The Pokemon Company makes official statement regarding Palworld

aaa.png

From the moment that Palworld was publically unveiled, the comparisons of the game to Pokemon have been rampant. Despite that, Palworld's development team, Pocketpair, has stated that they're not concerned with any negative legal action, as the game is not infringing upon Pokemon, nor other IP copyrights. Meanwhile, the former legal team lead of The Pokemon Company expressed surprise at Palworld, saying he was surprised, "it got that far" when the game was released.

Further adding fuel to the fire was a Twitter user by the name of Byofrog, who began directly comparing Palworld models to Pokemon models, showing similarities between the two. While all of these comments and reactions have been from the public, Nintendo themselves haven't made any statement, until tonight. The Pokemon Company put out a short press release, specifically about Palworld. The full comment is as follows:

We have received many inquiries regarding another company’s game released in January 2024. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokémon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures to address any acts that infringe on intellectual property rights related to the Pokémon. We will continue to cherish and nurture each and every Pokémon and its world, and work to bring the world together through Pokémon in the future.

For now, there doesn't appear to be any immediate action that The Pokemon Company will take, but only time will tell if any sort of investigation leads to legal action.

:arrow: Source

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's inspired by. Don't let the salty Poke fans tell you otherwise.

I'm not a "pokefan" and love Palworld, but the Pals are pretty much a ripoff made by AI (their design/concept art) and probably use altered pokémon as base (the 3D models).
I don't get why pokestans gotta make this such a huge deal if TPC hasn't yet.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm not a "pokefan" and love Palworld, but the Pals are pretty much a ripoff made by AI (their design/concept art) and probably use altered pokémon as base (the 3D models).
I don't get why pokestans gotta make this such a huge deal if TPC hasn't yet.
There is literally no evidence that AI was used and the claims of altered bases was also proven false by the very person who made the claims.
Wait did Palworld steal designs from pokemon or something? I thought it was just inspired by pokemon
Palworld did not steal designs
https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-pok...ement-regarding-palworld.646842/post-10342399

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
The person who made this claim actually lied and even admitted it was a lie. They had actually modified the models themself because they want the game removed from the market

View attachment 416113View attachment 416114
View attachment 416115
They are literally a narcissist who joined Twitter just to spread misinformation about this game for their own reasons.
And even doubled down their bullshit
View attachment 416116

I am also going to say that Pokémon isn’t free of sin either
View attachment 416118View attachment 416117
Clearly inspired off Tiger from Monster Rancer
View attachment 416119View attachment 416120
Lucario taking inspiration from Renamon
View attachment 416121View attachment 416122

Those are some easy one and there are definitely more, like the Dragon Quest inspired Pokémon
View attachment 416123
Or just the fact that Pokémon wasn’t even the first Monster collecting game. Both SMT and Dragon Quest 4 came first
View attachment 416124View attachment 416125

Seriously, Pokemon Company shouldn’t be wasting their time on the claims of a narcissist who just wanted attention. They aren’t going anywhere with this one because parody, inspired by, satire, and so on are protected under copyright laws and Palworld is very much different enough for those laws to apply. They should be spending their time investigating why both GameFreak and Nintendo lied about future support and improvements on the Pokémon Legends and S/V.
I'm not reading all that but "oh" he lied. What a dumbass.

I guess Pokemon company should just have kept quiet

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm not reading all that but "oh" he lied. What a dumbass.

I guess Pokemon company should just have kept quiet
You don’t have to the point really being that people shouldn’t have given a narcissist attention and Pokémon company just looks silly doing this.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The person who made this claim actually lied and even admitted it was a lie. They had actually modified the models themself because they want the game removed from the market

View attachment 416113View attachment 416114
View attachment 416115
They are literally a narcissist who joined Twitter just to spread misinformation about this game for their own reasons.
And even doubled down their bullshit
View attachment 416116

I am also going to say that Pokémon isn’t free of sin either
View attachment 416118View attachment 416117
Clearly inspired off Tiger from Monster Rancer
View attachment 416119View attachment 416120
Lucario taking inspiration from Renamon
View attachment 416121View attachment 416122

Those are some easy one and there are definitely more, like the Dragon Quest inspired Pokémon
View attachment 416123
Or just the fact that Pokémon wasn’t even the first Monster collecting game. Both SMT and Dragon Quest 4 came first
View attachment 416124View attachment 416125

Seriously, Pokemon Company shouldn’t be wasting their time on the claims of a narcissist who just wanted attention. They aren’t going anywhere with this one because parody, inspired by, satire, and so on are protected under copyright laws and Palworld is very much different enough for those laws to apply. They should be spending their time investigating why both GameFreak and Nintendo lied about future support and improvements on the Pokémon Legends and S/V.
THIS!
I was going to post the proof, but thank you for doin' it!
This was the person I mentioned fabricating evidence.

Like I said, MENTAL. PATIENTS!
Seriously, people like this need to be locked up.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
They're probably just doing this because people have been bootlicking them to do it

I can't understand how some people are truly defending Pokemon more than they would take side for their own father. Just get a job or something. Nintendo knows they can't do shit about it
Post automatically merged:

You just bought into a bunch of lies. There is no proof or anything to claim that the designs were made by AI (and even if it was, it's still not all because the game was shown first in 2021, much before the AI boom we know), and only some of the designs could be thought as similar because ..... I guess Pokemon invented animals somehow

Even the 3D models that are supposedly used as a base are lies, the guy that showed it first on Twitter was proven to be a liar and admitted to it

Can we really let Pokemon have the monopoly over drawing sheeps or hedgehogs ?

Last edited by LightBeam,

therabbitofthenorth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chillet is obviously an adjusted Furret.
Furret is literally JUST a ferret. Chillet is an *ice* ferret with an entirely unrelated design. Are you telling me that Nintendo owns a species now?

Everything is inspired by what came before it, so if it isn't a 1:1 copy, it can still be enjoyed as its own thing. Hell, Palworld has Churches of Marika and Evergaols in it.
Palworld also has Devil Fruits, but they’re called Skill Fruits in the game and function as TMs. It’s great how much inspiration they nab, makes for fun reference hunting.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Furret is literally JUST a ferret. Chillet is an *ice* ferret with an entirely unrelated design. Are you telling me that Nintendo owns a species now?

That's what happens when people don't even know there are other animals besides dogs and cats.
Don't teach them even basic biology or they will short circuit.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's what happens when people don't even know there are other animals besides dogs and cats.
Or even Monster collecting games outside of and before Pokémon.
Pokémon just won Capitalism, that’s all they did. They weren’t the first to anything nor are they even that original. And this is coming from someone who’s loves the brand since Red/Blue.

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of optimism in these comments.

Palworld is going to lose this for sure. $92 billion dollar franchise vs not $92 billion dollar franchise. Money speaks.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as someone who loves to use palworld to shit on pokemon, i'll say the only legal issues they can have is with their designs, not because the monsters look like pokeys, but because some of the designs are too simillar to be not be plagiarism
the game is fun, but the monster design aspect was so lazy, there are so many people out there passionate about monster design, hire them, get them to work with you, there are monster thing indies out there like cassette beasts that has creative deisgns inspired by both pokemon and culture but still looking unique enough, honestly the designs are my only issue with palworld

Now look at the Gen 1 Pokédex and some of the Dragon Quest monsters.

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's true when there's an actual case tho
Thats the thing. When you have billions of dollars like that, you can hire enough lawyers to nitpick the case and find reasonable grounds for a lawsuit. Unfortunately, that will likely be the case here.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Lots of optimism in these comments.

Palworld is going to lose this for sure. $92 billion dollar franchise vs not $92 billion dollar franchise. Money speaks.
That's true when there's an actual case tho
Being that it’s going to be on the Xbox, I am actually hoping Microsoft steps in to help out.
It’s a weird day when I am hoping Microsoft steps in

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thats the thing. When you have billions of dollars like that, you can hire enough lawyers to nitpick the case and find reasonable grounds for a lawsuit. Unfortunately, that will likely be the case here.
That's far from impossible but I don't know, I don't think they would want to go to such huge lengths for a case that isn't necessarily going to work out for them given the few amount of elements there is (there's none).
We know it's Nintendo we're talking about but I feel like they've been going on cases where they at least have some legal ground to stand on but here, the ground seems soft. We'll see, I just can't have a definitive opinion on what will happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok