The Game Awards 2017 Winners and Announcements

the-game-awards-2017-logo-747x309.jpeg

It's that time of the year again!

No, not Christmas or New Year (although those are pretty close too...) but it's time for The Game Awards, the pompous event that recognizes and upholds creative and technical excellence in the global video game industry!

Created in 2014 by media entrepreneur Geoff Keighley, the event has grown to look more and more professional with the years, especially considering the fiasco of its predecessor, VGX (okay, we shouldn't really be talking about that...). The Game Awards is starting to feel like a real celebration of both game creators and game players with its line of renowned guests, grandiose setup and sneak peeks of upcoming games. This year's edition will feature guests ranging from Hideo Kojima, Norman Reedus, Guillermo del Toro (mandatory bromance trio) to performance capture actor Andy Serkis (Gollum, Supreme Leader Snoke) and Rick and Morty's co-creator Justin Roiland!

On top of that the program is broadcast globally, free-of-charge, and can be streamed on Twitch, YouTube, Facebook Live, Twitter and of course, right here on GBAtemp as it starts airing at 1 a.m GMT (Friday):

Oh, and don't forget to vote for your favorite game in different categories right here!

What are you most excited about the event? Will you be tuning in? Share your thoughts below!

Announcements

• Saber Interactive's World War Z announced (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
  • Owlchemy Labs' VR Game Vacation Simulator coming 2018 (Oculus | Vive | PSVR)
  • Crows Crows Crows' Accounting+ coming to PSVR 19th December (PSVR)
  • From Software's newest project teased - "Shadows Die Twice."
  • Campo Santo's In the Valley of Gods announced for 2019
  • New Zelda BotW DLC releases tonight
  • Soul Calibur VI coming 2018 (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
  • THQ Nordic's new game Fade to Silence releases 14th December (Steam)
  • Bayonetta 1 & 2 coming to Nintendo Switch in February 2018
  • Bayonetta 3 announced for Nintendo Switch
  • Kojima's Death Stranding just looks insane and brilliant; much like the man himself
  • Witchfire announced from the creators of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • New footage shown for A Way Out - with my new favourite person narrating, releasing March 28th
  • Jumanji video game announced
  • Media Molecule's Dreams was shown in a new trailer, coming 2018
  • GTFO announced, a four player co-op FPS with the tagline: "Work Together or Die Together"
  • 4A Games' Metro Exodus trailer shown, coming fall 2018 (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
Award Winners

• Trending Gamer - Dr. Disrespect
  • Best Score / Music - NieR: Automata
  • Best Mobile Game - Monument Valley 2
  • Best Sports Racing Game - Forza Motorsports 7
  • Best VR / AR Game - Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  • Best Handheld Game - Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Best Narrative - What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Best Action Game - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  • Best Art Direction - Cuphead
  • Industry Icon - Carol Shaw
  • Best RPG - Persona 5
  • Best Strategy Game - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • Most Anticipated Game - The Last of Us: Part II
  • Best Family Game - Super Mario Odyssey
  • Best eSports Team - Cloud9
  • Best Debut Indie Game - Cuphead
  • Best Ongoing Game - Overwatch
  • Best eSports Player - Faker
  • Best Student Game - Level Squared
  • Games for Impact - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Audio Design - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Performance - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Game Direction - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Best Action-Adventure Game - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Game of the Year - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Last edited by Scarlet,

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For the sequel to BotW, I'm hoping they find a way to maintain what this game built while adding back in more of the classic type of dungeons as well. The Divine Beasts were cool, but a little on the short side for dungeons, and there were only four of them.
I don't see that happening. Breath of the Wild was so well received by critics that Nintendo will probably keep taking this approach and trying to make it appeal to everyone instead of having a clear target like other Zelda games (i.e. Zelda fans). It's the same reason Skyrim was dumbed down from how previous Elder Scrolls games were. By trying to appeal to everyone you can make much more money.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

ATofix

Sloth. That's it.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, it's an opinion. MY opinion is that it's a cookie-cutter open world take-over-the-bases collectathon game that like all the others before it hasn't changed much since Just Cause started the trend some 11 years ago.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But Nintendo does suck. This is coming from someone who doesn't own either one of Microsoft or Sony's marginal "next-gen" systems. I hate all those proprietary DRM boxes.
So your a PC gamer?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should feel ashamed of yourself for thinking and typing that. There are so many problems with this statement I shouldn't even begin.
You say that, but who would have ever thought there would be a bike in Zelda?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it should play like FF15, I'm just saying that the setting should be modern.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You say that, but who would have ever thought there would be a bike in Zelda?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it should play like FF15, I'm just saying that the setting should be modern.
Oh no, my friend, there is no misunderstanding.

Once again, there are so many things wrong your extremely ignorant idea that I really shouldn't delve into it.

If you really are so obtuse to be unable to realize why, I could make a write up. I have a feeling you wouldn't read it anyway or be able to make proper discussion about it but at least the karmic forces of the universe would be appeased.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the next Zelda should just straight up be modern time. Kind of like FF15.
We should also have a Fallout game that takes place in the middle ages, and an Elder Scrolls game that takes place in a distant Era with cyborgs and robots and laser guns. And a Call if Duty game where everyone's a medieval knight. /s

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played