The future you

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to set the scene. Here are the circumstances in which you find yourself. You lived until the age of 70 and due to deteriorating health you are about to die. Only 30 years before while you were still in good health you heard of an "insurance policy" you could buy. But it's a special policy and very expensive. For those who could afford it you could invest in a new cryo freeze procedure in which moments before your demise you would be cryogenically frozen inside of a space capsule. This capsule would then be launched into space. Also this capsule is built in such a way that it will endure the rigors of space for 300 years. It has full life support, atmospheric control and simulated gravity.
The idea of this project was to perfectly preserve your body for centuries in the hopes that one day the technology would be invented to cure your condition. All systems are automatically maintained at the lowest levels that will still preserve you, to conserve energy expenditure. You being a wealthy person decided to invest in this program.
After 200 years, technology has advanced enough to cure all health problems. It has also advanced to the point that space travel is common. At this point someone from earth finds your capsule and rescues you and with modern medicine they restore you to perfect health but with one interesting side effect. The procedure also makes you 25 years old (when you were in peak physical condition).
With that in mind, what would you do 200 years in the future?

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How could I possibly answer this question without knowing the intricacies of how life works in this new future I find myself in? My decisions would be based on the cultures, attitudes and nature of the world in which I find myself.

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How could I possibly answer this question without knowing the intricacies of how life works in this new future I find myself in? My decisions would be based on the cultures, attitudes and nature of the world in which I find myself.
Well that's just it. You wouldn't know. That's part of the complexities of the question. Since it's hypothetical, you have to give a hypothetical answer. After 200 years have passed by everything would have changed tremendously so none can really predict.
As far as I'm concerned, I would be thankful to be healthy and alive. I would be asking questions eager to learn more. I suspect I would be a major scientific and historical curiosity and everyone would be asking me questions wondering what it was really like to live 200 years ago in 2019.
One of the first things I would be interested in is seeking out my relatives alive in the future.
I would be eager to learn about technological, cultural and scientific advances.
For instance, do people still drive or do they fly? If not, what method of transportation is used? Teleportation?
I think with a question like this you write your own manuscript, you base your answers on how you think it will be in the future.

Cmon guys let's have a little fun with this. Let's use our imagination

Last edited by zomborg,

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No Thanks I have Loved One's waiting for me and I will ascend beyond the primitive state of Man and be a god through God.

Cybernetics and Genetic manipulation can only take you so far I dont want cheap imitations unless it is a cheap but perfectly good quality Hardware mod for my Consoles.

Superbronx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's an interesting scenario zomborg. Me? My first order of business would be to learn as much about the future as I possibly can. That way I'm better acquainted with what it means to be a citizen of earth 200 years in the future.
I would probably be ravenously hungry and would hope I can still get a hot home cooked meal. Or would they just be taking supplements by that time?
I would want to learn who the president is, if that's still a thing. Also has there been any more world wars?
If space travel is common, I would want to hitch a ride to the moon. They would probably have a colony there.
I would contact my progeny although anyone I ever knew would be long dead. How many generations would that be?
Do I still have any money in the bank or from investments?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

NO,i don´t want to live in 200 years.
Nice for those who do it.....
I do not want to imagine.
I do not care how it will be.

Not for money,not for all on this planet....NO.

But YES i want to know to live 200 years in the PAST.:)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Warren Ellis' "Transmetropolitan" explores this a bit, cryogenically frozen, revived and cured people that wake up horribly unprepared in a future world that's so far removed from their previous existence they can't even comprehend it, with no friends or relatives or job skills, who turn to drugs and crime and/or kill themselves.

And that's basically how I think it would go.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
200 years from now? I would imagine we have advanced to either AI being the dominate (possibly only) species on the planet, or we have advanced to intergalactic travel and spread to the stars. I would imagine that we would be as out of place as a person from the early 1800's would be in our time. All the neat idea's I would think of as cutting edge now would be so far out of date it would be ridiculous... People of that time would take for granted things that would be barely concepts now.

One thing that is for sure, I would probably feel even more disconnected to humanity than I am now. As I age (over 40 now) I see that immortality is no longer a thing I desire.... I suspect it's a side effect of my near photographic memory, I feel like I have already lived a hundred life times and I just don't want more...

Maybe things will end up like Altered Carbon...

Superbronx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warren Ellis' "Transmetropolitan" explores this a bit, cryogenically frozen, revived and cured people that wake up horribly unprepared in a future world that's so far removed from their previous existence they can't even comprehend it, with no friends or relatives or job skills, who turn to drugs and crime and/or kill themselves.

And that's basically how I think it would go.
That sounds pretty bleak lol. I guess I like to look at it from the perspective of a childs wonder.
you know, ooo and aahhhh and flying cars and robots and all the fun stuff.
oh and also I could get a playstation 54

Last edited by Superbronx,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ignoring simulated gravity would mean either a lot of fuel for thrust during that time, or some super advanced technology (artificial gravity and faster than light are more or less in the same boat of things that would shake up everything, and effectively be a stasis field if you really wanted rather than cryogenics).

200 years at current predicted rates of advancement... yeah I would be a caveman most likely, and even age 25 probably lacks the neuroplasticity to learn enough to catch up. My only hope there would be some kind of brain augmentation or mind upload I can modify. I would roll the dice on that one though, and if I would end up a museum piece then hopefully they have a decent enough simulation or drugs for it to not matter.

That said even as an old man with some seriously flawed genetic stock I can see living long enough to get to brain upload, or an understanding of biology such that I live as a functionally younger version.

200 years from now? I would imagine we have advanced to either AI being the dominate (possibly only) species on the planet, or we have advanced to intergalactic travel and spread to the stars.

Intergalactic in 200 years? That is a bit optimistic for me
https://www.universetoday.com/21914/the-closest-galaxy-to-the-milky-way/
Take off today at the speed of light (or just to make things easier then 99% of) and you would not have made it to the nearest dwarf galaxy by then (25000 light years), never mind a spiral one.

Superbronx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ignoring simulated gravity would mean either a lot of fuel for thrust during that time, or some super advanced technology (artificial gravity and faster than light are more or less in the same boat of things that would shake up everything, and effectively be a stasis field if you really wanted rather than cryogenics).

200 years at current predicted rates of advancement... yeah I would be a caveman most likely, and even age 25 probably lacks the neuroplasticity to learn enough to catch up. My only hope there would be some kind of brain augmentation or mind upload I can modify. I would roll the dice on that one though, and if I would end up a museum piece then hopefully they have a decent enough simulation or drugs for it to not matter.

That said even as an old man with some seriously flawed genetic stock I can see living long enough to get to brain upload, or an understanding of biology such that I live as a functionally younger version.

Intergalactic in 200 years? That is a bit optimistic for me
https://www.universetoday.com/21914/the-closest-galaxy-to-the-milky-way/
Take off today at the speed of light (or just to make things easier then 99% of) and you would not have made it to the nearest dwarf galaxy by then (25000 light years), never mind a spiral one.
Lol you made me belly laugh with that museum piece comment. :rofl: I think I like the stasis field idea myself. I'm gonna take a wild stab at it and say op probably got the idea for cryo freeze from star trek TNG.
I noticed in his top 5 scifi thread he lists TNG as one of his favorites and there was one episode in the series where they encounter some type of old satellite with several people in cryo but only 3 survived. They were from like 500 years in the past.
Wow!? You mean even if we could travel the speed of light it would still take more than 200 years to reach our nearest neighbor?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lol you made me belly laugh with that museum piece comment. :rofl: I think I like the stasis field idea myself. I'm gonna take a wild stab at it and say op probably got the idea for cryo freeze from star trek TNG.
I noticed in his top 5 scifi thread he lists TNG as one of his favorites and there was one episode in the series where they encounter some type of old satellite with several people in cryo but only 3 survived. They were from like 500 years in the past.
Wow!? You mean even if we could travel the speed of light it would still take more than 200 years to reach our nearest neighbor?
Neighbouring dwarf galaxy (which is actually closer than the extreme edges of our own current galaxy). Nearest star (to say nothing of rogue planets) in this galaxy is far far closer, and even on currently conventional lifetimes we may just live to see something sent there at least. Given there are a few billion stars in this galaxy, and we also have the Dyson swarm thing to do, we are probably not going to run out of things to look at any time soon though.

Videos time

Reactions: Superbronx

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd finish my video game backlog (Assuming it didn't just get 100x worse over the last hypothetical 200 years). I also have a circulatory condition that adds some minor frustration to my life so I'd have that fixed too

Reactions: Superbronx

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So....you're thrusting on us a narrative that the peoples of Earth, have somehow stopped war, global crises, yada-yada and it's totally cool two-hundred years later that financial institutions, governmental powers, corrupt yahoos, etc, haven't ruined the world to utter shit?

Errrrnnnyyyway, if I was rich (like buku-rich, not Paris Hilton-rich), I'd do everything I wanted and have been doing? I mean, the question is wayyyyyy too open-ended to get a real response; you may have been better off asking, "If you had unlimited money blah-blah-blah 200 years later, blah, question."

So, maybe in two-hundred years I'd just be.

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would freeze my sperm, do a perfect sex change, impregnant myself with my sperm. modifiy the genes of my child to be a super human. bear that child. do a vaginal rejuvenation and then continue my life as a single mother as a hooker in a std free world.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A