• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The benefits of Brexit - the future of the United Kingdom

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, considering there wasn't another vote, we don't know what the majority thinks after all this mess.

Interesting. Would this deal still be possible, without exiting the EU?

If there wasn't an anime and manga trade deal out of this, well, that would have been a missed opportunity. /jk
In a way, there was (a vote, that is) : Johnson got voted in as prime Minister. At the very least, it counts as a sign that brexit should continue. Sure, the opposition wasn't up to snuff (what was it? Corbyn arguing he could get a better leave deal than May? :rolleyes:) but it's not our job to push a popular bremain minister.

As to Japan : it is based on the existing EU deal, so the more relevant question would be whether the deal would be needed without brexit.
My original (Dutch) newspaper also had an interesting extra remark : that Japan sees the UK foremost as 'a gateway into the eu'.
(https://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20201023_94072218) that would suggest Japan is more concerned about their supply chain than anything else. Still.... It's a good thing for both countries.

emigre

Deck head
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In a way, there was (a vote, that is) : Johnson got voted in as prime Minister. At the very least, it counts as a sign that brexit should continue. Sure, the opposition wasn't up to snuff (what was it? Corbyn arguing he could get a better leave deal than May? :rolleyes:) but it's not our job to push a popular bremain minister.

Not exactly, we have FPTP which mean the Tories got majority on a plurality of the votes. If we had PR, it'd be pretty cloudy.

I wonder how many people will change their minds either way, when Brexit finally happens.

Polls from YouGov (a well-renowned polling company here) put out some results a few days ago with 50% saying Brexit was a mistake compared to 38% who didn't. It'll be interesting next year, the pandemic management has been poor so the economy is going to take another big hit. This along with Brexit is probably going to see tighter wallets especially if the expected increases in food is passed onto the customer.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So after 4 years of procrastinating and general time wasting the UK has officially left the EU. No planes have fell from the sky yet, I've got a keen eye on the sky.

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Doran754

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Were there any planes in the sky right now to have fallen down?

Anyway what a parade of time wasting and incompetence that was, and while I can't say I expected otherwise it was still rather surprising in its magnitude.

Whether and in what ways it might be beneficial or detrimental I still don't know, and doubt we will for some time yet (to say nothing of having to pick things apart and control for other variables). I imagine the results will be far from any kind of ideal case.

If we had something vaguely resembling competent politicos then I might expect something more, however none I have seen in years inspire confidence or show themselves to have a spine/conviction in the long term (though if one did appear then crabs in a bucket + whitehall gremlins would limit any good, even if not in a way I personally care for, done there).

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So after 4 years of procrastinating and general time wasting the UK has officially left the EU. No planes have fell from the sky yet, I've got a keen eye on the sky.
Erm... Are there any planes flying in the first place? With that covid stain you've got, most of Europe has banned flying from the UK in the first place.

But ey... Seems everything's great so far. It's not like the traffic jams in and out of the country exceeded expectations (though that is probably best evaluated in a couple days and not exactly one day after the loooooong negotiated deal), nobody 's bailing out or,...

What? Oh, so Boris Johnson' s father is nationalizing into a Frenchman? Oh...well...it's not like he was very brexit-minded to begin with.

Sorry...got distracted a bit. But to get back to your message: yeah. No planes falling from the sky. I...guess that's awesome if you're insecure of those sorts of things? :unsure:

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
What? Oh, so Boris Johnson' s father is nationalizing into a Frenchman? Oh...well...it's not like he was very brexit-minded to begin with.
It's frankly slightly hilarious that Boris Johnson appears to be the only one in the Johnson family to actually have wanted a Brexit. Then again, I saw a documentary on the guy once. Seems he has his entire anti-EU sentiment purely from his own father because his father supported the EU pretty heavily, and he just wanted to mark himself as different. Interesting situaiton.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Erm... Are there any planes flying in the first place? With that covid stain you've got, most of Europe has banned flying from the UK in the first place.

But ey... Seems everything's great so far. It's not like the traffic jams in and out of the country exceeded expectations (though that is probably best evaluated in a couple days and not exactly one day after the loooooong negotiated deal), nobody 's bailing out or,...

Sorry...got distracted a bit. But to get back to your message: yeah. No planes falling from the sky. I...guess that's awesome if you're insecure of those sorts of things? :unsure:

https://www.flightradar24.com/50.18,2.89/6

Seems like theres some planes in the air according to this, sorry to burst your bubble, the sky hasn't fallen in quite yet.

One man gets a passport, BREAKING NEWS. You realise his mother was French right, so he's entitled to a french passport. Or do the rules change now because you're butthurt about brexit. "Soz Stanley, we know your mother was french but brexit or something so nahhhh."

Last edited by Doran754,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So is the UK part of America now or how does that work?

I say we tax 'em without representin' 'em!
Well...they're independent, so at least on the liberty front that's a straight up 'no' to anyone but to themselves.

But as to where relationships with other countries are concerned...errrrrmmm....lemme just put down a few factoids I've picked up listening to the news:

* standards for importing goods to Northern Ireland have to adhere to EU standards as to not breach the good friday agreement
* goods that are exported to the EU have to meet EU's standards as well
* Gibraltar is now part of the Schengen zone
* EU members living in the UK have more travel rights in the EU than UK citizens (meaning: they have a huge advantage over UK citizens for jobs that require travel abroad)
* fishing quotas is a win for the UK. Whoop di doo: you'll gain up to 4% extra quotas in the next five years. For a sector that's about 0.1% total of the UK's GDP. And because custom checks take longer, the only real benefit is when caught fish is sold within the UK to begin with

About the only somewhat physical disadvantage for the EU in this deal is the cancelation of Erasmus (an exchange program for students), but to me that's hardly relevant. And that might be negated with whatever the UK government comes up with later.

So...I've honestly no idea why Johnson sells this as a win for the UK. The more I read about it, the more I'm like "ey...that's actually a benefit for the EU". But really: it's not like this deal should be a zero sum game. Perhaps it truly is a benefit for the UK, which would be awesome. But it's not like I'm complaining about anything.

*checks Shamzie's latest post*

*sigh* Well...almost. :rolleyes: For some reason, people like Shamzie want to pretend they've "won" and (therefore) we've "lost". And therefore anything guys like me say must be because of spite or something.

https://www.flightradar24.com/50.18,2.89/6

Seems like theres some planes in the air according to this, sorry to burst your bubble, the sky hasn't fallen in quite yet.

One man gets a passport, BREAKING NEWS. You realise his mother was French right, so he's entitled to a french passport. Or do the rules change now because you're butthurt about brexit. "Soz Stanley, we know your mother was french but brexit or something so nahhhh."
Jeez, dude. Calm the fuck down. I said most countries banned UK flights, that's all. It's not an apocalypse, and it's not even brexit related. Let it go already.

I also anticipated your reaction to Stanley Johnson's move, but I'll be honest: I'll let others decide whether or not they consider it a sign or not. I do. You don't. That's fine with me.

Reactions: x65943

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well...they're independent, so at least on the liberty front that's a straight up 'no' to anyone but to themselves.

But as to where relationships with other countries are concerned...errrrrmmm....lemme just put down a few factoids I've picked up listening to the news:

* standards for importing goods to Northern Ireland have to adhere to EU standards as to not breach the good friday agreement
* goods that are exported to the EU have to meet EU's standards as well
* Gibraltar is now part of the Schengen zone
* EU members living in the UK have more travel rights in the EU than UK citizens (meaning: they have a huge advantage over UK citizens for jobs that require travel abroad)
* fishing quotas is a win for the UK. Whoop di doo: you'll gain up to 4% extra quotas in the next five years. For a sector that's about 0.1% total of the UK's GDP. And because custom checks take longer, the only real benefit is when caught fish is sold within the UK to begin with

About the only somewhat physical disadvantage for the EU in this deal is the cancelation of Erasmus (an exchange program for students), but to me that's hardly relevant. And that might be negated with whatever the UK government comes up with later.

So...I've honestly no idea why Johnson sells this as a win for the UK. The more I read about it, the more I'm like "ey...that's actually a benefit for the EU". But really: it's not like this deal should be a zero sum game. Perhaps it truly is a benefit for the UK, which would be awesome. But it's not like I'm complaining about anything.

*checks Shamzie's latest post*

*sigh* Well...almost. :rolleyes: For some reason, people like Shamzie want to pretend they've "won" and (therefore) we've "lost". And therefore anything guys like me say must be because of spite or something.

Jeez, dude. Calm the fuck down. I said most countries banned UK flights, that's all. It's not an apocalypse, and it's not even brexit related. Let it go already.

I also anticipated your reaction to Stanley Johnson's move, but I'll be honest: I'll let others decide whether or not they consider it a sign or not. I do. You don't. That's fine with me.
to add to what you said about Erasmus, the Republic of Ireland has agreed to pay for Northern Ireland citizens to continue the program. So even in that regard Erasmus has not stopped in the UK (as a whole).

D

Deleted User

If only Northern Ireland would be merged with Ireland now although that won't happen even if it's the right thing to do.

Ireland uses the Euro currency, hm. A country where English is spoken and the EU currency is used, that's something somewhat interesting.

"Oi, mate, that's 50 Euros." :P

Btw, GameStop has branches in Ireland, but it used to be available in U.K. too. For some reason they closed down their U.K. stores (there's only two game retailers they'd rival: CeX and GAME, GAME is probably going out of business in the near future due to their ridiculous prices and £5 shipping when it should be like £1.26 or £1.50).

Iamapirate

Trophies
XP
Country
To put it simply: I think the UK (and every over sovereign state) ought to govern themselves, and make laws pertaining to their people and their territories. This is why I fundamentally support Brexit.

Reactions: Doran754

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
To put it simply: I think the UK (and every over sovereign state) ought to govern themselves, and make laws pertaining to their people and their territories. This is why I fundamentally support Brexit.
I said it long before Brexit and I'll say it again now: ultimately all that changes is the price of things went up a bit in the UK, and they get to keep more immigrants out of the country. Returning to isolationism in the 21st century is not really an option; everything, including much of the world's economy, is online.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If only Northern Ireland would be merged with Ireland now although that won't happen even if it's the right thing to do.

Ireland uses the Euro currency, hm. A country where English is spoken and the EU currency is used, that's something somewhat interesting.

"Oi, mate, that's 50 Euros." :P

Btw, GameStop has branches in Ireland, but it used to be available in U.K. too. For some reason they closed down their U.K. stores (there's only two game retailers they'd rival: CeX and GAME, GAME is probably going out of business in the near future due to their ridiculous prices and £5 shipping when it should be like £1.26 or £1.50).
If we are being honest with ourselves the reason that northern ireland is not part of the republic proper has nothing to do with the wishes of England (Scotland and Wales are minor players), but everything to do with the wishes of northern ireland itself.

There is already a provision in the good friday agreement that a referendum can be called on joining the republic whenever it looks as though a referendum would likely result in a vote to join the republic.

The fact of the matter is that as long as surveys have existed, NI opinion is primarily union with Britain.

That is slowly changing yes, but still there is a unionist majority.

From the side of the rest of the UK, and primarily England - NI is a money pit. Their economy has never been good, and they are supported by generous public jobs paid for by mostly English taxes.

In fact there is some question as to how much the rest of Ireland even wants NI. Does Ireland really want to commit itself to paying the pensions of NI's bloated public sector?

D

Deleted User

I'd thought to myself that Brexit would "save" Britain, but now with the constant lockdowns, curfews, tiers and etc, I just feel like U.K. isn't where I want to live anymore and I have that option so that's what I'll be going for. I just can't stand being treated like a criminal and forced to be in my house until they decide I'm allowed to leave.

People who are natives of Britain and may only have a house or apartment in U.K. have no other alternative, although some Brits have houses abroad so they may decide to ditch the U.K. whenever they get a chance.

That said, the new immigration laws of Brexit are great, though due to the lockdowns which affects people's lives then it sort of cancels everything. Small business owners might as well forget about opening their business there.

Sigh.

Reactions: Doran754 and Henx

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, the UK can now do whatever it wants (well, more things) to support business and workers as it saves people. Some of their former colonies have some ideas on that. That neither party cares is up to you.
Covid will still ravage your country, but that was always a choice. You might get your wish by not living anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival