The Apple iPad

Dookieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Dookieman said:
"Why? It’s largely because one of the most expensive components — the processor — is a custom-made, in-house Apple (AAPL) 1GHz chip called the A4. In April 2008, Apple bought a chip company called PA Semiconductor, which according to Forbes at the time was “known for its design of sophisticated, low-power chips.” Forbes also said this was a “blow for chip-maker Intel,” which had been trying to sell Apple on its low-power Atom chips."

"PA Semi, like most chip-makers, licensed much of its intellectual property (in the form of chip designs) from ARM Holdings, a small British semiconductor design company that provides the building blocks to companies like TI (TXN), Qualcomm (QCOM) and now Apple. In fact, ARM’s general manager of IP, Simon Segars, told me last year that they sell their famously efficient chip designs to “almost every semiconductor company… in one way or another,” many of whom are still paying royalties after licensing fees."

http://industry.bnet.com/technology/100049...y-arm-all-over/

There, evidence that it is ARM technology.
Pretty shaky logic there.

Apple released another ARM device a little of a year after acquiring PA Semiconductor (the 3GS).

In fact, last July they acquired another company, Imagination Technologies, which specialized in producing system-on-a-chips.

You shouldn't blindly believe everything that random bloggers tell you.

I have provided evidence that it is ARM technology. Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you. There also other websites that speak of the same thing if you google "ARM iPad." You haven't proved to me that it is not ARM tech, besides what "bloggers" have said about it.

That's awesome that Apple bought Imagination Technologies, but that really doesn't matter in this discussion. What does matter is if they use licensed chip designs, even if they make a system-on-a-chip, the technology still isn't theirs.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
shaunj66 said:
A tablet without multi tasking? Are you kidding me?
...ignorant...
AWWWWWWWWWWWWW SHIZNAPS!!! Costello is going to cap you in the dome.

I'd look for multitasking so I would (hypothetically) be able to have my email open then immediately switch to crap game (back and forward... ALL. NIGHT. LONG.)

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dookieman said:
I have provided evidence that it is ARM technology. Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you. There also other websites that speak of the same thing if you google "ARM iPad." You haven't proved to me that it is not ARM tech, besides what "bloggers" have said about it.
I never said they definitively didn't use an ARM chip. Once again another person putting words into my mouth.

I was asking where you saw that they had; from what I see nothing to really base it off of besides some company they purchased two years ago, whose tech they've already incorporated into a product.

As of yet you still haven't provided anything that could be considered "evidence".

QUOTEThat's awesome that Apple bought Imagination Technologies, but that really doesn't matter in this discussion. What does matter is if they use licensed chip designs, even if they make a system-on-a-chip, the technology still isn't theirs.
Personally I don't give two shits who actually designed the chip (aside from implications in porting other software to the device).

My only goal is to stop the spread of misinformation.

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sigh a piece of junk I don't want now turned supersized. I'd rather get the iPod Touch then this. (I don't want one but if I had to.)

Crappy battery life, eye straining e-book reader (if used as one) and very expensive junk that people will actually buy.

I'd rather go with a netbook.

sixteenbuttons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hate2.gif
i guess i was expecting something more like a tablet computer from apple, not just a larger ipod touch.

godsakes

Trophies
XP
Country
Issac said:
godsakes said:
i don't own any apple products as i'm not into my music nor mobiles gadgets - but i have to say i am interested in the ipad for casual internet browsing & ebook reading around the house (assuming it's well implemented). if it came with a stand it would be useful as a picture frame for displaying my photos (i do have one of those picture frames but the image quality is naff)

the music/video playback would be side bonuses

like this?
accessories_20100127.jpg

Also, I'd want it... but I wouldn't pay that much for it.... I think I wouldn't use it that much, not enough to pay that amount of money at least.

If I was rich though, I'd love this!!
well i'd probably wait for a 2nd hand one (since i'm a cheapskate) and ideally until it was hacked to open up more options - but in princple i would be interested in a device like that - whereas i would have no real interest in say a fancy mobile or mp3 player

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If the device could be hacked and made more open I'd be mildly interested in it. Not really a fan of apple products in general though. They're always over priced, while there's normally a cheaper better alternative.

f3ar000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy...
This is the first time seeing this after the few rumors ive heard.
Its a complete waste of money!
just either buy a phone... or a netbook which are both cheeper

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Apparently this thing takes a SIM card smaller than standard ones, called a Micro-SIM. How long do you guys think it will take for someone to make a replacement iPhone SIM card tray for Micro-SIM cards?

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
I have a feeling that Apple is trying to follow the DSi XL fad. Apple iTouch/Phone COULD be considered as a gaming console and they just want to make it bigger :|

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I will never acknowledge the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad/POS as a gaming device. It definetely isn't one either.

Really micro-sim cards? Normal SIM cards are already pretty small and they are about I dunno 2 times bigger than a micro sd? (Just guessing here)

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
juggernaut911 said:
Vidboy10 said:
DeMoN said:
I cannot believe this will not have Flash. You'd think Apple would have learned from its mistakes with the iPhone/Touch.
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/64364
Steve Jobs already explained why he doesnt want flash on iPhones/iPod Touches.
He said it will slow down the device...
AKA: Adobe said no!
biggrin.gif
Adobe already has working binaries for the platform, so it's clearly someone on Apple's side being a douche.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Steve Job is as worse as Bill Gates. Two biggest assholes and money hungry idiots I know. That thing is just a giant iPod touch, there is nothing else to it.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
BoxShot said:
I will never acknowledge the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad/POS as a gaming device. It definetely isn't one either.

Really micro-sim cards? Normal SIM cards are already pretty small and they are about I dunno 2 times bigger than a micro sd? (Just guessing here)

It's a gaming device for casual gamers. It was funny, I was at a fishing spot, actually baiting my hook, and my younger friend was playing a fishing game for the Ipod Touch. I wanted to strangle her, because she was making so much noise that the fish weren't biting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/HzRGkeVySqE?si=RpzYP5tJsOViNLRj