The beginning of the end for freeShop - first party titles no longer downloadable

VljLxOM.png

Much to the dismay of pirates everywhere, It appears that Nintendo is finally rolling out the infrastructure changes to their Content Delivery Network to put an end to apps like freeShop, Villain3DS, TikDevil, and FunKeyCIA, among others.

For those of you that missed out, in the recent 11.8.0-41 update for the Nintendo 3DS, several changes to how the NIM service handles downloading Nintendo 3DS software from the eShop were made. The main change involves sending an encrypted copy of the user's game ticket to their server for authentication. If the server finds the ticket is invalid, or no ticket is provided, the server could deny you access to the content files you are trying to retrieve.

This level of granular per-title validation will effectively put an end to any software that relies on the open availability of content files on the Nintendo CDN to function, including freeShop, CIAngel, TikDevil, and even PC based clients such as Villain3DS, PlaiCDN, and FunKeyCIA to name a few.

However, up until earlier today, the server wasn't denying anyone downloads at all. However, multiple reputable sources have stated that the changes have begun to roll out and that it is unlikely that any workarounds will be found.

Because this followup round of changes is server side, this effects all firmware and all devices trying to download from the Nintendo CDN. Staying on 11.7 or below will not make freeShop continue to work, and before you ask, yes, software you already pirated is safe. (for now, anyway.)

At this time, it seems only various first-party Nintendo titles are affected, but it's probable that these changes will begin rolling out to all 3DS titles on the Nintendo CDN over time.

As of approximately 1 AM EST, August 22, 2018, the Nintendo CDN has applied this ticket validation method to over 2800 titles on their network.

:arrow: Source and Ongoing Discussion
:arrow: Related 3DBrew Page
Q: Will Staying on 11.7 help in any substantial way?
A: Not really. The bulk of the changes made are server side, meaning that they apply to all firmware, all platforms, everything trying to download 3DS content from the Nintendo CDN. I don't recommend updating on principle but that choice is yours to make.

Q: Do I have to delete the games I downloaded from freeShop to avoid being banned?
A: No. This ticket check is done only when downloading titles through the NIM Service on the 3DS. Not when launching games. Not when going online in games. Not when downloading or installing games through other means.

Q: What uses the NIM service to download from the Nintendo CDN?
A: The Official 3DS eShop, Official 3DS eShop Sleep Mode Downloads, and freeShop Sleep Mode Downloads. That last one is the only wild card here. We don't know what Nintendo might do if you upload an invalid game ticket to them through NIM. They could possibly use this ban you, but as of now, it doesn't seem like they are.

Q: Will there be a workaround for this in the future?
A: Almost certainly not. Don't count on it.

Q: Can you still download non-first-party 3DS games?
A: No, as of August 22, 2018, nearly all titles are requiring valid tickets to download. A complete list of titles that are blocked is available courtesy of @DMSalesman, here.

Q: Does any of this apply to Wii U content on the Nintendo CDN?
A: No. Nintendo hasn't updated the Wii U with any of this security, which they would have to do to implement this.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Nintendo is now just on a rampage terminating every service and site that offers warez and free games in any way.

Nintendo, you need to f*** off now or else we have nothing left.
Imagine when the Shopping Channel closes, they release update 4.4 fixing all exploits permanently while also putting over a filter that blocks you from accessing anything from the internet.
Jesus fuckshit, they only took down an embarrasing exploit on an EOL console, that is all. And Emuparadise? They dropped ROMs on their own and are no less dead than GBAtemp was after it dropped ROMs. I personally wasn't even in on this super-easy download method because I generally got my ROMs the classic way and had almost everything I needed anyway, and this hasn't affected me at all, all it did was close an embarassingly easy era of 3DS piracy. As for "nothing left", pretty much all major sources of warez - save Emuparadise - remain available. The scene hasn't changed much at all, just a popular, simple, convenient method of piracy for the masses is now plugged, it's not the apocalypse mate.

Last edited by Searinox,

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think we'll be fine with cia installs, the no online kinda sucks though. But I don't think its honestly that much of an issue since I dont play online on my 3ds much

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I tested for blocked titles earlier this evening with villian3ds and it sure seems that they didn't lock down many titles.
The rumor that they blocked all 1st party content isn't even close to being true (yet).

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Welp, this really looks like the end of piracy on the 3DS... oh wait, it's not, there are other websites for that.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I tested for blocked titles earlier this evening with villian3ds and it sure seems that they didn't lock down many titles.
The rumor that they blocked all 1st party content isn't even close to being true (yet).
Yeah that's what I find really strange too, most thing I tested for with Villain are still able to download, why didn't they just do it all in one go?

Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,
Reactions: zoogie

trigao

Ninten
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
We shouldnt be so worried about online either
Its a matter of time to nintendo turn off the 3ds servers
I mean, the 3ds will not have any new pkm game, mario kart or any "important" game to play online

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No but how do you even download free DLC for a game? Like for an unpopular game
Well, if no one buy it
Will not be in freeshop either
The games only appear there IF have de title key

Reactions: MrJason005
P

pasc

Actually it was a surprise they didn't act earlier..

Maybe that will help devs to create some quality content for the the 3DS ?

I mean come on.

GBA: ~3000 Games
NDS: ~6000 Games
3DS: ~1000 Games..
(Tell me whats wrong with those numbers...)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
GBA: ~3000 Games
NDS: ~6000 Games
3DS: ~1000 Games..
(Tell me whats wrong with those numbers...)
Before large card sizes and updates were a thing (forcing developers to at least try to release a not flagrantly buggy game): more languages than storable on an affordably-priced ROM? 2 or more different editions! Major bug to recall and fix ASAP, or minor bug fixed between production runs? New edition!

SSB4 is the only 3DS game famous for having multiple updated rereleases, and even then it was nowhere as ridiculous as the permutations of the individual languages of Pokemon D/P (at least 6 Japanese roms for each + at least 6 non-JP languages = at least 24 variants of "the same game"); and since most people install both game and update, they may not even really be interested in how many physical versions of the same title exist...

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But what about DLC(not all games DLC can be found) and updates??
I've just tried to download some updates (not DLC) for both first and third party "invalid titlekey" games, all were downloaded from the eShop just fine.
Either I've got very lucky and I've only tested games that don't have titlekey verification enabled yet or only actual paid content, aka games & paid DLC, is going to be checked by the CDN.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wondering if each individual game needs some kind of manual update applied to its store entry by the devs/owning company. Which would mean that the majority of the shop would remain vulnerable forever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    sorabora tempBOT: sorabora has joined the room.