The company behind Denuvo launches its "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection", claims to "solve" Switch piracy

1661351599_Nintendo-Switch-Denuvo-arrives-announced-an-anti-emulation-protection-system.jpg

Irdeto is a brand that some may not be familiar with, but many will know the name of their controversial anti-piracy software, Denuvo. After attempting to crack down on the piracy of PC games, Irdeto has set its sights on the Nintendo Switch. Believing piracy to be rampant on the platform, either through modded consoles or emulation, Irdeto has unveiled their aptly named "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection" technology.

As with all other Denuvo solutions, the technology integrates seamlessly into the build toolchain with no impact on the gaming experience. It then allows for the insertion of checks into the code, which blocks gameplay on emulators.

They claim that their solution, which would run similarly to Denuvo, would have occasional checks to ensure the software was legitimate, and prevent the games that use it from being emulated. Irdeto also promises that there is no impact on the gaming performance with it enabled, a claim that has led to many controversies in the past with Denuvo.

Beyond the press release, there's not much known about the Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection, when it will launch, and what games it will launch with. By the phrasing in the announcement, however, it appears that Irdeto is targeting indie developers or third-party studios more than they are Nintendo itself, specifically for multi-platform games that can be protected from piracy on both PC and Switch.

:arrow: Source

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't agree. pirates pirate for the sake of pirating. it doesn't get anymore complicated than that. pirates simply pirate because they can. it's insulting to think otherwise.
@godreborn ,you who have many consoles should know it well,for example Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Switch costs €60 and there are limited edition games that touch €150 and in your opinion this don't favor piracy?
If you hate gaming pirates it's a personal factor.

Reactions: Dragon91Nippon

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
@godreborn ,you who have many consoles should know it well,for example Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Switch costs €60 and there are limited edition games that touch €150 and in your opinion this don't favor piracy?
Not them but Limited Edition games usually come with extra stuff that is worth the price for collectors/fans of the game. It's not just a game that's priced at €150. It's a game AND more.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
@Xzi ,do you know why piracy exists?
The too high prices of the games.
I can understand the frustration with the "Switch tax," but in general I don't think this is true. You can just wait for the prices of games to fall and/or buy them used. Takes at most a year for the vast majority to drop to 50% off.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've bought many special editions, including a preorder for god of war ragnarok, and I'm on disability. it's not about price really, a lot of people simply don't want to pay anything. I mean a lot will not even donate five bucks to a dev who made their job easy. I've donated over $100, and I get about $560/month. how can you excuse that? and, to mention, I was attacked by pirates in the ps3 scene, when I warning them. seems like your warning someone about a girl who has an std, but people have sex with her anyway, simply because they're horny. well, you deserve it now.

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've bought many special editions, including a preorder for god of war ragnarok, and I'm on disability. it's not about price really, a lot of people simply don't want to pay anything. I mean a lot will not even donate five bucks to a dev who made their job easy. I've donated over $100, and I get about $560/month. how can you excuse that? and, to mention, I was attacked by pirates in the ps3 scene, when I warning them. seems like your warning someone about a girl who has an std, but people have sex with her anyway, simply because they're horny. well, you deserve it now.
@godreborn ,you did not understand what i meant,if the games cost less the piracy would decrease dramatically and people would buy much more original things from music,movies,games instead of pirating them.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@godreborn ,you did not understand what i meant,if the games cost less the piracy would decrease dramatically and people would buy much more original things from music,movies,games instead of pirating them.
no, I understood, but a pirate is a pirate. I can understand if you're from some third world, but most are American or European, which has nothing to do with what you're talking about. as I said, a pirate is a pirate regardless.

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So yeah, it's 100% a service issue. Even as someone who owns a Switch I have a hard time stomaching the idea of buying new games for it which are guaranteed to run at 30 FPS with dips and lower than low graphics settings.

as someone said before in one of the foruns i follow, if a person still thinks that they are going to hurt nintendo sales by using pirated games (it is not, but some people still thinks that anyway) is quite simple, really: buy a switch game, put aside and download any other version of the game, to play on emulator. but then there is the problem when you only can buy a digital version of the game ;(

ps: i dont care about Nintendo as a enterprise, to be honest. i do like a lot some of their ips

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
no, I understood, but a pirate is a pirate. I can understand if you're from some third world, but most are American or European, which has nothing to do with what you're talking about. as I said, a pirate is a pirate regardless.
@godreborn ,from me the VAT is 22% in the USA what is it?the second-hand video game market is zero if not with Ebay or Amazon.
I'll give you another example from me a Samsung Galaxy Fold 4 starts at € 1800 and reaches € 2279,how many think can buy it with the current crisis of the war in Ukraine, the price increase in electricity and gas?

Laast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

What does mean "a pirate is a pirate"? Do you think there are just two kinds of people, good ones and evil ones? Good ones always buying their games at full price and evil ones always getting their games for free? You really think human behavior is as basic and binary than this?

The truth is way more complex. When someone see a product and in one hand he can get it for free and in another hand he has to buy it, there are many factors which will determinate his behavior (price, savings, vendor, purchase benefits,...).

Money is a really subjective topic, and as long as there will be the free option versus the paid option, people will make choices and these choices are way beyond the simplistic approach of "I'm a good guy / I'm a pirate."

Reactions: Henx and Sono

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does mean "a pirate is a pirate"? Do you think there are just two kinds of people, good ones and evil ones? Good ones always buying their games at full price and evil ones always getting their games for free? You really think human behavior is as basic and binary than this?

The truth is way more complex. When someone see a product and in one hand he can get it for free and in another hand he has to buy it, there are many factors which will determinate his behavior (price, savings, vendor, purchase benefits,...).

Money is a really subjective topic, and as long as there will be the free option versus the paid option, people will make choices and these choices are way beyond the simplistic approach of "I'm a good guy / I'm a pirate."
fuck off. you're now on my ignore list.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This makes no sence....

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have no issues with it.
In case it wasn't obvious by my signature, I really dislike piracy.

On older systems? Go ahead!

People enable piracy way too easily, heck, when I was a teenager I was way too much into piracy just because .
Are games expensive? Sure? But you can get them cheaper with time or with pre-order discounts (which is what I usually do), plus, they're not a necessity.

Steam and a few others have cheaper prices for certain regions, but even so, those regions are rampant with piracy. Some might pirate for 'somewhat' legitimate regions, but in most cases they just pirate because they can.

Reactions: xoINARIox

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
these choices are way beyond the simplistic approach of "I'm a good guy / I'm a pirate."
Not really... If you pirate, you're a pirate. It really is that simple. Your justifications don't change that.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Xzi ,do you know why piracy exists?
The too high prices of the games.
That is simply not true for a lot of pirates. Any price is too high for some people. People pirate TV shows and Movies even if you can get them in a 5$ value bin at a retail store.

I am sure price does matter in countries where a game is a full month’s paycheck but for other countries it is usually people who would have never paid in the first place regardless of the price or use piracy as a sort of try before you buy system.

Reactions: nxwing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...