Hacking The maker of the iOS 10.2 jailbreak managed to hack the Switch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course it effects the system. Third party game devs will drop support. Why spend lots of time and money developing a game when most people will download it for free. The switch needs a good few years before it's hacked so we get some great games to pirate later.
The majority of the customer base will not have any desire to pirate games, especially on games consoles.
Nearly 20 years ago when things like the Dreamcast existed, gaming was not as mainstream as it is now, so maybe a greater percentage of gamers were "hackers" and actually affected sales to a greater degree. Not to mention other factors, like the internet becoming more accessible to the masses. Information flowing freely, information like system exploits, burning CDs, easier purchase of flash carts, etc.
Anyway, a wise businessperson will take piracy into account when budgeting, same as any other loss. There will always be a greater ratio of legit buyers to pirates. To exclude a platform simply because of it's low barrier of entry to piracy is just ludicrous.
If anything, it's just a scapegoat. Instead of trying to inform people of the complicated business decisions that go into game development, just blame those Dirty Entitled Pirates™

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going public with a hack on a console one week after launch is flat out stupid. Let's totally expose this exploit for the sake of getting some dubious internet cred and pirating this small handful of games!!

Hopefully whatever is going on here is kept under wraps.

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It feels too soon but I think this is a good and bad thing. Bad for the obvious reasons (lack of security, possible early piracy). However; hopefully with this exploit, homebrew could be better implement and studied for a future other exploit that comes out in the future after the switch has had a decent lifespan. We might be able to get something like mods working on the switch and that would be awesome for a game like Zelda BOTW.

Last edited by keven3477,
Reactions: Deleted User

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Expect that to be a while we still don't know what formats the games are in and how they verify you own them and such but if its exactly like the 3DS since people have said it looks like a rewrite it still take some time.

Don't worry I know. Even if we have kernel, we need a uncrypted Game, bypass Online Activation etc....

jakibaki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Going public with a hack on a console one week after launch is flat out stupid. Let's totally expose this exploit for the sake of getting some dubious internet cred and pirating this small handful of games!!

Hopefully whatever is going on here is kept under wraps.

This exploit was public for a very long time. This is only here because nintendo uses outdated webkit.

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I( also doubt we get more public exploits in the future, I think they gonna wait for 4.0 or 5.0 to get a more stable system with lesser update rate

jakibaki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If it has Nvidia shield tech, is there any chance it could run android apps or am i thinking of something else?
The switch uses a fairly standard nvidia-board afaik. So assuming we get bootloader-access at some point there are already linux/android-drivers for it that can be used.

Reactions: keven3477

darklordrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course it effects the system. Third party game devs will drop support. Why spend lots of time and money developing a game when most people will download it for free. The switch needs a good few years before it's hacked so we get some great games to pirate later.
most people

Facepalm warranted? Facepalm warranted. You're going to have a hell of a time finding data to back up the idea that 'most people' would pirate a game - when most people don't even know that devices like these could be hacked for free stuff, let alone have the bravery to do it.

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
There is really people that still think piracy kill the console ?
You mean, like pirating killed Rolling stones, or piracy killed cinema ? OR MORE !!! Im sure the car killed trains, bus and subways 100% sure...
You're naive af guys...

PS2, Wii, DS, 3DS, alllllll of them hacked till their core, and pretty fairly "in early console life" and they're the most sold consoles and with the most third party titles we ever see on every consoles... but yet "piracy kills consoels and third party support", you're freakin blind...

The marketing, and "attractive" aspect of a console is 50% independant of it's piracy possibilites, the other 50% is because DS and Wiis sales exploded with the hacks, and games came with that... it never killed a console, and BTW, SONY did killed the dreamcast with the heaviest marketing ever scene at the time.

Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning...