The Pokemon Company makes official statement regarding Palworld

aaa.png

From the moment that Palworld was publically unveiled, the comparisons of the game to Pokemon have been rampant. Despite that, Palworld's development team, Pocketpair, has stated that they're not concerned with any negative legal action, as the game is not infringing upon Pokemon, nor other IP copyrights. Meanwhile, the former legal team lead of The Pokemon Company expressed surprise at Palworld, saying he was surprised, "it got that far" when the game was released.

Further adding fuel to the fire was a Twitter user by the name of Byofrog, who began directly comparing Palworld models to Pokemon models, showing similarities between the two. While all of these comments and reactions have been from the public, Nintendo themselves haven't made any statement, until tonight. The Pokemon Company put out a short press release, specifically about Palworld. The full comment is as follows:

We have received many inquiries regarding another company’s game released in January 2024. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokémon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures to address any acts that infringe on intellectual property rights related to the Pokémon. We will continue to cherish and nurture each and every Pokémon and its world, and work to bring the world together through Pokémon in the future.

For now, there doesn't appear to be any immediate action that The Pokemon Company will take, but only time will tell if any sort of investigation leads to legal action.

:arrow: Source

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really don't understand why people feel the need to contact nintendo or whoever to tell then that palworld is evil 🤦🏻

I am pretty sure if they find anything they will sue even if noone tells them to so so and if there is nothing they just can't.

People are having fun with the game so just wait if Nintendo does something and don't annoy Nintendo nor the people playing palworld

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe there's so many people questioning whether or not Nintendo and the Pokemon company can win in a lawsuit against palworld developers. the truth is, the result of the lawsuit doesn't matter, Nintendo has the power to bury a company in legal fees... just like when Sony lost their lawsuit against bleem. Bleem won (this is why emulators are considered legal today) but bleem was crushed by the legal fees and ended up going bankrupt anyway... it doesn't matter if Nintendo can win this lawsuit all that matters is the result.

Reactions: osaka35

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait did Palworld steal designs from pokemon or something? I thought it was just inspired by pokemon
The line between stealing and being inspired is thin. Most people saying "steal" look at palworld designs and can go "yup, that's this pokémon mixed with this pokémon" or "yup, that's this pokemon just with this element as a motif". Most people saying inspired by are going "they're both generic! can't say they stole if they're pulling from the same thing".

You see stolen stuff constantly, on youtube or tiktok or steam or whatnot, where its just someone else's idea presented in a way they don't get credit. At what point does "stolen" become transformative enough it becomes "inspired by"? That's a tricky question, but I think Palworld is legally distinct enough it'll be fine. But I also think it's fair to say they definitely took some pokémon characters and added their own spin, some spun more than others, as well as threw in some original ideas/ideas from elsewhere.

If you can see the sheep at the beginning and not think wooloo, then i don't know what to tell ya. I'll just call them all "fakémon", and focus more on how it plays. Who cares if it's a clone of/stolen bits from a few successful games, so long as it's fun.

On an additional note, it ain't a pokémon game, so I don't understand people saying this is all they wanted from a pokémon game...this is a completely different genre in so many ways. most of the game is cherry picked mechanics from other games, but there is some obviously from pokémon, such as the capturing. It's a frakenstein game with loops that work well together. But it ain't a pokémon game. a pokémon spinoff game like this would be fun though.

Last edited by osaka35,

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
byofrog also admitted to faking her comparison screen shots because "the game glorified animal cruelty". its a nontraversy. bunch of cringe pokemon fans and bitter leftists whipped up the ignorant mob because they live sad and lonely lives.
And this is why you should never agree to a 14-year old's opinion on Twitter (aka X).

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

thunderboy17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pokémon is too big to fail. As long as they do the bare minimum, the game will still sell millions, even after all the competitors started to pop up.
They don't gain nothing from shutting down Palworld, they don't need to... unless they really suspect the possibility of stolen assets.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
byofrog also admitted to faking her comparison screen shots because "the game glorified animal cruelty". its a nontraversy. bunch of cringe pokemon fans and bitter leftists whipped up the ignorant mob because they live sad and lonely lives.

why did you bring politics into the mix? go back to the World events forum where that belongs
Post automatically merged:

remember folks DW4 predates Pokemon and had a monster taming mechanic i can't wrap my head around why people feel that both can't exist

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know I have likes and dislikes, much like anyone else. What mostly got me about Palworld at first was what I thought was an all online multiplayer game, what gave that idea though was the tags on the Steam page not having "singleplayer" tagged, and all the videos I've seen of it just talking about things to do, all in multiplayer though (no idea why singleplayer was never a highlight to mention). Turns out I just didn't look well enough at the Steam page and saw more appropriate mentions of what the game really is. I did end up seeing someone else mention and post about the whole model thing, wasn't sure what to think because technically last I checked, if it's different enough legally speaking, it doesn't count as infringing, but with the track record of all the DMCAs and such, it wouldn't surprise me if something were to happen regardless (personally I don't think anything really can). In a wild world like mine, anything wrong seems to be possible and more prominent, anything right tends to be pushed to the side and or curb stomped most the time.

I will say however that regardless of how I felt or feel now about Palworld, I never once thought someone, or a bunch of people would actually contact these companies about this. I always thought the companies sort of figured these things out for themselves and would pursue that way. Based on some of the comments I'm reading, literal death threats??? What the fuck man, it's a video game? I've been playing Pokémon for years, played up to the seventh generation, the eighth and ninth generation are dogshit, with the choices made, and their buggy natures respectively, it's not worth even acknowledging their existence. Palworld may not be what I would deem to be the "better" Pokemon game, but sitting and basically trying to kill it just because it's more enjoyable to other people, that's just stupid, I've played my share of titles that basically clone, replicate, etc. the main hitters out there and they sometimes are also enjoyable. Pokemon, Digimon, Bakugan, etc. are all franchises that involve creatures, pretty sure all inspired variations of each other in some degree. Those who are trying to kill it, you are going way to far to the extreme, death threats included.

I just want better Pokémon games personally. Well, I want better video games period, and I don't mean "I want flashy graphics" and all that crap, I'm talking actual high quality video games that are worth remembering and worth my time, preferably optimized games because I have to admit, requiring 16GB of RAM or more seems rather strange, I barely just upgraded my RAM from 16GB to 48GB (don't ask why the odd amount) just so I can use software for media related work, the fact now video games are requiring that is a bit concerning, I'm personally not convinced video games are really that demanding much like more hardware intensive production duties are (rather tired of the whole gamer "need a high end rig" pumping going on as it is). With the amount of shortcuts and such developers take for these games, it's hard to buy that we now require some hefty amounts of hardware capabilities to run stuff, I just think too much laziness and lack of optimizations are taking place to make them work with an even broader range of hardware, but that's just me.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow i just don't know what to say.... even if i did want to say what i wanted to say i might say wrong and piss people off.... oh well....

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You know I have likes and dislikes, much like anyone else. What mostly got me about Palworld at first was what I thought was an all online multiplayer game, what gave that idea though was the tags on the Steam page not having "singleplayer" tagged, and all the videos I've seen of it just talking about things to do, all in multiplayer though (no idea why singleplayer was never a highlight to mention). Turns out I just didn't look well enough at the Steam page and saw more appropriate mentions of what the game really is. I did end up seeing someone else mention and post about the whole model thing, wasn't sure what to think because technically last I checked, if it's different enough legally speaking, it doesn't count as infringing, but with the track record of all the DMCAs and such, it wouldn't surprise me if something were to happen regardless (personally I don't think anything really can). In a wild world like mine, anything wrong seems to be possible and more prominent, anything right tends to be pushed to the side and or curb stomped most the time.

I will say however that regardless of how I felt or feel now about Palworld, I never once thought someone, or a bunch of people would actually contact these companies about this. I always thought the companies sort of figured these things out for themselves and would pursue that way. Based on some of the comments I'm reading, literal death threats??? What the fuck man, it's a video game? I've been playing Pokémon for years, played up to the seventh generation, the eighth and ninth generation are dogshit, with the choices made, and their buggy natures respectively, it's not worth even acknowledging their existence. Palworld may not be what I would deem to be the "better" Pokemon game, but sitting and basically trying to kill it just because it's more enjoyable to other people, that's just stupid, I've played my share of titles that basically clone, replicate, etc. the main hitters out there and they sometimes are also enjoyable. Pokemon, Digimon, Bakugan, etc. are all franchises that involve creatures, pretty sure all inspired variations of each other in some degree. Those who are trying to kill it, you are going way to far to the extreme, death threats included.

I just want better Pokémon games personally. Well, I want better video games period, and I don't mean "I want flashy graphics" and all that crap, I'm talking actual high quality video games that are worth remembering and worth my time, preferably optimized games because I have to admit, requiring 16GB of RAM or more seems rather strange, I barely just upgraded my RAM from 16GB to 48GB (don't ask why the odd amount) just so I can use software for media related work, the fact now video games are requiring that is a bit concerning, I'm personally not convinced video games are really that demanding much like more hardware intensive production duties are (rather tired of the whole gamer "need a high end rig" pumping going on as it is). With the amount of shortcuts and such developers take for these games, it's hard to buy that we now require some hefty amounts of hardware capabilities to run stuff, I just think too much laziness and lack of optimizations are taking place to make them work with an even broader range of hardware, but that's just me.
People are legit mentally unwell these days and sadly apps like Twitter have become more centered around narcissists than ever before. Instead of slowing down to think, people believe the first lies they see and run with them. Even in this thread, people repeat the same lies they read on Twitter. In a sane world, a new account made literally the same day the game came out, would have been treated with skepticism and not held to such a high degree. The fact that the person who spread the lies even admitted to lying should have been enough to stop this mess, but instead, it's continuing to escalate. These narcissists shouldn't have this kind of power and scary that they do.

dudeguy2022

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was kind of hoping that they would say something like "there does not appear to be any copyrighted material in their game, so we will not be taking legal action"

Reactions: The Catboy

HextarVigar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
> "(Pakworld) glorified animal cruelty"
> defends a game in which you make slave creatures engage in gladiatorial combat. For money.

I can smell the autism from here.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are legit mentally unwell these days and sadly apps like Twitter have become more centered around narcissists than ever before. Instead of slowing down to think, people believe the first lies they see and run with them. Even in this thread, people repeat the same lies they read on Twitter. In a sane world, a new account made literally the same day the game came out, would have been treated with skepticism and not held to such a high degree. The fact that the person who spread the lies even admitted to lying should have been enough to stop this mess, but instead, it's continuing to escalate. These narcissists shouldn't have this kind of power and scary that they do.
Well to a certain degree we are at fault just as much as they are, sure we a lot of times do more research than others just to get some sense of truth in things, but with the internet being the way it is, it's also easy to believe in the wrong stuff too if common enough. We all are victim of this, a case like this especially, once it's posted, it spreads like a nasty wildfire. Not excusing the actions taken of course, especially those going way too hard and far with it. The other thing we are at fault for is allowing a platform for unhealthy individuals to reside on. In the earlier days of the internet, it wasn't unheard or uncommon to see posts from individuals basically clobbering another person doing stupid stuff on the platform, to the point the idiot either left for good or actually changed to be better people a little later, in which they were welcomed after said changes. Now it's not like that anymore, any random dipshit can join and cause mayhem no questions asked, and others no longer give them the boot about it. It's one of those changes I feel was a bad change, we should have never removed the boot from the situation. Sure, that just led to more obscure platforms being created for the bad groups of individuals, but the reality was, a lot of people knew their place, we knew what to avoid, and honestly it should have been kept that way.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
One less shit fest of a game out there the better.
Would be nice if TPC finally stepped in and made GameFreak unrelease S/V. Maybe they will actually make a game half as polished Palworld.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to get nimble + swift + runner? I think that would be 60 or 65%. We've gotten nimble runner on one of our breeds recently.
I think so, though mine is only swift + nimble, with ferocious + hard skin for the other two passives. Still ridiculously fast compared to the base movement speed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Veho @ Veho: Cool.