• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The Little Mermaid. Is it getting flak because of racism, or because it's yet another remake?

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
It's getting flak because it's cultural appropriation. The little mermaid is originally a red headed white mermaid chick. Recently the movie makers and streaming services have been "blackwashing" and race swapping out original characters and historic figures for black people. FFS they had a black viking queen in Vikings Valhalla - WFT! Now Cleopatra (a Greek woman), was apparently black.

On the flip side, if you had Chanum Tatum playing the part of Malcom X - the blacks would be screaming from the rooftops.

The thing is Hollywood know that black people don't really have much interesting stories or culture so they use other races stories and cultures and try to pass it off as some sort of black history instead. This is the woke world we live in, but do you really expect something different now that the workplace is full of a bunch of diversity hires?
Post automatically merged:

nah that ain't disney's interest today.
Disney are more into grooming kids nowadays and re-writing history than producing an original story. The top brass at Disney were most likely mates with Jeffrey Epstein and some of the "groomers" that were visiting pedophile Island.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
"Not children, but children of all ages." is really what Disney forgot about what makes their older movies magical.
Oh no.
You've just changed and need to get in with the current times.

What gives Disney money right now?
Inclusivity.

So, you're the one who's wrong, fuck old Disney fans, we have inclusivity now!
It prints money.
Post automatically merged:

I don't like black mermaids, reminds me of the war in nam and the crap I saw in the water
But you're 34?

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no.
You've just changed and need to get in with the current times.

What gives Disney money right now?
Inclusivity.

So, you're the one who's wrong, fuck old Disney fans, we have inclusivity now!
It prints money.

I can't tell if it's sarcastic or not so I won't assume it is. Culture is never, should never be exclusively about money. Companies that do that tend to decline in the medium term.

Inclusivity alone won't produce tomorrow's classics. Classics are able to reach beyond trends to become timeless. It makes people question themselves rather than blame, it shows rather than tell. Disney isn't interested in doing that. It wants easy money, like you said, and it comes with diminishing returns.

Also, outside of the US Disney doesn't seem very concerned with inclusivity.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Disney is keeping up with the rest of the modern world. The people that have a problem with it are usually the knuckle-dragging clowns that support what happened on Jan 6th.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMCS

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disney is keeping up with the rest of the modern world. The people that have a problem with it are usually the knuckle-dragging clowns that support what happened on Jan 6th.

Every time all it takes is a pointless, manufactured controversy for people to completely miss the bigger picture: the complete creative bankruptcy in everything Disney produces nowadays.

Now, if you type "Disney creatively bankrupt" on google, you'll find many, many articles over the years from people (left, right, I assume?) coming up with the same conclusion, for pretty much the same reasons.

Are they all villainous insurrectionists, too?
Spoiler alert. No, they're not. Of course they're not. They're just people who see through Disney's bullshit.

Disney, the cultural hegemony incarnate, cannot produce classics anymore and instead thrives on cheap money grabs with their sequels and remakes.
That's your "modern world": an Americentric, Hollywood obsessed mirage that couldn't even stand up for human rights if a big check was presented to them. A marvelous display of complex superiority, far, far from the original vision of Walt Disney.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's getting flak because it's unneeded, uncalled and more of a trend that perpetuates the lack of ideas going around in the producer and studio heads.

Black chick ain't the problem. The Little Mermaid is the problem.

Give the black chick a machine gun to kill foreign troopers in their turf while rescuing wrongly imprisoned veterans that were there to deliver piece by bombing innocent villages.
America applauds and gives Oscar for outstanding performance.

1dkreally

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
1dkreally.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on who you ask, though I've noticed that most of the people that dislike it because of the actress' race end up being racists anyways. I dislike that movie because I think it looks dogshit, as does pretty much every other Disney live-action remake lol

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on who you ask, though I've noticed that most of the people that dislike it because of the actress' race end up being racists anyways. I dislike that movie because I think it looks dogshit, as does pretty much every other Disney live-action remake lol
I have also seen people posting online encouraging people specifically to see this movie because the lead actress is black.

Literally no other reason. I've seen people on Facebook organizing viewing parties SPECIFICALLY to demonstrate black turnout.

Would you consider that to be just as racist as people who WON'T see the movie based on the race of Ariel?

Reactions: Ligeia

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's because they race-swapped her, she was originally of European ancestry, and now she's African. This is racist.

Netflix is doing it too and they really fucked up big time doing so with Cleopatra since Egypt is fighting back.

It's getting flak because it's unneeded, uncalled and more of a trend that perpetuates the lack of ideas going around in the producer and studio heads.

Black chick ain't the problem. The Little Mermaid is the problem.

Give the black chick a machine gun to kill foreign troopers in their turf while rescuing wrongly imprisoned veterans that were there to deliver piece by bombing innocent villages.
America applauds and gives Oscar for outstanding performance.

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would add that I saw the exact same thing when Black Panther was announced, and the sequel. And Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

People SPECIFICALLY organizing others by race, galvanizing them to pump up the turnout specifically, solely and only based on skin color. Folks on social media pledging to take up entire rows, with the sole and only intention of showing support to a person because of their skin color.

Don't take my word for it. You can look anywhere and find all of this yourself.

It does make me wonder.

I personally think Creed and its sequels are FAR worthier of support. Creed was at least an original idea. And then they snubbed its creator for the third film.

1dkreally

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
1dkreally.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have also seen people posting online encouraging people specifically to see this movie because the lead actress is black.

Literally no other reason. I've seen people on Facebook organizing viewing parties SPECIFICALLY to demonstrate black turnout.

Would you consider that to be just as racist as people who WON'T see the movie based on the race of Ariel?
I'm not black, but I am a minority in other ways that aren't really relevant at the moment. Usually within the minority communities I'm in, media will be recommended based on representation for us. I imagine it's the same with the black community, but you'd have to ask actual black people what they think.

Also I'm fairly certain there's a whole history of making non-white characters white in order to make them more appealing.

• Haha

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would add that I saw the exact same thing when Black Panther was announced, and the sequel. And Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

People SPECIFICALLY organizing others by race, galvanizing them to pump up the turnout specifically, solely and only based on skin color. Folks on social media pledging to take up entire rows, with the sole and only intention of showing support to a person because of their skin color.

Don't take my word for it. You can look anywhere and find all of this yourself.

It does make me wonder.

I personally think Creed and its sequels are FAR worthier of support. Creed was at least an original idea. And then they snubbed its creator for the third film.
I really liked the Black Panther, but part of the reason was due to Chadwick Boseman and he passed away so not too interested on the sequel (which apparently isn't very good, anyway).

RIP, Mr. Boseman.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not black, but I am a minority in other ways that aren't really relevant at the moment. Usually within the minority communities I'm in, media will be recommended based on representation for us. I imagine it's the same with the black community, but you'd have to ask actual black people what they think.

Also I'm fairly certain there's a whole history of making non-white characters white in order to make them more appealing.
How does your status as a "minority" factor into any of this? And, if your "minority" status isn't relevant, why bring it up?

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol