The MIG Switch Thread

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
As I understand it I can't dump physical games without the MS dumper or a modded switch so when you say "elsewhere" I think I know what that means.

I've seen dumps where the game has only "XCI" but others where it has "XCI", "NSP" and "NSZ". What do these actually mean? Can I make do with just "XCI"?

EDIT: bit of googling... so NSP is Eshop software and NSZ is some sort of converted file. So I'm guessing I only need the XCI files?

the migswitch is a cartridge emulator. an xci is not a complete cartridge, just the data partition basically. you need a bunch of additional files beyond the xci to emulate a full cartridge. those files are created when you use the mig dumper, and they can be created by nxdumptool when you are dumping yourself from a modded switch. but they're not available on any pirate sites since each cartridge contains a unique certificate and noone wants to ruin their own cartridge.
congratulations, you've bought a paper weight

• Haha
Reactions: RAD047

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
the migswitch is a cartridge emulator. an xci is not a complete cartridge, just the data partition basically. you need a bunch of additional files beyond the xci to emulate a full cartridge. those files are created when you use the mig dumper, and they can be created by nxdumptool when you are dumping yourself from a modded switch. but they're not available on any pirate sites since each cartridge contains a unique certificate and noone wants to ruin their own cartridge.
congratulations, you've bought a paper weight

He doesn't need all the files unless he plans to play online and the ones he requires to use the cart can be found in the usual places

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
good job spreading misinformation, dumbass. the migswitch always requires all the files.

Strange... Lots of the original youtube vids at the start said it didn't.

Even if it is needing all of them, they don't all need to be from the game you want to play and they can still be found in many of the usual places. Good job spreading misinformation telling him he's bought a paperweight, dumbass.

Reactions: flextcg

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange... Lots of the original youtube vids at the start said it didn't.

Even if it is needing all of them, they don't all need to be from the game you want to play and they can still be found in many of the usual places. Good job spreading misinformation telling him he's bought a paperweight, dumbass.
Thats because most of those videos don't even have their own device. They just rehash information half assed to get a video out without double checking what they are saying.

You also cant get those files from anywhere. Not all of them at least. The initial data file needs to match the xci file.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
Thats because most of those videos don't even have their own device. They just rehash information half assed to get a video out without double checking what they are saying.

You also cant get those files from anywhere. Not all of them at least. The initial data file needs to match the xci file.

There are a few places where people are 'donating' their files for the cause. I imagine these will become more prevalent and widely available in time

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
There are a few places where people are 'donating' their files for the cause. I imagine these will become more prevalent and widely available in time
I wonder if Nintendo will put in a blacklist for known certs that been leaked, so it won't boot in your switch. Not sure how they would do it or if they can, but its maybe possible?

Reactions: mathew77

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder if Nintendo will put in a blacklist for known certs that been leaked, so it won't boot in your switch. Not sure how they would do it or if they can, but its maybe possible?

they absolutely can, and I'm fairly certain they will. All they need to do is push another firmware update.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country

If people go online with them they deserve it. Will be interesting to see how Nintendo do respond though

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If people go online with them they deserve it. Will be interesting to see how Nintendo do respond though
I’m curious how they are gonna handle this kind of situation

Attachments

• IMG_6103.jpeg
    IMG_6103.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: xtrem3x

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country

So if you want to pirate with your migswitch you can:

- currently not play anything, since no complete dumps are available anywhere yet
- never use any online features again
- never download a game update again
- never download dlc again
- never play any game that wasn't released yet at the time you started pirating, since they might require new firmware which you won't be able to get without going online, and the new firmware will most likely have migswitch prevention methods in place

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So if you want to pirate with your migswitch you can:

- currently not play anything, since no complete dumps are available anywhere yet
- never play any game that wasn't released yet at the time you started pirating, since they might require new firmware which you won't be able to get without going online, and the new firmware will most likely have migswitch prevention methods in place
Then its just better to get it modchipped xD

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
Then its just better to get it modchipped xD

and with that, we are back to square one - the hype around this product is weird and undeserved and only exists because people keep parroting misinformation about it being a rainbow-shitting unicorn

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country

All speculation though because nobody knows for sure what Nintendo is going to do.

It could be entirely possible for you to pirate some single player games and still go online legitimately with other games... Nobody knows. Time will tell and it will be interesting.

I have an OG softmodded Switch and a chipped OLED. Still got the Mig-Switch though because I like to muck around with this sort of thing. I'm tempted to pickup a cheap 2nd hand Switch Lite to use it with for shits & giggles

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and with that, we are back to square one - the hype around this product is weird and undeserved and only exists because people keep parroting misinformation about it being a rainbow-shitting unicorn
at least for me I like it because its still cheaper than getting my OLED modchipped. I can't find anyone local to do it for less than $160 when a MIG and Dumper combo(I also a v1) is $130

Too many horror stories of some of these random send in services as well that do it for less than $150 (what reputable modders like modvilleusa chargeish)

Plus if I may or may not be getting help from gamefly its not terribly hard to build a collection

Also I do enjoy the benefit of being able to keep some of my more limited edition games in their cases and still being able to play them (like kingdom two crowns, castle crashers, pokemon shield/expansion pass combo, Mario 3d all stars)

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
at least for me I like it because its still cheaper than getting my OLED modchipped. I can't find anyone local to do it for less than $160 when a MIG and Dumper combo(I also a v1) is $130

Too many horror stories of some of these random send in services as well that do it for less than $150 (what reputable modders like modvilleusa chargeish)

Plus if I may or may not be getting help from gamefly its not terribly hard to build a collection

Also I do enjoy the benefit of being able to keep some of my more limited edition games in their cases and still being able to play them (like kingdom two crowns, castle crashers, pokemon shield/expansion pass combo, Mario 3d all stars)

I certainly agree that it has a purpose and there are valid use cases. But they are far, far more narrow than most people seem to think. I've seen so many people go like "this thing will support menus and cfw and updates and blabla they just haven't added it yet" - no, the migswitch does not circumvent any encryption, does not use any exploit, does not modify anything. The only thing it can do is mimic an original unmodified cartridge and it won't ever do anything else than that. The only meaningful "feature" I can see them adding is smarter game selection by predicting which game you are likely to want based on play time, how recently the file was added etc.
Post automatically merged:

All speculation though because nobody knows for sure what Nintendo is going to do.

It could be entirely possible for you to pirate some single player games and still go online legitimately with other games... Nobody knows. Time will tell and it will be interesting.

I have an OG softmodded Switch and a chipped OLED. Still got the Mig-Switch though because I like to muck around with this sort of thing. I'm tempted to pickup a cheap 2nd hand Switch Lite to use it with for shits & giggles

I'll agree with you on one thing - it's definitely a cool and interesting product.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: balls