The 3DS May Not Die For a While, but...

81i+HSq6KjL._SL1500_.jpg
In an interview with TIME, Reggie Fils-Aime of NoA implied that the 3DS will continue alongside the Switch as a product marketed at younger consumers that want their own personal console. While the 3DS has always been seen as something geared toward a younger audience what with its plethora of family friendly games, this may imply that future games may or may not have the older consumer in mind.

Reggie to TIME said:
The Nintendo Switch, being a system that’s been in the marketplace now only seven months, certainly that’s a system that our teams will continue to develop for and bring fantastic new experiences. We have to do that to keep driving that platform forward. We view the 3DS as a very important part of our lineup, but really targeted against a different consumer. That product is really focused against new consumers in the Nintendo family, [such as] five, six, seven or 10-year olds [who want] their own dedicated system. And a system [on which] they can play all of these great games. So it’s going to have a different focus: entry consumers and consumers looking for a little bit more value.

So that’s how they’re differentiated. There will be new games for the 3DS line, so we’re not in any way stopping our activity for that platform. But it’s just focused on a different type of consumer.

:arrow:Source

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Ca
Good luck getting crapcom to support the 3ds. Now that they're releasing monster Hunter world and the crappy way they've handled monster Hunter on the switch I have a hunch they won't be going back to Nintendo or handheld consoles for a bit. I'd love to be proven wrong on that though.
Capcom isn't even supporting the Switch, so good luck with that...

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's almost as if Nintendo doesn't even pay attention to the current state of the market. Kids in that age group are predominantly playing smartphone/tablet games these days. Those games are what appeal to a generation with an abysmal attention span, and lack of ability to figure out anything without being spoonfed every step of the way. Simple games with repetitive actions that are primarily designed to be timekillers.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well, if it is taking off here in Japan, it’s doing it without a single goddamn system for sale anywhere.

JFC, Nintendo, it’s been eight months! Am I ever going to get one?

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In an interview with TIME, Reggie Fils-Aime of NoA implied that the 3DS will continue alongside the Switch as a product marketed at younger consumers that want their own personal console. While the 3DS has always been seen as something geared toward a younger audience what with its plethora of family friendly games, this may imply that future games may or may not have the older consumer in mind.

:arrow:Source
actually that sums up nintendo all in a nutshell.

nintendo are marketed towards younger consumers, it never really caters for the maturer market, name one mature game nintendo released? and when i say nintendo this does not mean another studio such as third parties or RARE (back in the old days).

it is however funny to see nintendo backtrack its claim that the SWITCH is and will be replacing both HOME and PORTABLE console market, i wonder if thats because SWITCH sales are slowing down, it would be stupid to end a console if its still selling.

but we all know the REAL reason to why nintendo merged two markets into one, and at launch its BS PR claiming best sales is a pack of lies considering 3DS+WII U sales were higher than SWITCH.

but we all know nintendo making one console "should" bring in the same support, guess thats not happening, well not that the 3DS ever had anything great, just shovelware crap.... and we are not seeing much different on the switch

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
actually that sums up nintendo all in a nutshell.

nintendo are marketed towards younger consumers, it never really caters for the maturer market, name one mature game nintendo released? and when i say nintendo this does not mean another studio such as third parties or RARE (back in the old days).

it is however funny to see nintendo backtrack its claim that the SWITCH is and will be replacing both HOME and PORTABLE console market, i wonder if thats because SWITCH sales are slowing down, it would be stupid to end a console if its still selling.

but we all know the REAL reason to why nintendo merged two markets into one, and at launch its BS PR claiming best sales is a pack of lies considering 3DS+WII U sales were higher than SWITCH.

but we all know nintendo making one console "should" bring in the same support, guess thats not happening, well not that the 3DS ever had anything great, just shovelware crap.... and we are not seeing much different on the switch
nintendo released alot of mature games metroid prime series is all but a kids game and we are getting the 4 one on the switch, on gc we had geist,eternal darkness, xenoblade series is everything but a kids game too, they have no idea how to play those games, even loz isnt really a kids game since they would probably never resolve most puzzles.

While nintendo doesnt release mature games often they did release geist and eternal darkness and have series geaed towards older people like metroid prime,xenoblades and zelda, while mario and pokemon are more for the younger audience.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I personally think AAA support will end next year, especially with the announcement in mind that USUM will be the last Pokemon titles on 3DS. But I'm pretty sure third party companies will keep blurting out mediocre games for another year or two.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo released alot of mature games metroid prime series is all but a kids game and we are getting the 4 one on the switch, on gc we had geist,eternal darkness, xenoblade series is everything but a kids game too, they have no idea how to play those games, even loz isnt really a kids game since they would probably never resolve most puzzles.

While nintendo doesnt release mature games often they did release geist and eternal darkness and have series geaed towards older people like metroid prime,xenoblades and zelda, while mario and pokemon are more for the younger audience.

METROID not exactly a mature game really, also noting that it had been ignored since the CUBE, the 3DS versions are not exactly "MATURE", its now getting #4 after all these years.

and i think you are mistaking PUBLISHER with DEVELOPER, nintendo PUBLISH ALL its games, they charge devs a license fee to PUBLISH games on their consoles.

so sorry but:
GEIST was developed by N-Space.... also another old cube title..... good example to counter my comment that clearly stated (good old days)
Xenoblade...... again not developed by, published by nintendo, the actual company behind this is Monolith Soft.
Eternal Darkness was Silicone Knights

Nintendo have always lacked games marketed towards the mature market.

Reactions: Bowl0l

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is full of shit, but they still kind of have a hold on me. I have continued to buy some 3DS games after being banned, though mainly ones that don't rely on online and I would have supported anyway such as Metroid. Also, the SNES Classic, which ridiculously is just luck of the draw to even have the option to buy.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
METROID not exactly a mature game really, also noting that it had been ignored since the CUBE, the 3DS versions are not exactly "MATURE", its now getting #4 after all these years.

and i think you are mistaking PUBLISHER with DEVELOPER, nintendo PUBLISH ALL its games, they charge devs a license fee to PUBLISH games on their consoles.

so sorry but:
GEIST was developed by N-Space.... also another old cube title..... good example to counter my comment that clearly stated (good old days)
Xenoblade...... again not developed by, published by nintendo, the actual company behind this is Monolith Soft.
Eternal Darkness was Silicone Knights

Nintendo have always lacked games marketed towards the mature market.
monolith soft is owned by nintendo incase you didnt know, nintendo has been the major shareolder of it for quite some time.

The game Geist was a second-party project, developed in cooperation with Nintendo by n space, for your logic i guess hd remakes of zelda games and even metroid samus returns is not a nintendo game because they were colaborated projets?

Eternal darkness rights are owned by nintendo wich makes it a nintendo game, doesnt matter if the game was covdeveloped or not nintendo owns the rights for geist,eternal darkness and owns monolight soft for quite some time too.

Reactions: Bowl0l

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As shown in this official picture from Nintendo their 3DS support is effectively done by early 2018 (with Atlus's re-releases of Radiant Historia and SMT: Strange Journey w/Kirby Battle Royale right before that in January).

3305692_switch_games_year_1.jpg

Just taking a quick look over at Gamefaqs, it looks like Atlus has a few more releases (including The Alliance Alive in addition to the two already mentioned) but at the end of March there's no announcements for anything past then in the US/EU.

There will be a trickle of games still coming out, but as Nintendo has already shown they're doing nothing more then remaking already existing games to reduce production costs all around, and I think that's going to continue from here on as long as sales of software dictate it worthwhile. I don't know of anything rumored or announced still for the 3DS that people are waiting on that still could happen.

Depending on sales of hardware/software this holiday season as well as sales of software in early 2018, I think effectively holiday 2018 will be the swan song of the 3DS (based on what I'm seeing) and the system will be effectively dead by 2019 with a few stragglers and some shovelware releases through 2019 before no one even bothers to keep developing for it.

Edit: Depending on sales, Level 5 might release Yokai Watch 3 in the US before 3DS expires, but I don't follow childrens' show and how well it's doing at retail and such, also them releasing too many games too soon, wasn't great for the brand, but this is still a possibility going forward and would be one of the last big releases next year.

Nintendo has already signaled they're going full speed ahead w/the switch enjoy the last few things they're going to give (Samus Returns / Mario & Luigi) but I think the best days of the 3DS are already behind it. (even when stalwart supporters like Atlus are carting out re-makes you know the end is near).

Last edited by mario5555,
Reactions: DrkBeam

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This reminds me of that whole "three pillars" talk back when only a few more GBA titles were yet to be released. Hopefully that won't be the case here.

Granted the DS turned out to be something of a surprise (it was a bit touch and go there for a while after all) and in its place we have... the switch, and a whole lot of competition.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monolith soft is owned by nintendo incase you didnt know, nintendo has been the major shareolder of it for quite some time.

The game Geist was a second-party project, developed in cooperation with Nintendo by n space, for your logic i guess hd remakes of zelda games and even metroid samus returns is not a nintendo game because they were colaborated projets?

Eternal darkness rights are owned by nintendo wich makes it a nintendo game, doesnt matter if the game was covdeveloped or not nintendo owns the rights for geist,eternal darkness and owns monolight soft for quite some time too.
we are not talking about a console game, that is the difference, we were talking about the company who makes the game, nintendo publish, not create said games you mentioned.

example, GRAN TURISMO is a game created by SONY.

UNCHARTED is not a game created by SONY.

So again, we are and never were talking about who owns the rights, the fact we made here is that NINTENDO mainly always cater its games for KIDS, its been a long time since nintendo released anything aimed towards the marketed towards MATURE market.

if/when they do, its a game developed by someone else or third parties...... again NINTENDO PUBLISH/LICENSE ALL its games, this doesnt mean they CREATED them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    BBQ'd 🦆
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also i'm sorry your molten lava cakes failed
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    just looked up a pic of texas sheet cake, and it looks delicious
    +1
    🌋 Science Project?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i think i might need to try making lava cakes for the 4th of july fr
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I used butter instead of vegetable oil, and think that's why they squirted out during baking, who knows
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah i think oil is the right call
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    plus if you're making brownies or lava cakes for people with dairy allergies, you should use oil instead of butter anyway
    +2
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @BakerMan Make me a space cake plz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I make rum cake for 4th July every year, I make it a week prior and then soak it in rum in the fridge all week. I flip the cake each day, and add little more rum, it soaks it up everyday, so good.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry, idk what you mean by a space cake, and even if i did, i'm not really taking requests right now, because otherwise people will get mad at me for taking a request but not making a birthday cake for @Xdqwerty (i'm sorry for that btw bro)
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @BakerMan lies, you just want to smoke it

:rofl2:
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess all the food in my fridge can knock out a cow or two
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I should visit Florida again, miss the alligator barbecues
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.