The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero English fan translation to release on March 14th

If you've been longing for a new JRPG experience or just love the Trails/Kiseki series, then you're in luck. Geofront, a fan translation team, is just about ready to release their complete English translation patch of Zero No Kiseki (Trails from Zero) to the public. The unofficial translation was completed back in September of 2019, but the team behind the project wanted to ensure that everything worked before distributing the patch, which will be available on March 14th. You'll need to have a copy of the game on PC in order to make use of the patch, to which the team recommends getting it officially through Japanese retailers such as dlsite, amazon.co.jp, or the official Falcom webstore. Not only does the patch offer an English translation, but it also adds numerous bugfixes, a speedup mode for battles, and an autosave feature.

:arrow: Source

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone wondering what order to play the games in, I stole this from reddit:

First: Trails in the Sky FC

Second: Trails in the Sky SC

Third: Trails in the Sky the 3rd

Fourth: Trails from Zero

Fifth: Trails of Azure

Sixth: Trails of Cold Steel

Seventh: Trails of Cold Steel 2

Eighth: Trails of Cold Steel 3

Ninth: Trails of Cold Steel 4

I played Trails in the Sky FC like 100 years ago, and I waited so many years for SC to get translated and it never did until like 2015 or something. When it finally happened, I didn't even feel like playing it anymore since I forgot literally everything and didn't want to play through the first one again because of how long it was. If I wanted to play Trails from Zero, I would have to play FC, SC, and the 3rd first so as to keep with the story, so I guess I'll have to pass on this one. I still thank the translators for this monumental gift to the masses.

Reactions: Rith12 and r5xscn

RanceJustice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone wondering what order to play the games in, I stole this from reddit:

First: Trails in the Sky FC

Second: Trails in the Sky SC

Third: Trails in the Sky the 3rd

Fourth: Trails from Zero

Fifth: Trails of Azure

Sixth: Trails of Cold Steel

Seventh: Trails of Cold Steel 2

Eighth: Trails of Cold Steel 3

Ninth: Trails of Cold Steel 4

I played Trails in the Sky FC like 100 years ago, and I waited so many years for SC to get translated and it never did until like 2015 or something. When it finally happened, I didn't even feel like playing it anymore since I forgot literally everything and didn't want to play through the first one again because of how long it was. If I wanted to play Trails from Zero, I would have to play FC, SC, and the 3rd first so as to keep with the story, so I guess I'll have to pass on this one. I still thank the translators for this monumental gift to the masses.

I too am interested in starting my Trails experience (on PC!) and have several in my backlog. I should preface this by saying I could be wrong, but from what I've read you do not need to play all of Trails in the Sky before playing Zero. The Legend of Heroes "Trails" games are set up into sub-series. It isn't like the games are listed as above as one long, continuous series with each one coming right after the previous.

Trails in the Sky FC, SC, 3rd complete the Sky Arc, that take place in one nation of the game world. Trails from Zero and Trails from Azure are the "Crossbell Arc", taking place in a different nation. The Cold Steel games are again in another part of the world and form their own arc as well. . Considering that the Trails from Zero is the starting game of its story arc, you can jump right in!

--

My congratulations to the developers on this ambitious fan-translation patching project. Hopefully this will encourage Falcom to release their own games with subtitled/UI translations natively going forward ; something they seem to be doing at least in general. Does anyone know if the developers here or a similar project will be focusing on Trails of Azure? Regardless, an excellent job!

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too am interested in starting my Trails experience (on PC!) and have several in my backlog. I should preface this by saying I could be wrong, but from what I've read you do not need to play all of Trails in the Sky before playing Zero. The Legend of Heroes "Trails" games are set up into sub-series. It isn't like the games are listed as above as one long, continuous series with each one coming right after the previous.

Trails in the Sky FC, SC, 3rd complete the Sky Arc, that take place in one nation of the game world. Trails from Zero and Trails from Azure are the "Crossbell Arc", taking place in a different nation. The Cold Steel games are again in another part of the world and form their own arc as well. . Considering that the Trails from Zero is the starting game of its story arc, you can jump right in!

I don't know. I read the total opposite. The things I read are basically like comparing starting from Trails from Zero is like starting the Harry Potter series at like the 5th book or something if you skip the Trails in the Sky parts. They say there are so many references and callbacks to minor NPCs, NPCs extremely vital to the plot, nuances to characters you won't pick up on if you skip games, relevant lore, failing to understand significance of major plot threads, etc. It was mentioned that it is very important to play The 3rd before Zero as you will not understand some of the reasons why certain characters are doing certain things, and even though the main cast is different from the Sky Trilogy, the overall story still carries over so it is crucial to play the games in order because there are scenes in the main story that you will have absolutely no idea what is going on if you've never played another trails game.

RanceJustice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know. I read the total opposite. The things I read are basically like comparing starting from Trails from Zero is like starting the Harry Potter series at like the 5th book or something if you skip the Trails in the Sky parts. They say there are so many references and callbacks to minor NPCs, NPCs extremely vital to the plot, nuances to characters you won't pick up on if you skip games, relevant lore, failing to understand significance of major plot threads, etc. It was mentioned that it is very important to play The 3rd before Zero as you will not understand some of the reasons why certain characters are doing certain things, and even though the main cast is different from the Sky Trilogy, the overall story still carries over so it is crucial to play the games in order because there are scenes in the main story that you will have absolutely no idea what is going on if you've never played another trails game.

Perhaps that is the case? I've been told several times that while you will get the most out if you've played the previously released ones, it isn't nearly as important as you've mentioned, but I guess everyone will have their opinions of what's minor, what's major, and what's worthwhile. I can remember many discussions when Cold Steel first came out, if players needed to play Sky first of all and how you could enter without doing so, given the delineations between the various series. Then again, perhaps the relationship between Sky arc and Crossbell arc is different than that of Sky and Cold Steel etc. Up until recently, Crossbell's games were not translated completely, even fan translated with any level of polish comparable to what this seems.

If you want to avoid missing anything at all, I'd say to definitely play them all , or at least read/watch a primer, but its up to you. I'd have to look into it again as it has been awhile since I've checked, seeing what the current opinion on the necessity and importance of inter-Arc precedence.

Last edited by RanceJustice,
Reactions: GameSystem

kaiiisen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please, I need help. I want to play Trails In The Sky 1-3 and Trails From Zero on PC with full voices. I know there are some projects for all these games, however you need to use a software called python3 to make the voice scripts, and I can't run it since it doesn't support my OS. Is there a place where I can download all-set scripts without having to use third part softwares, please? I can't do anything about it by myself at the moment. Thank you.

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please, I need help. I want to play Trails In The Sky 1-3 and Trails From Zero on PC with full voices. I know there are some projects for all these games, however you need to use a software called python3 to make the voice scripts, and I can't run it since it doesn't support my OS. Is there a place where I can download all-set scripts without having to use third part softwares, please? I can't do anything about it by myself at the moment. Thank you.
You don't need to manually create the scripts. Those instructions are just there in case you wanted to compile yourself. Check the release section https://github.com/ZhenjianYang/SoraVoiceScripts/releases

Reactions: kaiiisen

kaiiisen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you GameSystem, but I'm freaking out now, was Geofront taken down or something? O.o

EDIT: Although, maybe it just got overloaded because due to many accesses.

Last edited by kaiiisen,
D

Deleted User

https://geofront.esterior.net/
1.0.2 update is out
The 1.0.2 update introduces select improvements to the experience, such as improved rendering performance and improved save menu performance on non-solid state drives.

Mod/Functionality
  • Fixed an issue where the mod was allocating extra resources on every PNG load, eventually leading to a memory leak characterized by white textures and a non-functional save menu (JoseJL).
  • Fixed an issue where the save menu would not function without the savefile game data folder (Ribose).
  • Fixed a crash if the message log is empty when opened (JoseJL).
  • Implemented the “auto-advance delay” setting into the UI and corrected its behavior. Now it properly delays the auto-advance by the given milliseconds, and it does not double advance (Ribose).
  • Fixed an issue where the targeting would get stuck in battle when playing with keyboard or controller. Previously, this was caused by the location of the mouse cursor over the units, and was thus mitigated by the player changing the battle rotation or moving the mouse (JoseJL).
  • Fixed 59 Hz display settings being stepped down to 30 FPS mode (Ribose).
  • The selection cursor animation is now affected by turbo in the save menu and message log (Ribose).
  • Improved rendering performance, especially for certain Intel GPUs (JoseJL).
  • Adjusted window render size failsafe to occur earlier, fixing ultrawide displays that would otherwise crash on first launch (5120×1440 has a dimension above 4096, the highest supported). Also fixes the rare potentiality of settings inconsistency on the first launch (Ribose).
  • Removed Tinyformat and use STB sprintf in most places instead, which should address a certain potential crash (Ribose).
  • Fixed the message log storing 501 items instead of 500, and more strictly remove items from it on load and adding items. Fixes a buffer overrun that was causing many items to appear to have a voice to play when they didn’t (Ribose).
  • Implemented a new setting under “Controller” called “Update on device change”. For players with wireless Xbox controllers and certain other controllers that are experiencing frequent brief freezes or crashes, try disabling this setting and only manually updating your controllers using the “Update” button (Ribose).
  • Fixed an instance of Lloyd being voiced in both “included” and “additional” voice acting when both are enabled during the first scene in Central Square (Ribose).
  • Fixed the movie_evo support not scaling the video or subtitles properly (Ribose).
  • Fixed and simplified the Dpad and analog stick input code. Controller field movement should now be actually 360 degrees like mouse movement is (Ribose).
  • Stripped out the Tinyformat library. The mod now uses STB sprintf() everywhere it can. This may fix crashes for some players when they try to open the Options menu (Ribose).
  • Fixed a resource leak that leads to crashing after a shimmer effect (JoseJL).
  • Minor adjustments to improve save menu performance on non-solid state drives (Ribose).
English Files
  • Subtitle timing has been adjusted on the movie_evo ending video to match where Cerulean Blue Romance actually plays (Ribose).
  • Ending movie has been updated to the latest version (Sorcerian).
  • A number of typos, grammatical issues, translation issues, and text errors have been corrected (KillScottKill, Catasplurge, Ribose).
  • An unimplemented Japanese string in the scenario and another in the monster unit files has been corrected (Catasplurge, Ribose).
  • Missing translated textures were added for the EXTRA character menu and Camp Menu (Sorcerian).
ZeroLauncher
  • The installer should now update its visual state when it completes, and should not freeze while copying large files.
  • The installer now sets the correct uninstall registry key for the original FSetup5 program to still attempt an uninstall.
  • Fixed a cryptic error that can occur if the ED_ZERO.exe isn’t in the default location and an upgrade is attempted.
  • Implemented an uninstall option to the installer itself. The intended procedure to uninstall the modified game is to: (1) Click File > Uninstall. (2) Follow the prompts. (3) Go to Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall the ZeroLauncher program.
  • The installer should now gracefully handle invalid registry values.
  • The installer should warn and prevent installation in the root of the filesystem, or without a FALCOM outer folder. This is required for the FSetup5 uninstall program.
  • The installer should now detect giving it the zero_w8/ED_ZERO/ED_ZERO executable and switch to the zero_w8/FSetup5 install-from-media procedure (should work for physical Zero as well).
  • The installer should accept Visual C++ Runtime status codes 3010 (“restart required”) and 1638 (“newer version present”) as success. After all, these mean VC++ is already installed in some form, which is enough for the mod.
  • Updated a lot of strings on the installer for consistency.
  • Corrected the positioning of various graphics and labels on the installer, and the scaling of graphics on high DPI displays.
  • Added a component selection for players to skip reinstalling components that they know they already have. This should be particularly useful for Linux players.
  • Added Visual C++ Runtime (x64) for the xdelta3.dll install step to function.
  • The installer is now targeting .NET 4.7.2, as this is the lowest I would take it to keep DPI support, native ZIP decompression support, and C# tuple support.
  • The installer is now 64-bit only since the xdelta3.dll install step requires it.
  • The installer may be run from the Application Files folder without modifying file extensions. The install step is intended to be a lightweight method to make sure the .NET Framework is installed for the program, and to add it to the start menu for convenience. It can function on its own without those conveniences, as long as the .NET Framework is installed.

Reactions: GameSystem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1