internet as-is.

Also might want to look up anatomy of a sneeze (or take a sip of some nice coloured liquid and go sneeze/cough parallel to a wall)... 4-5 feet is rather an underestimate, especially if it is stuff people are going to be handling. Try it with said sock as well if you want.
Well, the recommendations are what they are for a reason: 6 feet is TYPICALLY enough to keep you out of range, and the purpose of a mask is for those edge cases where it isn't enough (or where distancing isn't possible).

Last edited by Xzi,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't "offend my sensibilities," it's just horse shit, and we've got enough of that on the internet as-is.

Well, the recommendations are what they are for a reason: 6 feet is TYPICALLY enough to keep you out of range, and the purpose of a mask is for those edge cases where it isn't enough (or where distancing isn't possible).

So a medic or otherwise trained individual that uses a most likely decent mask properly has positive results. Fantastic.

"TYPICALLY"
So now we are into probabilities and implementation. At last we can have something interesting to discuss.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So a medic or otherwise trained individual that uses a most likely decent mask properly has positive results. Fantastic.
The mask he's wearing is available at every Walgreen's/Wal-Mart across the country, it's hardly any better than a piece of tissue paper, and it's definitely not N95 grade.

"TYPICALLY"
So now we are into probabilities and implementation. At last we can have something interesting to discuss.
Yes, typically. You can see the results in the tweet 6 feet away while maskless for yourself. That small amount of growth shows you're very unlikely to infect somebody at that distance, but it'd be foolish to say distancing alone is 100% effective in preventing infection. For the sake of argument I'd even say wearing a mask AND distancing is only about 98% effective at preventing infection, but that's still 98% better than people going about their daily lives as if COVID never existed.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't America established to escape the ridiculous and unjust laws and taxes of the British empire?
And now everyone is following this ridiculous and unjust law without a second thought.

My sheep alarm is going off.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't America established to escape the ridiculous and unjust laws and taxes of the British empire?
And now everyone is following this ridiculous and unjust law without a second thought.

My sheep alarm is going off.

Sheep?

My bs alarm is going off.

I consider it being a good neighbor. You don't want to get others sick do you? Just wear the mask and we won't have to deal with another shutdown.

Reactions: Chary and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sheep?

My bs alarm is going off.

I consider it being a good neighbor. You don't want to get others sick do you? Just wear the mask and we won't have to deal with another shutdown.
The craziest part about all this is that Japan basically never had any sort of shutdown, their unemployment rate never went above 2.6%, and they've had less than 1,000 COVID deaths. How? They all (or about 99%) wear masks. They also didn't have to deal with fucking idiots politicizing a virus, but that further plays into the mask thing.

Last edited by Xzi,

Jayinem81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are members of Texas government that are mad at Gov Abbott for saying this because he said it without any meeting with them (it is not a law as of now, it is just a strong suggestion from the governor really)

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
The craziest part about all this is that Japan basically never had any sort of shutdown, their unemployment rate never went above 2.6%, and they've had less than 1,000 COVID deaths. How? They all (or about 99%) wear masks. They also didn't have to deal with fucking idiots politicizing a virus, but that further plays into the mask thing.

The mask thing has been apart of their culture since the early 1900's as far as I can tell. I think the western world, doubly including Americans can learn a thing or 2 from that mindset. Just be a good neighbor.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6aie4t8lZ7k&pp=ygUuaSBhbSBub3QgZ2F5IGJ1dCAyMCBkb2xsYXJzIGlzIDIwIGRv... +1