The 3DS May Not Die For a While, but...

81i+HSq6KjL._SL1500_.jpg
In an interview with TIME, Reggie Fils-Aime of NoA implied that the 3DS will continue alongside the Switch as a product marketed at younger consumers that want their own personal console. While the 3DS has always been seen as something geared toward a younger audience what with its plethora of family friendly games, this may imply that future games may or may not have the older consumer in mind.

Reggie to TIME said:
The Nintendo Switch, being a system that’s been in the marketplace now only seven months, certainly that’s a system that our teams will continue to develop for and bring fantastic new experiences. We have to do that to keep driving that platform forward. We view the 3DS as a very important part of our lineup, but really targeted against a different consumer. That product is really focused against new consumers in the Nintendo family, [such as] five, six, seven or 10-year olds [who want] their own dedicated system. And a system [on which] they can play all of these great games. So it’s going to have a different focus: entry consumers and consumers looking for a little bit more value.

So that’s how they’re differentiated. There will be new games for the 3DS line, so we’re not in any way stopping our activity for that platform. But it’s just focused on a different type of consumer.

:arrow:Source

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the 20 year run applies to the Japanese Famicom. Even so, the LAST officially licensed Famicom game was Adventure Island 4 which was released in 1994, 11 years after the console's release (although Nintendo's Wario's Woods was Nintendo's last release that same year). After that Nintendo still produced the console and also the spare parts for it even though NO games were being released for it until 2003 and stopped offering repairs in 2007.

Wasn't just the japan units. The US and PAL units of the nes and snes still had repair services and spare parts produced too. Their claim was it was too costly to keep producing them. Without the repair areas and production lines of those systems, they were able to start producing more 3DSes. As those old lines ran until 2012ish outside of japan.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
DSi 1.4.5, eh? :)

AFAIK only "support" lasted until 2003, and that was since they were running out of parts... while multicart "developers" "supported" it software side at least until this decade :P

My opinion is that the Switch is as portable as listening to music with a tablet on the bus... The battery life is also lame, but so it was on all Nintendo products since current gen
Well, that's comparing apples to oranges. You didn't buy the switch for music. You bought it for gaming on the go. There are alternatives, which in my honest opinion are absolute garbage.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care. I just don't. Poke company is already focusing on switch after us/um. Just release an open world Pokemon game for the switch similar to Xenoblade chronicles and chrono trigger battle transition style. Maybe keep the turn based style? All Pokemon visible on screen and a big open world, pokemon scaled to size. You have big poke taller than you character and small ones. You can even come across trainers npc battling each other to make the place a living breathing world. And maybe even online players battling each other are visible.
I doubt they would do that for a main title Pokemon game. Sounds like a spinoff.

Reactions: AyanamiRei

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I doubt they would do that for a main title Pokemon game. Sounds like a spinoff.
It wouldn't be a spin off if the turn based battle system is the same. Just have Crono Trigger like transitions. Your only really changing the transitions. Battle screen and over world screen is the same. And Poke are visible on screen.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You didn't buy the switch for music. You bought it for gaming on the go.
I didn't buy a switch at all, nor I am planning to :D

And compared to my small N3DS/Vita/phone, it is rather different from my ideal of portability, even before taking in account the fact none of those last a full day due to Apple dictating thinness on the whole market

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
@KingVamp You get what I mean right? You see mankeys walking around, pidgeys flying around, and nidorans. Just walk up to them, press the A button to engage in battle. Then you still have the 4 move option turn based battle. After battling is over then you just walk away like in Xenoblade Chronicles. Have big 3d overworld with forests and cites, and still have the 8 gym battle system and poke league.

Im not saying the combat system to be the same as xenoblade. Only the the walk up and engage in battle to be the same. It'll make the world more lively with visible poke on the screen. With the horse power of switch they can pull it off.

Last edited by SG854,

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't just the japan units. The US and PAL units of the nes and snes still had repair services and spare parts produced too. Their claim was it was too costly to keep producing them. Without the repair areas and production lines of those systems, they were able to start producing more 3DSes. As those old lines ran until 2012ish outside of japan.
That's surprising to me. Does that mean as far back as the early 2000's someone was able to send their NES/SNES to get fixed?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's surprising to me. Does that mean as far back as the early 2000's someone was able to send their NES/SNES to get fixed?
Yep, of course a Famicom (using standard-sized standard electronic parts + a not-so-proprietary CPU and GPU which had loads of accurate clones in the 90s) is a completely different beast than the SMD-using successors

bbking67

FAMILY FIRST
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what I hope happens is that in time the Switch gets cost reduced and turned into a portable version with tons of battery life. Eventually it could just replace the venerable DS/3DS line altogether. Of course I dreamt that would happen with the under-rated Gamecube but sadly it didn't.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
If they ever discontinue at least offer 3ds repairs for 5 plus more years.

Yo @RustInPeace Are you yay or nay on the poke idea I proposed in my pervious posts on this comment thread?

Last edited by SG854,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Fixed it for you buddy
we are not talking about a console game, that is the difference, we were talking about the company who makes the game, nintendo publish, not create said games you mentioned.

example, GRAN TURISMO is a game created by SONY.

UNCHARTED is not a game created by SONY.

So again, we are and never were talking about who owns the rights, the fact we made here is that NINTENDO mainly always cater its games for KIDS, its been a long time since nintendo released anything aimed towards the marketed towards MATURE market.

if/when they do, its a game developed by someone else or third parties...... again NINTENDO PUBLISH/LICENSE ALL its games, this doesnt mean they CREATED them.
that does not make any sence, naughty dog is fully owned by sony how the hell is uncharted not a sony game? makes no sence just becuase the studio isnt called sony does not make it not sony.. so i guess metroid prime 1 to 3 are not nintendo games either becuase they were made by rare wich is a studio owned by nintendo lol.

when a company owns a studio they dictate what they will do since they are the ones paying them, they decide the projects, sony tells naughty dog to make an uncharted game and they do if they tell them not to they dont since they own them, same with monolith soft nintendo owns them since the wii days they pay them and dictate what they can and cant do.

by your logic no pokemon game is a nintendo game and becuase they are from gamefreak even if nintendo owns gamefreek since day one...

Last edited by pedro702,

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they discontinue at least offer 3ds repairs.

Yo @RustInPeace Are you yay or nay on the poke idea I proposed in my pervious posts on this comment thread?

From what I read quickly, it seems pretty cool. I just pictured it as a superbly upgraded version of the Gamecube games, Colosseum and Gale of Darkness, but with longer gameplay, no loading in between towns, in a way taking some elements from open world games (or Zelda BOTW). Each main title they seem more hard pressed on immersing the player in the scenery, so with the Switch they can totally do that.

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is it - Till they will not release the cheaper, smaller, easier to handly for kids version of Switch 3ds is much needed for them. Sure, Switch is "portable", but only if you're adult with medium-to-big hands, otherwise it's too big and cluncky to hold... add to that Joycons being a rather small items that are very important for playing, yet very easy to lost for kids and Switch outright SUCKS as a console for children.

Switch Mini is the future. Otherwise 3DS will be here forever.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@KingVamp You get what I mean right? You see mankeys walking around, pidgeys flying around, and nidorans. Just walk up to them, press the A button to engage in battle. Then you still have the 4 move option turn based battle. After battling is over then you just walk away like in Xenoblade Chronicles. Have big 3d overworld with forests and cites, and still have the 8 gym battle system and poke league.

Im not saying the combat system to be the same as xenoblade. Only the the walk up and engage in battle to be the same. It'll make the world more lively with visible poke on the screen. With the horse power of switch they can pull it off.
I mean, even that sounds like too much of a formula change from the normal of walking in Pokemon areas not knowing what will show up. I mean, the closes they got to this was environmental movements from Pokemon which you can try to avoid or the visible Pokemon that don't fight you. Not to mention, a big graphical change to the overworld. Making sure every Pokemon fits to scale, have enough Pokemon in the area and enough room to battle. Good luck doing that over water. It less about what Switch can handle and more of what the Pokemon company wants to do.

The randomization is kind of lessen too. Maybe the Pokemon change every time you enter and exit an area, but then you can just do that until you get the Pokemon you want and more easily avoid the others.

Also, press A? Why wouldn't they just attack, like every attacking Pokemon?

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh, and about "The open world Pokemon game with cool stuff, basicaly BoTW but with pokemanz" - It will not happen, the core schemes that are deeply rooted in mechanics and reused plotlines of the entire franchise contradicts with it. The graphical improvements will be probably visible, but if people expect that it will be fully open world with non-scaled up Pokemons and stuff like that then please, stop dreaming xD

Reactions: AyanamiRei

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did, it's called Switch. You can't just upgrade the screen resolution and do nothing to upgrade the graphics in games, and obviously they aren't going to remaster the whole 3DS library. I'd maybe expect a few 3DS remasters for Switch after 3DS is officially discontinued, though.

Two games (that I'm aware of) are actually on both 3DS and Switch already: Azure Striker Gunvolt and Fire Emblem Warriors. Both look way better on Switch, obviously.
I have a switch already, but theres so many amazing games traped behind giant shifting blocks of color they try to call an image. I'm perhaps exaggerating but still, I have had loads of fun with the 3ds for a few years but it's starting to wear thin

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that does not make any sence, naughty dog is fully owned by sony how the hell is uncharted not a sony game? makes no sence just becuase the studio isnt called sony does not make it not sony.. so i guess metroid prime 1 to 3 are not nintendo games either becuase they were made by rare wich is a studio owned by nintendo lol.

when a company owns a studio they dictate what they will do since they are the ones paying them, they decide the projects, sony tells naughty dog to make an uncharted game and they do if they tell them not to they dont since they own them, same with monolith soft nintendo owns them since the wii days they pay them and dictate what they can and cant do.

by your logic no pokemon game is a nintendo game and becuase they are from gamefreak even if nintendo owns gamefreek since day one...
are you dense?

using that logic that you keep failing to get, lets take yours here POKEMON..... its a game for nintendo consoles YES, but its a game created by GAMEFREAK, Nintendo co own the franchise and are the PUBLISHER.

Nintendo do not physcially create POKEMON games as they do MARIO.

So POKEMON is a GAMEFREAK game, same as UNCHARTED is NAUGHTY DOG, both companies have exclusive contracts to create games for said company/console.

another way of putting it, If NINTENDO tell you to make a game, and YOU make it, Its then YOUR GAME, YOU CREATED IT.

even the cube games you listed, were games created by another company on behalf of nintendo.

Reactions: goldensun87

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Man... I don't like the way that sounds.
That should imply that Nintendo will accept "Vapor-Games"?
You know, bad games, rushed games, incomplete games, in order to keep alive the 3DS. And since "It's targeted to younger audiences who want's their own personal console" it'd be plausible that the overall quality of the games will... suck :hateit:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/W-k8itKhZzE?si=x1FjAoq74Jv0TAUx +1