Hacking The Comfort Question: DS Lite, DSi or DSi XL?

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
2 quick questions

1) Which DS do you find most comfortable in the hand after a longer gaming session?
DS Lite, DSi or DSi XL?

2) Do you consider your hands small, medium or large?
Thanks for your thoughts.

YoshiKart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the DS series, I've only owned a Phat and a Lite, and use the Lite constantly. I've used a DSi and DSi XL in the past, though (friends'). I'd have to say the XL is the best. The surface finish feels much better than the Lite. I haven't tried the DSi that extensively, though.

I have VERY large hands. 8.25 inches from the tip of the middle finger to the wrist (I can't believe I actually measured my hands like that...). But if that's not considered large for you, feel free to be the judge in terms of what I call large.

EDIT: My signature is wrong; I'm getting an XL when the blue color is released.
tongue.gif

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I have I have 7.25 inch hands. I've only ever owned DS lite and phat as well. I prefer the lite. I'm not getting the XL because I need my money for a 3DS
biggrin.gif

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys.
I was deciding between DS Lite, DSi and DSi XL as my second DS.

Comfort is important so I wanted the most comfortable unit.

After seeing the horrible colours on offer with the DSi XL (and the extra money they want for it), I decided against it and went with the DSi (in white).
So Nintendo pretty much made my mind up for me.

Nice unit but not the last word in ergonomics. I like the matte finish, though!

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
foob said:
After seeing the horrible colours on offer with the DSi XL (and the extra money they want for it), I decided against it and went with the DSi (in white).
1. Bronze isn't that bad.
2. There's going to be better colors coming soon (such as the black and blue one that's coming in September or something).
3. You're not paying the extra $20 for the hardware, because $18 goes to the built-in DSiWare it comes with. So technically you're paying $2 for the bigger screens, the longer battery life, the better feel in your hands, the big stylus, etc.
4. BTW, just in case you need to open the DSi XL, it uses only mini-Phillips head screws instead of the tri-wing screws that other Nintendo consoles use.

Personally, I think the DSi XL is a better choice than the DSi. Hell, even the DS lite is a better choice than the DSi.

brod

Trophies
XP
Country
YayMii said:
3. You're not paying the extra $20 for the hardware, because $18 goes to the built-in DSiWare it comes with. So technically you're paying $2 for the bigger screens, the longer battery life, the better feel in your hands, the big stylus, etc.

The DSiWare isn't worth $18 just because it's there. If you're not going to use it and wouldn't have bought it, it's worth $0.

Also, the difference in price between DSi and DSi XL is greater than $20 in some regions.

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
DS Lite is ok, but not too great for long sessions.
DSi is great, even after 10 hour sessions my hands didn't hurt.
I've never used a DSi XL, but since it's bigger and heavier than the DSi I would guess that it's less comfortable...

EDIT: My left hand is medium, right hand is small. If you don't know how that could be possible, check out one of my videos on youtube. I don't feel like explaining it here.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found the stylus was a problem with prolonged use.

But as for holding the DS, no, it was never a problem to hold my Lite. The thing is the XL is visually substantially bigger of screen. You can play it and not need it crammed up close to see the screen. Not that the XL is comparable to my laptop screen though.

No regrets getting the XL at all. The DSi though is a waste of money. Features the XL has, and nothing to offer in increased screen size.

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
gamefreak94 said:
I only have a ds lite, but the dsi is pretty comfortable with the matte finish. Feels a lot better than the ds lite.

Agreed about the matte; gloss was something I always disliked about the DS Lite. Shoulder buttons are slightly raised, which I like. I think Nintendo still make their portables too square, though. Regular PSP has better, more rounded comfortable design.

YayMii,
You make a good point about the DSiWare that's installed, but like brod says, it may not be so interesting to some users and it wasn't to me. I still wonder what the larger unit feels like and am tempted, but I think I will wait a year or so until it goes down in price. In Australia the price difference is the equivalent of about $45-$55 US dollars or so (comparing roughly equivalent bundles of both DSi and DSi XL, excluding DSiWare of course). The larger screens and extra battery life and better speakers are things that I am tempted to try on the DSi XL, but that'll have to wait. Yeah, I heard they released some better colours in Japan that should drift out to other areas soonish but I didn't want to wait.

Demonbart,
I've heard some reviewers state the DSi XL is the most comfortable for them simply because of the size and their hands. It probably varies depending on the user, though.

gamefreak94,
As soon as I put it in my hands, the matte finish was the first "aha! this is more like it!" moment I had. So it was the first noticeable improvement to me over the DS Lite as I unpacked it.

Panzer Tacticer,
DSi actually has a larger screen than the DS Lite, which is quite noticeable (though not as large as the DSi XL of course). So in that sense, it's the poor man's DSi XL. Hehe. Apparently worse battery life than DS Lite, though (and of course no GBA slot). Seems every hardware revision offers something worthwhile while going back in other areas.

The DSi's cameras, sound and calendar stuff is fun, but a little novelty, really. I like how the power button can reset me back to the menu. At last.

I am still very intrigued with the DSi XL. It's not often we see products getting larger and I have this feeling in my bones that ONE DAY I'll own it too
smile.gif
I like the idea of better battery life and improved speakers, too. Then again by the time I buy one the Nintendo 3DS should be well-and-truly out, like Midna mentioned. I am amazed at where this company is going.

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
UniqueGeek said:
The best would be the original DS, the DS lite isn't as comfortable, the DSi is better than the DS lite, but not as good as the original, and I don't have an XL DSi.

I quite liked the feel of the original DS (shoulder buttons were better). But the screens were very poor, the stylus was smaller and it's not selling any more.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
am I the only one that doesn't like the dsi XL? (seams to defeat the point of a handheld, to me at least, though I've never tried one)

For comfort I prefer the dsi to the lite, but the phat was nice too. Medium hands

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, this is coming from a person who actually OWNS a DSi XL.

It's very comfortable to hold, even with my small hands. Personally, I think the DS Phat is more comfortable than the DS lite/DSi (although it looks rather ugly). Also, the XL stylus fits PERFECTLY in my hands, unlike those teeny-tiny styluses that fit in the DS. It weighs a little more than a PSP, although when you're holding it (while it's open), it's about as heavy as holding a Wii remote (with batteries) in each hand. The only problem I have with it is that if you always squeeze your DS tightly for some reason, you'll find the corners of the DSi XL digging into your palms (although I'm pretty sure this also happens on the other models).

Another point I'd like to make, is that once you get used to the bigger screens, you'll feel uncomfortable (mentally) when you're trying to play one of the smaller DS models.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
foob said:
2 quick questions

1) Which DS do you find most comfortable in the hand after a longer gaming session?
DS Lite, DSi or DSi XL?

1: DSI XL because you can put it in your lap when you play, the screens are easy to view aswell.

2: i have large hands so i can grip it well.

FlashX007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I upgraded a few months ago and I chocked when deciding on DSi or DSiXL. I regret it to put it briefly. Why? The DSi's buttons are not for me. I have medium size hands I guess and I can grip and play but after a while it gets annoying and I sometimes might need to push hard or something. Personally I think it is too slim for its own good so yea. If you upgrade get a DSiXL... if I had a chance I would get that and give my DSi stuff away. *sigh*

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
foob said:
YayMii,
*snip*
Yeah, I heard they released some better colours in Japan that should drift out to other areas soonish but I didn't want to wait.
BTW, the blue/black color comes out June 11th (2 days from now) where I live. So it's not a really long wait.

yzak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
foob said:
2 quick questions

DS Lite, DSi or DSi XL?

if you really want comfort get a case that bulks up the ds like the nerf

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
YayMii said:
BTW, the blue/black color comes out June 11th (2 days from now) where I live. So it's not a really long wait.

Lucky.

In Australia there is no sign of it. I've searched the online catalogues for upcoming two weeks from the major retailers and they still promote the launch colours, so I don't think we'll be getting it any time soon.

Plus I'd only want it in white which isn't available here and there's the problem of the unit still being too expensive for my tastes (around $250-$260 US dollars at current exchange rates). Though these are normally bundles with accessories and/or additional games. Basically they have reached price parity with PSP 3000 bundles - in fact usually a few bucks more.

FlashX007, yeah some definitely prefer the bigger unit. Sorry to hear you prefer the one you didn't get!

jalaneme, thanks for your thoughts.

More thoughts on the DSi
Better speaker loudness than the DS Lite, but not a huge difference. Headphone volume output seems to be similar.

Differences to DS Lite

I prefer some things about the DS Lite; the length of the DS Lite is more compact and quite like it's chunkier (thicker) design - but there are some small differences to me, comfort-wise. The slightly larger body of the DSi and slightly larger screens do benefit the comfort of gaming on the unit. Flatter Start and Select buttons (less stabbing-of-the-flesh) also helps. Better (raised) shoulder buttons on the DSi too, but it would be better if they were more sculpted for the average human hand (rounded more). DS Lite, though, seems to give me the feeling that it's built better (just a general feeling I get). Could be just the new versus old feeling affecting perceptions here but the DS Lite still feels more solid and battle-ready in the hand to me, if nothing else.

The matte texture of the DSi is nice but I'd prefer if it weren't so smooth (a rougher textured matte would be more practical and resistant against scratch markings, in my opinion). It's still preferable to the DS Lite's more slippery gloss, though.

The bigger screens (with bigger pixels) on the DSi as well as the ease with which you can get back to the main home screen (a press of the POWER button) are among my most favourite things over the DS Lite. I've got to get out of the habit of trying to turn the power on the side, 'cause they moved that thing completely
smile.gif

The other things I can talk about forever (sound, cameras), but they are not the main thing to me. They might be to others. Nice to have them but the novelty wears away fast. PSP is still the machine with more format support (like MP3 and MP4 videos) and ideal for watching movies and has excellent audio quality, but the DS makes manipulation of sound and pics 'fun' with its touch interface and better (downloadable) browser, Opera.

Glad I got to experience it and look forward to more stuff from Nintendo.

Making the DS do more
Am I the only one that would kill for a proper calendar/organiser/alarm/dictionary/productivity apps in this thing though? Seems like such a lost opportunity to get more average people buying a DS to me, who aren't necessarily most attracted to the games or other stuff it can do, but consider those nice bonuses (and who in future decide to buy more from Nintendo after discovering things they like). Lots of people are put off small phone keypads and screens and consider the DS less intimidating (much like they consider the iPhone less intimidating).

I bet there's millions to be made here with a low-cost device like the DS if they offered productivity software and a good calendar/organiser/alarm by default (speaking of Alarm, nothing has improved in the DSi here, LOL). An untapped market of more 'serious' users who like to do stuff beyond just play, both young and old. This is the perfect vehicle for Nintendo to make a lot more money, in my opinion - and they aren't really exploiting it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate...