Text based game

gdavies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know how many people would remember this but back in the 80's 90's you used to be able to buy a book that would give an introduction on the first page and then say something along the lines.

You are stood in the middle of a cross road path, on the right it leads into a forest, turn to page 5 to turn right
On the left looks a empty footpath that seems to go on into the distance, turn to page 9 to turn left
Straight on is a road to a big castle with guards at the gate, turn to page 15 to go straight forward.

You would end up hitting most pages in the book but ended up been great fun.

Well here is an idea, who would like to create a website version of the idea.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

gdavies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did only join the forum today so still finding my way around it, I think it would be kinda fun to do a youtube vid on it or even build a website to have fun with the idea

caipora

cheese eating lactose intolerant
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ohh this kind of thing must be cool, the first time i heard about was when Black Mirror: Bandersnatch came out on Netflix.
I have played some PC text adventures, like Oregon Trail, Organ Trail (which is pratically the same as Oregon Trail but zombie themed) and... Does Rogue count as text-based? It's all literal characters lol

gdavies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess it does, I was more thinking if enough of us got involved it could well be a GBAtemp text based games

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You could start a project, get volunteers with writing experience / skills / aspirations, and have each write a chapter/module, and then compile them all into a big choose-your-own adventure in html.

Just an aside, Homestuck started off as an html-based adventure game drawn in MS Paint, and grew into one of the most popular webcomics EVER.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P